Hello Fellow Alopecians,

I am currently shopping for my first wig and need advice. I have lost more than half of my hair and it is shedding more than ever, it is only a matter of time before I need a wig. I went to a Follea rep last Sunday and I am really not a candidate for a topper since I am shedding so rapidly. Since I do have hair left, my rep recommended a Follea gripper cool. She said we can sew combs in for security then remove them when needed as the hair continues to thin.

I tried on a few, but she did not have a piece with my density and color, so it was really difficult to imagine. She is ordering one to my specifications so I can try it on before I shell out the money... I am sure you all know the price of this brand.

I am not really concerned with the price, I just want to be comfortable in it and purchase a top quality, realistic piece.

Does anyone have experience with Follea? I am not opposed to other brands, it just appears that Follea is one of the more desirable brands out there.

Thanks for your help!

Jen

Views: 1194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok....If you want to do a comparison with the wigs that I know about then feel free.

Freedom Wigs.....are made for those with extreme long term hairloss  (you have to have no hair or be willing to take away the hair you have to get the best result with this type of wig).

Hair.....Is 100% unprocessed virgin human hair.  

Differences between processed hair and virgin hair. 

Names...there are many of them for processed hair (the most common at the moment being European hair).  This is very confusing for the end user and frustrates me no end.  If the hair is processed in anyway it is not virgin hair.  Be aware of this!  It should be cheaper.  Often there are issues with the way the hair moves and looks (but not always, as sometimes coating are used to make the hair look more like virgin hair).  

100% unprocessed virgin hair...beautiful, has longevity around the way it looks, moves and reacts like hair should.  It is expensive and is sometimes not readily available in lighter colours.  

Freedom has full customisation from beginning to end. 

Customisation vs stock wigs (boxed wigs)

With customisation you have to be fully engaged with the process from beginning to end.  Fit, hair colour, curl preference, end styling etc.  Need to be fully understood.  In my opinion this is the least that should happen with getting a prosthetic that works for you.  Downside of this it can be time consuming and the commitment from you and the sellers has to be caring and educational.  You need to tell the person what you need and they need to tell you what can and can't be achieved.  The relationship is important.

Fit is achieved on a Freedom Wig by using a medical scanner to get the most accurate end result for the wearer.

Boxed wigs or stock wigs.  

What you get is what is in the box.  I believe customisation can be achieved with fit to some degree, but unless you fit their stock wigs, you will have to work within those restrictions.  You can try on the wig and make sure it looks good on you and for many this is a plus. :)  In my experience with my daughter I could never find a wig that looked like it should.  Hence I prefer full customisation. 

Caps...what to expect...

Vacuum Freedom Wigs are made with medical grade silicone.  They are vapour permeable so when you perspire the perspiration can pass through the cap keeping the wearer comfortable.  They are smooth and fit you as accurately as possible.  They are hard wearing and easily maintained.  You can wash your hair in the shower (if you wish), you can swim in them....you can live life in them.  They are secure and the implantation of the hair is such that it is realistic over the whole head.  The perimeter edge still needs to be looked after...baby hairs and good cutting techniques are required to create the hairstyle and end result that works for you.  

Stock wigs/boxed wigs.

There are many combinations of choices with stock wigs.  

Wefts...hair is sewn onto lace type fabric in long lengths this is then sewn along that fabrics creating tracks(the lace can be thin or thicker) the tracks can be close together or more distanced. The closer the tracks of hair are I believe the better the end result, but there is always gaps in between the lace strips and the result from a distance is ok...close up and in the wind ...not as good.  (It can look quite matted and not overly realistic).

Combination Wefts and Handtieing (lace tops and lace fronts)

Often wefts will be sewn around the back of the head and the sides but the parting area will be handtied giving a more realistic finish.  

Handtieing can be done over the whole wig as well.  This would often be more expensive and depending on the construction these wigs can be a little more fragile.

Handtieing has it's own set of challenges...return hairs either need to be processed so they don't tangle readily or cut very close to the cap to discourage tangling.

In some cases the above is options are combined with a silicone edge which is slightly smaller than your head to give a grippy type result. These wigs also have a lace type front. The silicone is sometimes put on each weft to create more security as well.

Wefts...what they mean to a wig wearer.  These wigs should be well priced as they are able to be manufactured on mass with minimum cost.  (Often the hair is processed with this type of construction as the cuticle can cause issues with knotting etc.  if it is not processed), but if it is processed the same thing occurs as the hair will not move and look like everyone else's growing hair and after time can become dry and tangly. 

With lace caps, conventional caps and combinations of these type of caps, maintenance can become an issue, as knots can come undone if conditioner and shampoo gets to the knots...so washing is something that needs to be done carefully.  

Also, with these type of caps the oils and sweats go into the cap, sometimes making them damp and itchy and as they are not as easily maintained this can become uncomfortable for a wearer.  

Some wigs will have the handtied hair hidden between two layers which is a very realistic result for the end user, but often has very little security (French top).  This also puts another layer on the persons head which can be hotter (sort of like layering up blankets...it causes insulation). Good in winter...not so comfortable in summer. 

The construction of a wig and the end result runs hand in hand....there are pro's and con's for each construction type.  This is where you have to work out what is going to be best for you.

The cost of a fully customised handtied piece with a French top can be expensive...especially if 100% virgin hair is used.  The end result can be impressive...but often there is little security for those that have no hair at all...it really depends on your personal needs.  

I know that wearers...myself included have personal opinion about what works best for them and I fully support that.  I don't feel comfortable with comparing...but will if that is helpful.

I wish this was like Christmas trees....but it isn't this is how somebody wants to present themselves...it has many different facets and needs of that person.  It is not a simple this is best option...it is to do with the end user and their needs.  Budget...longevity...look...comfort etc. are beyond important.  The last time I looked at a Christmas tree I didn't consider these issues as they were not relevant.  I am a Christmas freak and also from Christchurch...I lived there for most of my life,  Ballantynes use to have the most beautiful Christmas displays.  But when I think of my daughter and her particular needs it is nothing like looking at Christmas decorations...that is just plain fun...looking for a wig is a pretty serious business as people are often feeling very vulnerable and concerned.  

Information needs to be clear and truthful...personal opinion is also very relevant, but it has to be tempered with thoughtful responses.

Rosy

I always wonder why anyone tells you they can sew in a few combs to secure the wig.  When you have little hair and what you do have is so thin and fine and fragile, what is there to attach a comb to?  A comb would never attach to what I have left, just as I am incapable of putting my hair into a low ponytail to secure a wig at the back.  Good luck in the quest for finding a wig.....

Lexi,  Love your comment!  I'm sure that I am not the only one that can relate. Milano WiGrip comfort band is now my BF.

Hi Jen.  I have been wearing wigs now for about 5 years---i am TOTALLY without any hair anywhere.  I really understand the near panic people feel when at the point in which you find yourself.  Take a deep breath.  Now....first I would avoid ordering from wig catalogues since the "out of the box and wear it" claims rarely, if ever, are true.  Next, I would find a wig vendor in your area whom you can trust.  This was the biggest blessing I had in my search.  The first vendor was horrid and treated me like an interruption of her life, so ask around, do your homework here.  Once you find a high quality and compassionate person, you will have an invaluable source to help you choose a wig.  What are your needs:  cost?  lifestyle?  trying to get a wig that mimics your own hair?  human vs synthetic?  willingness to "rock different styles and colors"?  A good consult of about an hour can answer your questions.  Then the vendor can style the wig you chose to your face and desires.  This really is easier than it sounds.  

I finally chose synthetic wigs and now have 3 really adorable wigs of different styles and slightly different colors.  The cost is very reasonable and since they last about 6 months or more I am spending less in a year than I did on a color, cut and style for my own hair.  But people who choose human hair seem to love them as well. Both have pros and cons.

One piece of minor advice I can give is to use a net cap under your wig.  I tried the bands and they were hard to manage and quite uncomfortable.

You WILL be OK.  Don't panic if your first wig isn't all that.  I would not again  use the first one I chose 5 years ago, but it was good and I learned.

Blessings and Hugs.

Which wigs did you finally decide upon, if I may ask?

good luck with your new wig!  let us know how it works out.  i tried a follea, but it was too itchy for me.  i thought i was going to go out of my  mind.  (i now know how my kids felt before i cut all the tags out of their clothes!)  it sounds like you will be looking terrific for the new year!

If only the wig looks that good.  Geez, if only I could look that good.  I think that model would even look great with a bald head!  Oh well, maybe in the next life  :-)

It looks pretty, but looks pretty thick.  Unnatural. And what happens after paying all of the money for a Follea and you find it is itchy for you?  I couldn't even imagine that happening. Plus most people don't wear that hair looking like that picture on a regular basis, at least I feel they don't.  Pulling it back, or behind the ears, or a low pony tail is a more natural look.  Grocery shopping, running errands, working out, you know, the normal things normal people usually do.....one doesn't wear their hair in that style for doing those things. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service