Obviously, hair loss can be very traumatic and cause an assortment of negative consequences. I'm not trying to downplay that or tell anyone how to feel.

However, it's been my experience that focusing solely on the negative aspects of my condition blinds me to any silver linings. :) 

Does anyone have any pros due to their hair loss? 

Here are a couple of mine:

1). I learned to be more accepting of others

2). My niece thinks I'm cool because of my "magic brows" (no you see them...)

3). Superficial dates weed themselves out and I've been left with the kindest guy ever

4). Halloween costumes are more fun and dramatic (I was Nebula from Guardians of the Galaxy) 

5). I learned to be more accepting of myself 

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Icarus money saved on hair products is a big one for me! Can't believe I didn't think of it sooner! :-)

The money you saved on hair products you spend on wigs.

I usually make my own wigs so the hair/netting etc. is cheaper than all my old products.

I also buy eyebrow pencils but it's still cheaper than getting them waxed all the time.

I like your honesty though so refreshing! :-)
Pros
Makes you emotionally stronger and confidence.. Well it has made me that.
Saves money on hair cuts and products.
When I was a kid I thought it was unique.
Emotional strength is hard to come by no matter your age or appearance. I'd like to think we have a head start! :-)
That's so sweet Maria! Good point too.

No bad hair days. Ever.

Catbert

Good point. Even better name!

1. I have semi permanent makeup for my brows and they have never looked better and I never have to spend any time on them (when I had hair I had a unibrow/bushy brows I plucked 24/7

2. I'm a swimmer so now I never have to worry about my hair being wet all day after I swim. Now, I swim any time of day (and maybe I'm a bit faster?)

3. I have so many new scarves/hats

4. I think the sort of baldness I have (and maybe you) where I don't have visible roots, so it's just one smooth bald head looks particularly feminine. I don't wear my bald head out often as I usually wear a hat, scarce or occasionally a wig, but when I do, I feel fairly pretty without stubble compared to when I had to shave it with areata. :)

5. I'm an attention lover (been a performer all of my life) so when I want to have all eyes on me at an event, I dress in something fabulous and show off my lovely bald head. :)

6. Having dealt with such a hard time at a young age (lost it at 21), I have found who my real friends are (and I lost a good amount of "leeches") judging by who was there for me when I was devastated by it. 

7. Finally, and most importantly for me, is that I rely less on what people think of me, and how many compliments I get in a day. I used to have the longest, curliest, most luscious hair and people loved it. I prided myself on it, and the fact that guys fell over me because of my looks. Now, I am more of a controversial lady. Some guys and gals like me, and some outrightly do not like the bald thing, finding it unattractive or don't want to "deal with" whatever my baldness means. Instead of getting hurt or annoyed by that like I would have reacted in the past, now I just realize they are shallow people and move on. Since I've only been bald for 7 months it still feels fairly new to me so I know if I am still this bald in years to come, I will just become stronger, wiser and more independent :)

You're a performer? Way to go, not letting your hair loss hold you back. I agree, it just enhances your features.

Wise and lovely they better watch out, ha!

Here are my pros to hair loss:

• No more waxing or plucking my brows-- I now have permanent makeup brows and I love 'em.
  • Love the feel of the shower head on my bald scalp in the morning, it is absolutely therapeutic! 
  • Don't have to spend half of my day in anyone's salon "gettin' my hurr" done anymore, yayy!
  • Don't have to worry with scarfs and du-rags at night to preserve a style. 
  • Save a bunch of money not buying hair products
  • Save a bunch of time not obsessing over hair
  • Attract better quality people that are as superficial
  • Forced to repair my self esteem and confidence
  • Met some great friends
  • A part of something bigger than myself
  • Made me a stronger person

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service