I was recently diagnosed with lichen planopilaris.  I have lost most of my eyebrows and just starting with a receeding hair line.

I am looking for suggestions regarding what to do with my hair.  I currently have sholder length hair but would like to be able to cover my fore head with bangs, which I don't currently have.  If anyone lives in NJ and can suggest a hair salon that is good with short hair, that would be great. 

I have noticed that when I try to blow dry my hair, my fore head becomes red.  Going to Derm on Friday but thought I would run it past everyone on the board.

Thanks,

Ellen

Views: 662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Ellen!

I hope you have a terrific time on vacation.  I am sorry to say this but yes, we will keep losing our hair until we are completely bald and hopefully the pain will stop.  I just use the topical.  My derm suggest I take to oral pill and I found out that it would destroy my immune system and it would not regrow my hair but stop the inflammation.  To me, that pill is not worth the risk. 

If you cut/trim the hair you have, it will grow again.    Talk to you soon.

Maria

Hi Maria. 

Thanks for the info.  I looked up the woman that you suggested and it looks like she is in Pennsville, which is about 3 hours away for me.  I may have found a place in Clinton, NJ which is only about 30 minutes from me. 

This woman also does wigs and deal with hair loss.  I am setting up a consultation with her to start with.  Will let you know how it goes.

Ellen

That is great!!!  Let me know what she says and I am curious to see how much she charges too. Yes, please keep me posted and good luck.  :)

I have an appointment for Saturday, October 11th.  Below is the website, if you want to check it out. 

http://www.splitenzsalonstudio.com/

I did notice that salon does scalp treatments. I do have some of the scaling but not sure if I should have someone else do a treatment or just the derm?  Your thoughts? 

So I just looked a the link.  Sounds like a nice salon bu I am curious as to how they can have a custom wig made he same day.  Mine is human hair and took 10 weeks start to finish and everything is custom to fit me (and has never been colored).  I is just my nature to be suspicious when it seems too good to be true.  :)   I do have the scaling too, but I just take care of it myself by really scrubbing my head when my wig comes off.  My derm has never mentioned anything about getting scalp treatments.  What the salon may do or products they use, may aggravate your LPP.  I would ask your derm first before you allow a non-medical person touch your head.  Just my thought.  :) 

Maria, do you know the name of the pill that is said to destroy your immune system? Hoping it is not Finasteride.
Houle (Ellen) Do you know the name of the oral medication that causes cancer? This scares me as I am taking Finasteride orally and was never advised of a cancer scare. My mother had breast and bowel cancer so very concerned.

Hi Kojack.  The med that was prescribed was Cellcept.  The informational sheet says it causes Lymphoma.  Personally, I would rather lose my hair to Alopecia than lose it to cancer. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service