I was wondering how many of you have shaved your head? Recently my AA has gotten so bad that it's barely worth it to even keep the little hair I have left, so I am really considering shaving it off and being done with it. I do wear a wig, but I am still scared to actually shave it off. I'm sure over time I'll be brave enough to do it, but I was wondering how you coped, and how you made the decision, or what made you feel like you could/should? Any advice or support would be appreciated :)

Views: 4897

Replies to This Discussion

Wow I remember making that decision when I was 21 yrs old. I am 32 now. It was frustrating to try to cover the bald spots. I was diagnosed with AA when i was 17. By the time I was 21 I didn't have enough to keep styling hair different to cover up my spots..so I said enough and I buzzed it off..It is a big change and it takes a bit to get used to but it was so worth it for me!! I wear a wig now. Started out with the synthetic wigs, then moved on to the prosthetic wigs, which are my favorite they are just expensive. I have AA so I am constantly shaving my head so that the prosthetic wig will suction to my head better..ah but the freedom of wind blowing your hair and it not falling off or going on rollercoaster rides, riding motorcycles, snowboarding, and swimming is amazing. Yes I do wear bandanas around home or go bald..but I love having hair..so the prosthetic/human hair is my favorite!! Good luck with your decision. This website is awesome!! I never had anyone to talk to about my alopecia back then. Take care. Steph
Yeah that would be really really nice. Thanks a lot for replying! And I agree about this website.
shaved my head in july,have full head of hair now,just found a spot in anew place yesterday and my other eyebrow is catching up in loss to the other, so it is bitter sweet. i think i would rather have 2 eyebrows than hair
Ah, I guess for guys it's different. I would definitely take my hair back and give up my eyebrows and lashes. Even though they're already missing, haha. I just use fake lashes and can draw in my brows.
I agree - even though I'm a woman. I think the eyebrow loss is worse than the hair loss. I can wear a wig or a head scarf , but the loss of eyebrows & eyelashes makes me look ill. Luckily, I wear glasses. As a woman, it's probably more acceptable for me to use eyebrow makeup, so I feel for you.
Hi Charity,

You may find the post in Sisterhood of woman who shaved their heads.

This is also a post on how do you know when you are ready as well as thoughts and reactions of women who have.

I eventually shaved my head and for me it was a relief not to keep watching it fall out or have to deal with the strands that I had left. It was an emotional time, but I don't regret shaving it. You will know when you are ready, because either you will just get up and do it or you will make a plan and a ceremony out of it. At the time I did it by myself, but I do like the stories of women who have made a ceremony with friends or family when they did it and it became more of celebration.
You could not be more right. That is what I am doing now, making a big celebration with all my family and friends there when I get it done. I still have tons of hair, but I am tired of watching it fall out every day. I really do not want to go through this up and down, I would rather just be bald and get some fun wigs.
I'm struggling with this as well. I am maybe about 45% bald right now, all in spots all over my head, the largest being right on top which is about 3.5 inches in diameter. I cut off a lot of it a few weeks back, but still have some. I never even gave shaving it much thought until I found this site, and saw so many bald, beautiful, proud folks! I still hesitate and wonder what clinched that decision for those who did shave. I am curious to hear what you decided, and then see some pictures!
Of course, it is easier for me, being a guy, but I've shaved my head for ten years now and love it! I've encountered many women who have gone this route and I admit while a bit more extreme than many would be comfortable with, I have found them to be incredibly sexy in their self confidence and take charge attitude toward their alopecia. If you can look everyone in the eye and square your shoulders, go for it. Buddy
Hi, Charity:

I could no longer stand the ugly bald patches surrounded by thin hair, so I then shaved it ALL off, and wear wigs. My bald head looks so much better than the "patchy" look. It took me years to do it, but when I did I was so happy!
Hi Charity. I shaved my head 2 years ago. I have had AA for 10years, but most recently it had gotten so bad that I had more scalp than hair. I used to get really down and depressed about having to hide it every day, so i decided over about a week or so tht I would shave it. I still have to shave parts of my head regularly (about every 2-3 days) as I get a little stubble. But other than that it is alot less fuss, and once every knows about it, it is not problem at all!!

Hope everything goes well, and take care! x
i shave my head all the time. its easier, i dont wear a wig or bandana or anything to cover it up either. i have fun with it. i actually paint my head for concerts and stuff i go to. but i never did much with my hair when i did have it so idk if id be much help on the situation :P

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service