I was wondering how many of you have shaved your head? Recently my AA has gotten so bad that it's barely worth it to even keep the little hair I have left, so I am really considering shaving it off and being done with it. I do wear a wig, but I am still scared to actually shave it off. I'm sure over time I'll be brave enough to do it, but I was wondering how you coped, and how you made the decision, or what made you feel like you could/should? Any advice or support would be appreciated :)

Views: 4897

Replies to This Discussion

If I were as brave as you, Donna, I swear I would get the Mandarin Chinese characters for "bravery" tatooed on my bald head! You go, girl!
hmmm... ive actually thought about getting a tattoo on my head, that would hurt so bad but itd be worth it :D and u can be as brave, i know its hard but just dont worry about what other people think about you. do what makes u happy. if other people have a problem with it then thats it, thats THEIR problem, not urs. all that matters is that ur happy :D
I shave my head pretty close but I haven't been able to bring myself to going full bald down to the skin.
Im pretty fortunate, since my alopecia is "ophiasis pattern", so I still have a lot of hair but i have a white band on the nape of my neck and a nearly perfect square white patch over my left ear. Its still wierd looking, but not bad enough to shave off quite yet. It is speeding up and now my eyelashes and brows are beginning to fall out. We'll have to see. Im not quite brave enough either.
Charity,

I had long, thick dark hair all my life so even when I had so little hair I started wearing wigs I still could not shave my head. I thought it was the end of the world and my (ex) hairdresser kept telling me I needed to shave my head so the wig would fit better, etc. Finally, after fourteen years of thinking I could NEVER shave my head I did. Honestly, I have never looked back. It was liberating to some degree. If I couldn't have my long pretty hair then I would rather be bald than have those strands hanging and fuzzy spots. I won't deny....I did cry a little the very first time but now it just feels routine to shave it. I support you 100%!!! It's not easy but you can do it and in the end you probably wil feel liberated.
Hope you're doing well!
Hey Charity, I know exactly how you feel...when I first started losing my hair, I waited till the very last possible moment to completely shave my head because I just didn't want to give up on my hair yet. Afterwards, I kept wondering why it took me so long to do it! My wig fit my head way better without the extra hair and it was actually liberating to not have stringy patchy hair anymore. It also helps to get a better look at your head and monitor the spots. I know it's hard to get it over with, but I promise you'll get used to it and eventually be happy you did so! I hope this helps :) Be brave...you are beautiful!
i shaved my head a while back.. and my hair had gotten so bad befor that i wanted it to be gone .. i figured it would be easier to hav ppl know about it rather than cover it up and get embarassed one day .. so i finally shaved and i love it now it gets a little cold but i enjoy being bald ... ppl dont treat me differnt .. if they think im werid or differnt i hav learned to tell them to screw off ... being bald was one one of my best choices i ever made!
My hair is getting to that point to. I unfortunately bought a wig that hangs on to my hair with those little cips. I wish I hadn't. I want to shave my head so bad! Bald is sooo much better than straggly stingy hair to me =)
I made my husband shave my head last summer and honestly It was kind of relief. To have my hair in my hands or on my pillow was worst for me.
I feel exactly the same way you do. I don't have a lot of hair left at all but it has grown back in some places and I feel like if I shave it it will just ruin all the progress its made. And I don't have a wig so I guess I'm afraid of the looks I'd get being completely bald. Although I already get enough with all the spots. :/
My husband shaved my head in June -well, it actually a buzz cut - at a time when so much of my hair was falling out each time I showered, that it was so difficult for me to cope. I didn't shave it sooner b/c I was diagnosed with a condition that was supposed to be limited to a few bald spots. But, as it became apparent that I had alopecia, it was the best decision. I felt so liberated and actually beautiful.
My hair is now growing back - but it's white & I'm bald in patches - so I actually felt more attractive being bald than I do now.
I hope this helps.
Mary

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service