This weekend I had 2 really bad experiences. One was where I was in a restaurant sitting beside a table where a lady & her husband was sitting. The moment she saw me she started joking with her husband that I am wearing a wig & its funny. :(. I had to change the table coz I wasnt in mood to fight back but, I did give an angry look at her whenever she tried to stare at me.
Another was when I was standing outside & 2 women started speaking loudly with each other & laughing and saying "hey is she wearing a wig or what?? Go & ask her!!!" That idiot lady was actually coming towards me to ask this!!!!!!!!!!! Before she got the chance to come near me to ask or maybe stare more, I moved away from there. :(....I HATE SUCH RUDE PEOPLE!

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Priya, I can certainly understand that it's even harder for a bald woman to be accepted in other cultures. I have some Indian friends, and I know that the ideal of beautiful long hair is very strong there.

Wear your wig with pride, and look those idiots in the eye next time and say what you wrote. Let us know how it goes if you do.

Mary
Tks Mary,
Though I hope such moments dont come again. But, I know they will & I will face them the way I told u & will let u know.
Priya
Sorry to hear about what you went through. I agree with Mary. You have alot of restraint. It shows how much grace you have.
Those people obviously don't have anything better in than lives than to critise others. Or maybe they are so insecure that they need to put others down to make them feel good.
Hold you head high Priya, don't forget how special you are!
Susan
Tks for ur kind words Susan.
That's just awful. I really feel for you. My sister-in-law who see's me on a regular basis (know's my hair) and is also a hair stylist. She does not know I have alopecia and saw me the first day I ever wore a wig. She said to me, "are you wearing a wig?"... "you look like your wearing a wig", and I was really devistated because it took only 1 month for my hair to be a a compete loss. Me wearing a wig is me trying to buy time to work out my feelings. Last thing I want anyone to know is that I am wearing a wig. But later on, I figured out that it was my own issue I was more upset about. She asked a good questions and I wasn't ready to answer. But what happened to you was just down right insensative .... something children would do. I hate such rude people too
Tks for ur support.
Sorry to hear about ur incident with sis-in-law. I just dont understand why people need to know things when they cannot help those who r facing it. They should learn to control their curious minds.
I'm sorry to hear this, Priya, especially since most women who wear wigs are assumed to have cancer. Those people did not even consider WHY you were wearing a wig. It is they who have a problem and who should be ashamed. When people stare at me (regardless of the reason) I usually stare right back until they are uncomfortable and look away. It always works!
U r rite Stephanie.
I have started doing that now. Those who stare at me in a strange way, I stare back at them the same way. It does make them realize how it feels to be stared that way. I even stare angrily with them. So, they look away. Also, whenever they try to stare again I again stare in their eyes...lol....they have to look away again. Its like a game sometimes...lol
I'm so sorry you experience this rudeness. The closest I've had was some teenagers laughing and snickering about my headscarf and fact that I'm bald. I walked over to them and hissed, "Pardon me? I have an autoimmune conditon called alopecia and I've lost my hair. Have some sense and grace". Occasionally I"ve noticed people (99.9% time other women!) staring at my wig. I either ignore or stare back with a steadfast look at their eyes daring them to speak.

If I had such a situation occur - I'd do as I did with the teens - I would approach the rude women and assertively state I have alopecia, I've lost my hair - have some compassion please.

I'd also waste not much more time on these people or their actions. Honestly - how ignorant? Do they have no idea that women go through chemotherapy cancer treatments and routinely lose their hair? I really can't understand people who have nothing better to do than publicly mock someone with some sort of appearance issue. I wouldn't give them much thought - they sound rather ignorant and not worthy of your time.

Sorry you encountered this stupidity.
You're absolutely right, Reginia. Bullies and other stupid people fold when confronted. When I man wouldn't stop staring at me once, I kept staring back and finally said "Yes, I'm bald!" He kept staring, so I repeated exactly the same thing. Finally, he stopped staring and came over and mumbled apologies about being surprised by my "choice" of hairstyle! I set him straight that it's not a fashion choice.
When I fly, I always go through the TSA checkpoint bald. I went through once wearing a headscarf because it was chilly, and every item of my luggage was hand-checked. (No comment.) My experience has been that going through bald, people make the cancer assumption, and are extra nice. Fine with me.
Very interesting point, Reginia. Thanks for sharing - food for thought, for sure.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service