I have been wearing wigs for 14 years! Wow.

My first few wigs were pricey. I've worn $300 wigs and $20 wigs. Human and synthetic. Every color under the sun! (Okay, not orange or yellow. Maybe some day) I have settled somewhat comfortably for the last 10 years on $30 wigs. I'm partial to the Sis brand at the moment. More than anything because of color and style options. They die so fast! A month is pushing it. I go around bald occasionally but have mostly stopped. I love wigs- but again, they are just so temporary.

Does anyone else deal with this frustration? The knots that form on your back and the eventual crunchy ends that turn into Velcro dreadlocks. Ugh. I've tried fabric softener, detanglers, wig shampoos, combing vs brushing- nothing seems to make a dramatic difference. I've scoured forums and found tips on cosplay sites, but then those wigs are for occasional use and don't have to go through the wear and tear of everyday use.

I've looked at the more expensive wigs but where are the fun color options or styles? Maybe I want to have a natural looking pink wig? Frustration. My next attempt is making my own. I have access to the supplies at my local wig shop, so I'm going to give it a go. Not sure if it will be for me. I do keep my old ones, mainly because I do have a use for them so they aren't going to waste.

I know wigs aren't meant to be forever, but has anyone else found something that really works for keeping them looking nice? Does anyone else deal with these cheaper wigs and let out that sigh while brushing when you realize another one has bit the dust?

Views: 2941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right on!

And now girls are fund raising for freedom wigs? Wow! And now trying to understand why the GOVERNMENT doesn't understand the "need" around this.

Rose, I can understand that for 5000+ dollars you can:

Feed the homeless

Help fix someone's leaky roof

Pay for someone's utility bills especially in the winter months

Buy clothing for impoverished children

Buy books to educate children

I don't know about anyone else on the forum? But when i see homeless folks I ask them FIRST if they need food. If they say yes? Off I go to a Subway Sandwich shop or anything nearby, and l Ioad them up with something to tide them over.

I'm don't think I could really live with myself if I saw someone on the street. Down and out, and my main concern would only be how cute I look with 5000+ dollars worth of someone else's hair on my head.

Sure females do it all the time? But I'm a woman.

That means there's actually a conscience beneath my scalp.

Judgmental much, Femme? How dare you tell other people how to spend their hard-earned money, and imply your superiority because your value system differs from that of others! I'm not going to sacrifice my happiness so that I can fix someone else's leaky roof. Charity begins at home!

chill dominique,

i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to Rose Marie/Rose the rep who stated that the government should be involved in subsidizing for freedom wigs for increase people's confidence - versus feeding the homeless.  I would rather wear a cheap wig and help others.  5,000? that's a lot of groceries. And no, i'm not judgmental. just showing the rep we have options.

I try to send my replies  right below Rose/Rose Marie's/the rep. Not yours.

Unfortunately, this website doesn't allow us to "quote" - thus, we have miscommunication. None of my posts were directed at you at all.

none.

:)

I love ebonyline or eBay when my wig shop runs low on my favorite ones. I guess I was trying to figure out if I care for my wigs wrong- if I had been mistreating them all these years and that's why they don't last very long.

I would certainly have to win the lottery to shell out $5000 for a chunk of hair. Jeepers!

I will stick with cosplay quality wigs because the options are endless, but I have noticed that I just need to be really choosy with when I wear them. Is this afternoon in the park on a really windy day worth putting on a brand new wig? Certainly not! I'm no stranger to accidentally destroying a wig in one evening. Eek!

No, I don't think you're doing anything wrong, Lexie.  It's just my opinion but I've come to the conclusion that synthetic wigs just don't ... just don't ... last more than a few months.   I've bought gorgeous long lace front wigs that within a few short weeks look like a rat's nest.  I try to stick with the shorter styles because I get more wear from them.   Have you joined wigsupport.com - there is a good group of people who wear wigs for various reasons and they might have more insight into wig care. I tend to not do much with mine at all other than wash, wear, and then toss but some people have some very creative strategies to increase wear-time.  

I found a shop on the internet from this site. it's called Name brand Wigs and they sell (mostly synthetics) for way cheaper than most wig stores. But no matter what kind of synthetic I buy, they don't last and I can't take them off. sorry, bald is not beautiful. I am over 60 and disabled and don't have much money for basic living and not for buying and maintain custom pieces.   There phone number is 1 866 659 794470.  I ordered 2 Angelica Noriko's.   They charge $82 for them and other online wig shops sell them for over $125 on sale. I found the name on this site some where. Also goes by name of Joshua 24?     Don't know when some one posted the name. I haven't received them yet, but all their prices are cheaper than any other internet wig site, Hope they are OK? but I am desperate. I am disabled and living on social security and can no longer afford living expenses, let alone thousands for custom systems.  Alopecia has ruined my life. I live near Phoenix and yes there are wig shops but you pay a fortune in a shop. around here, they won't even cut a wig that they don't sell to you. I think the internet, has put shops out of business.   I do not have the money to purchase custom hair or system. It seems like it would be a life time of huge costs and the little bit of money I have, I need for food and rent. THIS CONDITION SUCKS. laurenseav.    Would appreciate any help. I wash and condition the but synthetic hair looks like shit after a very short time. I have tried a few other brands, but I don't think it makes much difference. I do not look good in short hair. Since  am miserable, feel I might as well go for the long hair. No lace fronts or ones with parts. You pay a lot more and I haven't found anything that lasts longer???   if any one knows about Name Brand Wigs, let me know. When I ran across this internet shop and saw their prices, I was surprised.  Goes by name of Joshua 24 also.  Some one, some time, posted this on this site.  I am so tired of reading postings. I wish I had the money for a custom piece, but if I deplete my meager savings to buy custom pieces, I will be on the street.  Please BALD is not beautiful and neither is avoiding basic things like swimming. sex etc. I am over 60 and disabled, so can't see the reason to get involved in custom pieces.   Does any one know how to prolong long synthetics??  Laurenseav

sorry for the typo Phone number is 1 866 597 9447 Found it on this site Name brand Wigs or Joshua 24. Costs seem to be much lower all the time, with out sales.  they say they get tem from the manufacturer??. So I have no idea how their prices can be cheaper. Any suggestions on prolonging the life would be appreciated. I wash and use conditioner, but nothing lasts long.  Also, I have a small head and they don't come in petite. I use strong tape, but they don't last or tend to slip back on my head when I tighten them or adjust them.  Support is great, but how do you live. I have spent decades being ashamed and will never go bald. No one who has hair can possibly understand what we go thru........

Lauren I hear ya.. synthetic wigs are expensive. I live outside of United States and find myself paying at least an extra 100.00 on top of quoted price dueto shipping,  customs and dollar exchange. Longevity of wigs is important.   My own experience is that long styles gave drastically shorter life span than a short wig.  Any style that grazes my collar or my shoulders will wear out in dramatically shorter time, imo.   I would 

Look at Gallery of Wigs website. The owner is very honest and kind. I have been buying wigs from her for 15 years.  Her prices are low.

Also, if you don't already, consider wearing scarves at home because that increases longevity as well.

Do you buy name brand wigs?. I don't want to look obvious, so I stick to same style and color range. I mean do you buy a recognized brand, like Noriko or Amore?   I take mine off at home, but always worry that some one will drop by, I will fall or....?    I google name brand wigs. Found it on this  site. I know shorter lasts longer, but none of them seem to last long. Also, you need to cut and style most of them. I used to wear short, but started to get so many compliments on the long ones. I have made friends with Chris for hair. She is in the business, herself and seems honest. I am over 60, broke and cannot afford regular custom hair, pieces or any special program. I am broke, so spending $850 for something that might last a year (with constant maintenance) doesn't seem practical. I could buy one, but with my meager budget, I could purchase a car for several custom pieces. I have checked out so many web sites. The stores around the Phoenix area are few and far between. They cannot compete with internet prices.  My goal, is to look nice and not be obvious with different colors and different lengths. I have bought most from Wilshire Wigs in LA and they do go on sale, but still are way over $100. depends on the length, and all the other stuff. But lace front and "Medical parts" greatly increase the price... I have several and rotate as much as possible. Most of the time, I get compliments. but lets face it, nothing compares to real hair. Unless you buy short, you need to have them styled. How do you keep them on (mine slip back, even with tape)

I've not ordered wigs from Joshua 24 ... not sure sure if they deliver to Canada.   Yes, I often wear Noriko wigs.  I understand the price issue. As I said - take the American price of a $100 synthetic and then add international shipping ($30-50) plus customs fees ($15-40) plus the dollar exchange rate ... now a $100 wig suddenly $245.     The price of any wig is motivation for me to find beautiful scarves and wear them in the summer heat - adds to longevity of the wigs since I'm not wearing them as often.

I can't speak about being obvious in terms of colours and lengths - I do switch styles around quite obviously.    Honestly, most people have their own lives and worries and are not too concerned about our wigs or our hair.   If they ARE concerned, then they are not worth worrying about.

Been there too and just tired of the wigs, I thought expensive was the solution, but they all end up looking unnatural. So, for now I've been wearing head scarves, I bought silk and cotton ones only because I like silk, and with the cotton blend it doesn't slip off my head, and they feel like cotton, I also have some all cotton ones too. I can tie them at the back or front and this works for me. Now that it's summer, this is very freeing, I keep a wig on hand if I need, just not going to wear them everyday, as my scalp needs to breathe too.

I buy my wigs from a website from a company called HairSisters.com.  They basically sell many of the wigs from Ebonyline for a much cheaper price.  

Another wig line that i'm contemplating is Platinum wigs.com

sell customer lace fronts but many of them are over $100.00.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service