I have been wearing wigs for 14 years! Wow.

My first few wigs were pricey. I've worn $300 wigs and $20 wigs. Human and synthetic. Every color under the sun! (Okay, not orange or yellow. Maybe some day) I have settled somewhat comfortably for the last 10 years on $30 wigs. I'm partial to the Sis brand at the moment. More than anything because of color and style options. They die so fast! A month is pushing it. I go around bald occasionally but have mostly stopped. I love wigs- but again, they are just so temporary.

Does anyone else deal with this frustration? The knots that form on your back and the eventual crunchy ends that turn into Velcro dreadlocks. Ugh. I've tried fabric softener, detanglers, wig shampoos, combing vs brushing- nothing seems to make a dramatic difference. I've scoured forums and found tips on cosplay sites, but then those wigs are for occasional use and don't have to go through the wear and tear of everyday use.

I've looked at the more expensive wigs but where are the fun color options or styles? Maybe I want to have a natural looking pink wig? Frustration. My next attempt is making my own. I have access to the supplies at my local wig shop, so I'm going to give it a go. Not sure if it will be for me. I do keep my old ones, mainly because I do have a use for them so they aren't going to waste.

I know wigs aren't meant to be forever, but has anyone else found something that really works for keeping them looking nice? Does anyone else deal with these cheaper wigs and let out that sigh while brushing when you realize another one has bit the dust?

Views: 2941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of this bickering is sad. I hate to say it but most people cannot afford $5000 to buy a wig. It is great if you can go right ahead. But Those of you who cannot don't feel pressured that thats what you have to have. There are all kinds of hair solutions and many are relatively low cost. I have gone to mylocal wig stores and I just bought a wig from Samsbeauty.com  they are very low cost  and the one I bought was $19 and when I got it I was supprised it is very nice. I did have to trim it up around my face but other then that it is fine. But remember it is a wig not a real head of hair and you cannot treat it like it is. You have to be gentle with it and take your time when combing out tangles. Don't just take off wig and throw it anywhere put it on a wig head. Don't put alot of product on it etc. So just buy what wig works best for you and don't let anyone pressure into something you really cannot afford.

Wigs are very expensive.  Even if you buy the cheaper wigs the expense adds up.  Just wanted to share that the IRS has Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses 2014 Page 15 under the title "Wig".  It states that you can include in medical expenses the cost of a wig purchased upon the advice of a physician for the mental health of a patient who has lost all of his or her hair from disease".  I believe the total of Medical, Dental, Wigs, Transporatiton, etc has to add up to at least $2500.00.  It is a good publication to have.

I also wanted to share that if you know someone who has a business license in beauty, cosmetology, etc and you build some type of trusting friendship or bond, you can possibly work out something where you can purchase wigs from a wig manufacturer in bulk at a cheaper price.  So, let's say you pay $300.00 for one Rene of Paris Wig, through a licensed  beautician, cosmetologist you can pay for that same wig $55.00(just an example) each for 12 or more wigs.  I was fortunate to form a trusting friendship with a Cosmotologist, Karmen, who permanently tattooed my vanishing eyebrows back on.  I was the first person she met with Alopecia.  I told her how expensive the wigs were and overtime she extended the offer for me to purchase my wigs through her business. I pay her upfront, of course.  I was able to order in bulk to last me for at least 2 years.  It's been a while since I ordered. 

One trick I did learn years ago from a prominent wig store in Manhattan is that they use a steamer to bring the texture of the wig back.  However the nice clerk would not give all the secrets away.  Not sure what solution they used.  I use shampoo let it dry and then run a steamer through my wig.  Will last a little longer depending on the quality.

Jon Reneau makes a beautiful lace front wig called "Zara". Looks very natural. Vents pretty well so far.  It is roughly $200.00+. 

When my wig is becoming to matte and worn I extend its use by going to a Chinese variety store and purchasing  semi thick hairnets in different colors for $1.00 each.  I get so many compliments on my hair(to the public) my wig(to me) that I am bringing back the snood.  I can where my wig for another month.  We have to be creative.  Now if someone pulls the hairnet off, that is a whole other story. LOL!

Go to www.wigs-us.com. They have pages and pages of a variety of wigs and prices! I have a "wig wardrobe" of everything from $39 wigs (Janelle by Wig America, which looks FABULOUS) to $3K European hair pieces that I had custom made...and everything in between. Wigs-us has good prices and quite a variety, including colored fun wigs.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service