I'm taking the big step of investing in a new high quality wig and want to hear input regarding anyone that has purchased 'The Gripper' from Peggy Knight. This is a very big purchase for me and I would appreciate any advise from those who have taken this expensive step before as well. Please let me know your pros and cons and if you think a different wig would be better and why, if possible. I have a very hot head and am afraid to try the hard shell wigs. Please share your experience and thought with me. I have had alopecia universalis for three years now and can finally purchase a quality wig. Thank you for any assistance you can supply. Judy

Views: 7915

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Judy

There are not a lot of Freedom Wig wearers on sites like Alopecia World because they really are getting on with other things. There are some though that want to make a difference to those here (not just about wigs, but other coping strategies).

Anna Fitzpatrick does not sell Freedom Wigs - she is on this site and on other sites internationally. She does wear Freedom Wigs though. There are ladies here that wear Freedom and don't sell them. The other thing you could do is contact one of the IA's and ask if they can put you on to one of their clients (just a wearer) for her honest feedback.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Rosy

Rosy, How do I contact Anna Fitzpatrick in order to ask her her opinion? I'm afraid my computer savvy is rather limited. Thank you, Judy

Hi Judy

if you go to members and type in 'fitzy' her page should come up. I noticed that she isn't on here regularly so you could also try her on facebook. (Just friend her).

I know she has been busy with her job in New Zealand, but hopefully she will get back to you. You could also search through her info on her page as I'm sure she would have answered questions about Freedom before.

She's been wearing freedom since she was 9 years old - she's now 24. Freedom had no idea she would be a model when she was little, but I believe her career has been inspirational for many in NZ who deal with alopecia and also people around the world.

She's a lovely young woman. :)

Rosy

I think you people at freedom wigs posted those coments about Peggy Knight selling Follea in order to sell more freedom wigs .personally I had a lot of problems with that manufacturer.

Hi Linda James

I'm a little confused by your post, but I think you may be misunderstanding what has been written here.

I am affiliated with Freedom Wigs, but this thread to begin with was about 'Follea - Gripper wigs'. I did not want to discuss this choice with Judy as I don't have any knowledge about this type of wig. So, I passed on my advise about working out her own needs etc.

When Judy asked about Freedom Wigs, I answered with my personal truth...it's not everyone's but it is mine. Judy is trying to get some honest feedback with regards to what sort of hairpiece will work for her.

The other contributors to this post have their own opinions as follows:

Lori - has worn a Gripper and passed on her personal experience
Angelica - has passed on her experience with regards to her appointment with Peggy and what she was shown.
Spenser - I don't know if this comment is true or false. If you want to verify it you might like to contact Spenser yourself.
Rose- wears Freedom wigs, but has also given feedback about other types of wigs that have worked for her.

I hope this helps clarify this thread.

If you would like to make a complaint about anything on this thread please pass it on to Cheryl and RJ.

Rosy

I also want to clarify my opinion of the Gripper wigs. They are very beautiful wigs but I personally feel that they may be somewhat overpriced for what they are. I have not made any major decisions yet. I plan on going to an office where there are more samples of the Gripper wig to see personally. My opinion was only made on a very small sampling and I have not counted them out as of this date. I have the feeling this is going to be a very long journey and I've only just put my big toe in the water. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments. Judy

Hi Judy

I don't believe offence has been taken. That would be pretty horrible if it had. You need to ask and investigate and I personally have felt you have passed on the knowledge you have about your experience at this time. You may change your mind many times through this process, but my wish for you is to find something that works well and you are happy with. Something that helps you become comfortable.

Good luck with everything.

Rosy

Hi. This is Michael from Follea. There are many good wigs out there at many different price-points. I only wanted to write about one thing: I don't think anyone should have to spend 2, or 3, or more thousands of dollars without trying on their wigs first. If you can't find a local Follea dealer, we have a limited demo pool of "Gripper Wigs" available for trying-on. They are sanitized before sending out. We ask you for a credit card and place a hold on it until the piece is returned. You can wear it for 48 hours before sending it back, If you know your head measurements, that helps. USA only at the moment - sorry. You can write to me for more details. Just came back from NAAF in DC. It was really nice to see so many familiar faces and everybody seemed to have a lot of fun. Good luck out there. Best. Michael.

PS: In preparation for Alopecia Awareness Month in September, we gave away at NAAF a few hundred of these (see image). If anyone would like one, just send me a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

Attachments:

Hi Michael

I noticed this comment and thought it rather odd. If you are making a fully customised hairpiece - you can't try it on before you buy it. It sort of like telling a Saville Row suit maker that you want to try on the suit before you give your measurements...you can see what other people's results have been with customisation, but for the new client there has to be trust and a very good level of communication. It's not about sales and numbers its about getting it right for that person. Fully personalised.

If you are getting an off the shelf machine made wig...well I agree with you, if you are spending thousands on this type of wig, you should be able to try it on etc. I know that Follea mostly help people with stock wigs in varying sizing. I think most stock wigs makers and vendors would let people try their products on.

Just to reiterate full customisation is incredibly important for those that wear Freedom Wigs. The technology used to create a Freedom Wig is extensive...most of the Independent Agents in the USA use proprietary Laser medical scanners to achieve an extremely accurate fit. The hair choices available are extensive with customisation available for most colour choices , as the hair is totally unprocessed even in lighter shades. Density, partings, crowns ....nothing is stock, it is all customised with the customer being empowered through the process. You can't really compare customisation to stock wigs.

When you are comparing apples and pears...you definately get bananas :). There is no comparison between what custom is and means to a client.

Catch you at the next Naaf.

Rosy

Hi Rosy. Freedom make a good but different kind of product. Follea appeals to Women who want a very natural, lightweight wig, that can usually be delivered within days of order. They can be styled and restyled including updo's, ponytail, swept side bang, etc. They may be selected in long lengths, multiple color blends, custom highlights and lowlights, etc. Anything you want to know, including our recommended retail prices, is available by visiting Follea.com. And any women who has never tried on a Follea Gripper or other Follea product can do so, in her size, before she commits to buying one. I will be pleased to meet you at NAAF in St Louis. Best. M.
Yep, the difference between a stock net based wig and a custom made wig is quite phenomenal and some will want that stock wig in certain circumstances:).

Reading your reply I don't think you fully understand a freedom wig, they have an incredibly light weight cap that has technological features to enhance that comfort for the wearer. As you may realise those that wear freedom would normally have extensive long term hairloss...Freedom is not a fashion accessory it is a fully customised medical wig, even though it should be understood that it can be incredibly fashionable. The hair used is totally unprocessed virgin hair, this is very different product to anything made with processed hair. It is available in short through to longer lengths,in hair colours matching those of the worlds population. You can style your freedom hair as you would your growing biological hair even colour it if you prefer, no wefts, so parting and styling is very easy, realism and individuality is what a freedom wig is about as well as full security, longevity, ease of care... It's about Helping people get on with live while dealing with alopecia.

Watching my daughter through the years makes me a bit of a zealot, but I'm also very supportive of whatever helps the individual, my personal truth is my daughters freedom wig has made an enormous difference to her life. It helps and I'm sure that's all both you and I Michael, would like to do. Information is the key to help people.

Costs are available from Freedom Independent Agents worldwide in the appropriate currency. Feel free to contact them as most have alopecia and wear freedom.
www.freedomwigs.com then go to the 'contact us' page, everybody is listed there.

Rosy

Hi Rosy. This forum is not about wig vendors. This is about all the Alopecians out there, I would like to make everyone aware of a Petition to sign and one of the more informative pieces of medical research I have seen for a long time:

(JAMA - Journal of the American Medical Association) JAMA Dermatology. "Study Evaluates Prevalence Of Multiple Health Concerns Among Patients With Alopecia Areata" Please Google it.

The American Medical Association could be doing more to help raise funds for Alopecia Areata research for the cure, as well as support legislation on medical insurance companies. And they need to hear from you. Whatever hair option you choose, and from whatever company, I believe that it should be covered under medical insurance. In some countries, like New Zealand, it is. But, not in the US, except in rare circumstances, even if you fight hard for it. It is time to put more pressure on the US medical research community and medical Insurance Companies to recognize that Alopecia Areata is a real and serious condition that can be part of a pattern of auto-immune disorders. PLEASE SIGN THIS PETITION addressed to the American Medical Association: MORE ALOPECIA AREATA RESEARCH FOR THE CURE http://chn.ge/160FuSl

And the article I referred to can be read at:

www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/260955.php

JAMA Dermatology. (2013, May 24). "Study Evaluates Prevalence Of Multiple
Health Concerns Among Patients With The Alopecia Areata." Medical News
Today. Retrieved from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/260955.php.

All the best. Michael.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service