Hey people, just Your thoughts please

On many websites and blogs health professionals say that alopecia lasts for around a year in most people and 80% fully regrow their hair back, surely this can't be true?

Majority of People who have had the steroid injections in their head tend to have good re growth but once the injections stop hair loss returns and the hair falls out quicker than ever before. On this basis is it better to not have the steroid shots? What is the longest period before relapse has happened after experiencing re growth from the injections?

Is there anyone on this site who has ever fully recovered from alopecia?

Views: 1661

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, hope u are well, sorry have been away so late reply, you made me laugh "walking water bed" I haven't heard that one before :)), as far as people not noticing you before maybe it was for the better in my opinion because if they just looking at what's beneath your face and not you as a person then you are better off not knowing these people. Transforming yourself through the amount of hard work you must have put in the gym which I know is tremoundously difficult just shows how much of a fighter you are. I guess that's the attitude u need to get through aa. I have hit the gym hard too and bulked up which has helped as people stare but not because of my aa but because of the way I look. It makes life slightly easier but I've got to confess I've been feeling really down lately as my aa is getting worse. I have a derm app this week so may have the shots to see if they work, I wish u all the best and keep fighting. Ps well done with changing your life around, i know how many buckets full of sweat that takes :)))
My sister had aa two times, both time fully recovered on her own. I now have it for a little over a year, treatments of rogaine, injections, antiinflamatory liquid and squaric acid. It appeared as if I was going to recover a few months ago, but it has returned with a vengeance, I see derm on Tuesday and will probably stop treatment, and let nature take its course which ever way that might be. I started with one spot, it grew, then filled in, then another spot appeared in the last 2-3 weeks I probably got 4 new spots plus the other 2 that was not reacting real good, i think if I stop treatment I will be bald with in the next 3-6 weeks.
I'm sorry to hear that treatment is not working out for u, I pray that you recover from this illness quickly, I'm going to see the derm Friday fingers crossed, mornings are stressful after looking at the amount of hair on my pillow, family keep telling me it's gna be ok which I guess is the only thing they can do but the truth is that I'm really stressed and no matter how hard they try to console me I have a bad feeling my alopecia is not going anywhere fast, I've hit the gym and bulked up to make me feel better but can't say it's working. The rest I can cope with but have a huge patch on he left side of my head, I can't cover it anymore so have resorted to wearing a cap, just hope the shots will work for me, thanks for your time to respond I really appreciate it, take care
My first patch started last September within 6weeks all hair on head fell out some face hair some eyebrows and lashes and some body hair over the next couple of months then Jan / Feb white fine hair started to come back then in April my black hair started to grow back slowly a lot has come back and seems to be filling up but a good few places on my head don't have any black hair growth yet so I still have to keep shaving it really hope the patches fill in

I don't know about "most people", all I can comment on is me. I had steroid injections the first 2 times I lost my hair; it took about 3 months to grow back and fell out 5-6 months later. The 3rd time the injections did not work; I was going to give up but my dermatologist suggested Plaquenil, which I have been on for a little over 2 months. My eyelashes are growing back and I have a little eyebrow hair. There are some "sprouts" on my scalp and I'm starting to see the white, fluffy, hair that grows in before my "normal" hair grows back. If my hair does grow back, I fully expect it to fall out once again.

I think this is something you have to wait out and see what happens. Nobody can tell you if your hair will grow back. If the hair loss is caused by stress, perhaps it will; if it caused by the immune system going whack-o, it might be a life-long issue. My guess is the people who are "cured" of their hair loss probably lost it due to stress, pregnancy, etc., (the 80%) something other than their immune system attacking their hair (the 20%).

Coping is something some do better than others. I accepted this early on, so I'll do what I can, but if my hair doesn't grow back (again), I'll simply go on with my life as a bald lady. I actually feel lucky I live 58 years of my life with hair, that alopecia doesn't hurt and it won't kill me. Don't think I could ask for more than that.

Your outlook on life is amazing, I hope I get to see 58, I am a very stressful person I can't help it, I wish u all the best and again thanks for taking time out to reply, time is precious

Hello,

I've had alopecia for over 30 years and in my case, the worst of my alopecia was over in 1 year.  I lost more than half my head between 16 and 17, and then it started growing back.  It was like an illness though, that I wasn't completely recovered from.  Because during the following year, I experienced a few really bad patches (but not like the 1st episode).  I may have had one or two really large spots, but they were coverable.  It weakened further, into my twenties I would get one really bad spot once in a while.  Not always noticable.  Into my 30s, even less, but I still got them.  Into my 40s now, less and less with an occasional spot (just to keep me on my toes!).  In some ways today, I feel very lucky to only have small spots, but they are still here -- and sometimes in the front of my head too! 

I would say that the 1st year was the worst and could be referred to as an episode in my case.  Everyone is different though -- and I know that if AA starts progressing to AT or AU, the experience can be much different. 

By the way, though, regarding the injections:  I used to regularly see the derm (from teenager till mid thirties) and get the cortisone injections.  I rarely go these days when I get a spot because they do grow back without the shots too.  I also didn't like getting indents from the shots.  If the spot is in front maybe I'll go, but actually have only seen the dermatologist once in the last 7 years.  I just cover my spots with dermmatch and wait for them to go away now.

Hi, really appreciate your response, I have a appointment with the derm this week so am going to try the shots to see if they work. I know I shouldn't get depressed but I have around 8 spots on my head back and front and only my moustache left. I don't think this will last too because I have a small spot in the centre of my moustache which is getting bigger and not to mention a quarter of my right eyebrow. I do have white re growth on my beard but it's been soft for around 2 months and hasn't changed colour. My aa started around April 2014. My hair has really thinned too so I am currently wearing a cap to cover my head. Wow u have had aa for a long time but I really hope it goes away for u. I have not tried derm match and am not sure how it works but will look into this. I'm currently going through an emotional time because of my aa which I know won't help and hope it goes away though I'm losing patience as well as hair :)
Hi Maria. I really appreciate u taking time out to response, my appointment is on Friday I think probably gna have bloods done and then have to go back for some shots, I am a very sensitive person so getting stressed I can't help, how has your aa progressed and how are u feeling, it must be hard being a women and losing your hair but believe me being bald is just as frightening for me, I have been feeling really down lately. I started off not sure how I felt, then I thought I had accepted my hair loss and could move on with life but the more hair I lose the more it dawns on the possibility of having no hair, I can't stop worrying it's just the way I am, I hope u have a speedy recovery, I have been on this plane journey for around 18 months and the turbulence is getting worse :) I really hope u can land your plane earlier :)

It is true that most people with AA grow their hair back fully in about one year.

To be more specific.

Most people with Alopecia have Alopecia Areata ( 80%).

I have  had AA four times over a 25 year period. Each episode lasted about a year. My hair grew fully back and I went up to 7 years before the next episode.

The most pertinent thing to acknowledge is that .....only natural remission grows your hair back.

I remember vividly being delighted when my hair grew back The stubborn AA stopped falling out. Then the spots remained the same ....for ages, and then the spots became smaller and smaller......

You don't need to take anything for AA! There are no cures, injections or treatments.

Just wait. It's hard but that is the only way.

Regards

Hi Dom, firstly I appreciate your response immensely, I have been looking forward to my appointment with the derm but got a letter saying the appointment has been rescheduled for another 4 weeks, I was literally counting down the days expecting some kind of miracle to take place but deep down I think I know this is not going to happen. I have lots of white hair regrowth on my beard which gives me hope even though it hasn't changed colour or thickened but when I run my wet hands though my hair to try and get some sort of style the amount of hairs on my hand puts my feet firmly back on the ground. One thing I am learning is that nothing happens quickly with MY aa in regards to recovery and I hope I am able to recover like yourseof. I have aa since around April 2014 which started in my beard.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service