Hi Everyone! I'm hoping all you experienced wig-wearers out there can help out a Newbie ;)

I have been considering a wig for a long time now and have just finally embarked on my active search. I visited a very small, limited boutique a few days ago. I tried on one wig and was enthralled with "having hair". I loved it! The boutique only had about 3 styles to try and they only sell synthetic hair wigs. The lady I spoke to was not a "fan" of human hair wigs - she claimed that they are higher maintenance and that they even lose hairs. She claimed that those hairs need to be replaced at a cost, and that is why she didn't offer them to her customers. I went ahead and ordered a synthetic wig, given the cost was reasonable (and she would charge nothing if I changed my mind) for a "test run" to see if wearing a wig was going to be something I would really enjoy. I mean, I have been SO looking forward to a wig, but worried about maintenance, whether it would look natural and whether it stayed on in wind or during physical activity.
Anyway... I also have a consultation with a more "upscale" wig salon that does sell both synthetic and human hair wigs. I look forward to comparing.

I am hoping though that those of you out there who have much experience with wigs can help to educate a very overwhelmed soul.

I have heard the term "vacuum wig", but have not seen these on the website of the salon I'm going to. I have also seen advertisements for wigs that can be worn while swimming and sleeping. Sounds fabulous! But are they hard to maintain? do they last long?
What's the difference between lace wigs, hand tied, vacuum..??!?
I am just so overwhelmed.
Is there a trusted website I could go to to read up on all the kinds of wigs, their pros and cons...?
Please... if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Dazed and Confused... ;)

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tawny-

I think you'll find the women in the forums at wigsupport.com to be very helpful. Collectively there is a lot of experience there and the regulars are eager to share. You can find women who are very informed about particular kinds of wigs. Just join the forums and ask whatever you want....you'll be sure to get responses.

Thea
baldgirlsdolunch.org
I will definitely check this out.. thank you Thea!!
Hi Tawny

I agree with Thea.

Just remember that all people love the hairpieces they wear (otherwise they wouldn't wear) them. So, do your best to work out what you want from a hairpiece and what your particular needs are. Take your time and investigate well and I'm sure you will find something that will suit your needs.

Rosy
Rose Marie-

I recall a very cogent, in depth analysis by someone on one of the other sites on pros/cons of wig materials and constructions. It was written to educate. Does that ring a bell? Do you recall seeing it? Was about 9-12 months ago.

Thea
Thank you, Thea, I'm new to the site... does anyone happen to know where to find this analysis?
You can check out my page for pics of different types of wigs. Lace wigs are made with a lace base, and usually use tape or glue. Vacuum doesn't use anything. It suctions to your head. You can do anything in a vacuum wig except sleep. If you want to know specifics, you can message me.
Thanks Lee! Your wigs look great on you!
So, if a vacuum wig suctions to your head, would I be correct to assume that a vacuum wig would fit best on a bald head? or can you have a bit of hair and wear a vacuum wig? I am very intrigued by how secure a vacuum wig sounds and how it can be worn swimming etc... sounds great for an active girl like me (or like I want to be, LOL).
Also... if wearing a lace wig, how do you use tape or glue if there is some hair? Or do wigs generally fit and stay more secure if there is no hair?
I am going tomorrow to a salon in Toronto for a consultation and to see/feel/try some human hair wigs. I don't think they have vacuum wigs at this salon, only synthetic and human hair advertised, but they have a variety of kinds. I'm very excited!!
What is the greatest pros and cons for synthetic vs. human hair wigs? Which are more natural, which are easily maintained? Which are easiest to style? Do they differ in how heavy or warm they are?
So many questions... :) I SO appreciate any experiences and advice you can share... :)
Hi Tawny,
I've only been wearing wigs for the last 5 weeks. I have 3 now, all synthetic, and I LOVE them. They've been out in the wind and rain, without tape and haven't budged. I even fooled a hairdresser who thought they were real.
Everyone has different viewpoints and I don't think any single one is 'right'. You maybe just need to try a few and see what you're comfortable with. For me, the beauty of a quick brush and a shake every morning is ideal.
Having had 20 years of no hair and not wearing anything supplemental at all this has been lifechanging for me.....in such a positive way.
I hope you find the right solution for you.....;-)
Thanks Jacqui... I too like the idea of a quick brush and a shake... sounds nice and easy! Thanks for sharing your positive experiences. :)
no problem. You need to be completly bald for a vacuum wig. It suctions to your head, so hair would make it impossible for it to suction. You can tape and glue a lace one with hair, you just have to be careful not to gwet it in you hair ( which is kinda why the glue and tapes can be a pain). But if you are not totally bald yet, you might be better off in a lace one for now. Some of them will fir securely without glue or tape.
Thanks Lee, this is very helpful!
My daughter wears a synthetic wig which has hair clips and tape. Since she does not have much hair to clip, she needs to use the tape. She can swim in the wig and has gone on rollercoasters all day with it too. The bad part is the tape, it does hurt when you take it off and it is very strong, the wig does not move. It is great, everyone loves it. Good luck!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service