Hello!
I am anticipating shopping for a wig in the upcoming months and I am not sure where to start. Are there any good references for this out there . . . Wig Buying for Dummies? :) I have some basic questions already if anyone would be willing to help out . . .
What is the difference between a skin top and lace top wig? Is one better than the other?
Is it better to have human hair, synthetic hair, or a combination of both?
How long can I expect a wig to last?
How long can I wear a wig before taking it off - a day, a couple days, a week?
Are there any good brands or rally bad brands? I saw on one warehouse site some wigs for $1000 and some for $200 - they all looked the same to me (but who can tell from a picture?!?!). If I buy a wig for $200, am I more or less guarenteed to not look good/realistic?
I have androgenetic alopecia and am balding a lot on the side and top of my head - I am planning to shave before too long - I know about vaccum wigs, but those are way too spendy for now. Can I wear normal wigs without shaving it all off?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate your help!!!

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My daughter received her wigs from Locks of Love. Synthetic and real hair. If I had a choice between the both, I would choose real hair. You can do so much more with it and it just looks better.

http://www.merlenorman.com/

Merle Norman has some BEAUTIFUL wigs. Especially for an adult. Her head is just too small.

As for the synthetic wigs, as long as you take care of it and follow the enclosed washing, drying and styling instructions, you should enjoy if for some time. At 5 years old, her first wig lasted us over 2 years. The lace top is what she first got and it was so easy, she actually put it on herself. You just put it on like a beanie, really. Grab yourself a stocking and cut it to fit your head, that way your actual hair will be nice and flat inside the wig, put the wig on, brush it gently and you're ready to go. (Merle Norman has great customer service, they will even help you find somewhere to style it.)

As for the real hair prosthetic, one website said they run in the upwards of 4 grand. So unless you're really affluent or just want the best, I would make that a last resort. But you can heat style them, so that's a plus. Jordin, my daughter, swims in her vacuum prosthetic at pool parties. And noone ever knew it was a wig. So just take your time.

Or if you're feeling brave and funky, just grab yourself a costume wig! Always fun!
Hello, question, please....merle norman, wigs???? Clicked the link and can find no reference to wigs, just, of course, makeup and skin care. ???? Help me out here !!! Thanks so much. Curious to check out every option before making that $$$$ decision.
Hi, Amy:

I sent you a friend request, because I would like to email you privately. In the meantime, here is what I suggest:

Shae off all the hair...and wear a wig cap between your head and the wig.

I always have a minimum of three wigs of the same style and color, so they can stay in "rotation".

Human hair wigs are nice, if they're expensive, but you have to treat them exactly like you do your own hair.

Good synthetic wigs are better for the budget, and the beginner. Don't order any wigs online from anyplace where you cannot return them for a full refund in case you don't like them. It's always better, your first time out, to try the wigs on in person. Your hairstylist, or a good wig stylist can always "custom cut" the wig to make it better fit your features. I asked my "wigman" last week what was the advantage to buying a wig that was a mixture of synthetic and human hair, and he said, "none."

Whisperlite fiber (half the width of traditional synthetic wig fiber), is more natural looking. Kanekalon is the best synthetic wig fiber in natural appearance. My "wigman" says that he prefers 100% modacrylic fiber for synthetic wigs, and that Kanekalon comes in second.

You should take your wig off every night when you go to bed.

You can google "care of synthetic and human hair wigs", and get a lot more information that I am giving you here.

Hope some of this helps.

Good

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service