I've been dealing with Alopecia for 17 years.

I grew up in a small farm town in Kansas where everyone rejected the unusual. I know my story isn't any different than everyone on here, but I didn't understand that 14 years ago when the kids on the school bus tormented me. It just felt alone and depressed. There was NO ONE I could talk to who could actually tell me I would be OK. No one I could believe anyway, because no one understood how it felt to be me ... the bald girl.

My parents did the best they could to help me, which I know wasn't easy on them because they couldn't fix it. They couldn't take it away.

I would have really benefited from a site like this back then, and it's so refreshing to find a whole world full of people, now, who can really relate to me and understand what's it's like to reach the moment of clarity when you discover that you don't have to let AU define you.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stephanie,
Your story sounds very familiar. I have had Alopecia for about 36 years, with about 34 years of that been AU.
It certainly would have been great to have had groups like this for support and to help others back then. Just to know we weren't the only ones trying to cope and find answers. My Parents, very much like yours tried their best with help and any treatments they had been told about. I am so grateful to them for trying.
It certainly has helped to be able to share with others,
Thankyou everyone

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service