Fall is in the air which means winter is soon to follow. I've been visiting the local used book stores and stopping at neighborhood garage sales to stock up on reading material. Almost nothing takes the chill out of a cold winter's night better than sitting by the wood stove with a cup of cocoa (or coffee) and a good book.

I've picked up a few books on gardening, a few more on 'how to', and some classics including a well worn copy of Thoreau's 'Walden'. Looks like we might be in for a long, cold winter so I'll need at least a few more to tide me over. Read anything good lately???

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

I like to read Stephen King mostly, just finished Dreamcatcher, I liked it. Insomniac was my favourite though. I like to read a lot of non fiction as well. Mostly it's been about eastern religions/cults or religious symbolism and views but I like reading certain history books and how-to guides. Of course I've read many of the classics and own the entire works of W. Shakespeare and enjoyed Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I'm starting to think I read too much LOL :)
I haunt the library.
I am into the who done its like James Patterson, Patricia cornwell, etc. Lately, I have been stepping outside the box a bit, picking up a book and getting it, and reading it weahter I think Ill like it or not. I LOVE to read. I also got into the habit of a book exchange with friends who are out of State. We send books to each other...Kinda like Christmas!!!
Great suggestions, except from Frank...there's one in every crowd. Frank, thanks for the laugh this morning...glad to see you weathered the storm.
I'm currently reading Body fluids & electrolytes: A programmed presentation, 8th edition. Yay!
LOL!
Sounds like some of the stuff I'm reading.......Wish I had your enthusiasm!
Yeah I'm a big NERD
Eat, Love, Pray....Elizabeth Guilbert. Lots of spritual insight and humor.
I'm like Angela. As a self-confessed bibliophile (meaning I will read the labels on cat food just because it is something printed), I am not happy with reading just one thing -- I have to be reading 4 or 5 books at once. This is what I'm reading right now:

On the Pleasure of Hating by William Hazlitt
The 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi
The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene
1984 by George Orwell
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Utopia by St. Thomas More
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli

and lest anyone think that I have some ulterior motive for taking over the world (says she from her underground lair, LOL),

A Loving Scoundrel by Johanna Lindsey (yes, I have a weakness for smut!)

No, I'm not reading any of these books for school or anything; I read for the pure pleasure of it!! Growing up, because most people wouldn't be friends with me because of my AA, my books became my friends. Books aren't judgmental and there's always something out there to capture your interest!
Glad to learn that I'm not the only one who flits from book to book. Sadly, the books I picked up for the winter were too tempting and most sit in various states of completion around the house. I'm a voracious reader...yes, kastababy, I often read the labels on cereal boxes...and do the puzzles or games. Suppose I'll be making a few more trips to the local used bookstore over the next few weeks with the weather beginning to turn cooler, especially with some of the recommendations I've seen here.
Uh, I'm sorry, but I do NOT use Cliff Notes or Masterplots or anything like that! I'm just a mega-brainiac!!!
No explanation needed. I'm the same way...maybe we need to start a support group.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service