I thought I would post this topic. There always seems to be talk about what people are doing and if their child is having any results. Let this be a discussion to share treatment methods.

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

My daughter started a combintaion of betamethasone (sp?) and clobatosol (sp?) - two weeks on one, two weeks on the other. It seemed to work right away, whether it was timing I don't know. Not long after she lost almost all of her hair and we started using only the betamethsone and haven't had any luck. My mom had her hair cut today and the stylist told her that her sister had this and used Nioxin scalp treatment and that it seemed to work. Had anybody had any experience with either of the medications or a scalp treatment?
My son was only three when we first started treatments, he was given two topical creams, one was anthralin and the other I can't remember, he was also having 17-18 steroid shots one a month. These treatments worked and we did them for about three months but his scalp became dry, cracked and bloody so we stopped the creams along with the shots because the dermatologist said there was no way to numb his skin for injections. He lost most of his hair not long afterwards so we started shaving his head. When we noticed new hair growth we stopped shaving his head and his hair grew back except for the area above his ears and the area on the back of his head near the base of his skull(the bony area). We decided to find a new dermatologist that has experience with children and alopecia when he turned five. He has been going for shots once a month for about five months and has almost all of his hair back, its a little thin around his ears and the back of his head, the same places he has had trouble growing hair in the past. The dermatologist recently put him on topical steroids also as a maintenance med to be used twice a week. We bring him to Tufts Floating Hospital for children in Boston were he see's Dr. Loo. My son was given a prescription for a cream that numbs his scalp so that he doesn't feel the shots. We had to ask for it because it is not offered apparently. We are very happy with his progress but also realize that alopecia is unpredictable and at any time the treatments may stop working or have to be stopped for some reason. I pray every night that a cure or successful treatment will be found, until then my son is who he is and much loved with or without hair.
Toni, thanks for mentioning the numbing cream. I will ask for it if they want to do the steriod injections on my daughter.
Have you ever tried nitrogen scalp treatment? My daughter is going to star it, I hope the best
I don't know much about the treatments yet, but I wanted to say I really hope it works for your beautiful little girl! Keep us updated.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service