What did you do for your kids? Treatments? No treatments? Let them decide?

My daughter is only 2 and I can't see putting her through the pain of injections or anything if/when it comes to that. Know what I mean? So i'm wondering what you guys did and why or why not.

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Nicole. My name is Renee. My daughter Julie, age 5 now, was 4 when her dad, herself and 2 sisters donated her hair to locks of love. About 2 months later she had 2 bald patches on the sides of her head which the doctor said was pressure alopecia. I was OK. Julie was OK. THEN it all started coming out in patches. I noticed it most when she took a bath cause the drain was full of hair. TO make a long story short, we of course took her to a dermatologist, who did nothing for us but prescribe treatments that MAY work but were actually for psoriasis and ezcema. We tried 3 treatments he recommended. Then the last doctor appointment was at Geisinger in Danville Pennsylvania. It was a waste of trip and money. The doctor did not tell me anything I didnt know already. That was it. Julie didnt want to do anything else. So, I took a natural approach. I don't know if my natural remedies are working or if its a blessing and her hair decided it was time to grow back. But this is what I used, its best to go to a place where everything is natural. Not the stuff in your average store. I've been using tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner to wash her hair, after her bath or whatever while her pores were still open I would apply Lavender oil, Rosemary oil, Red Thyme oil and tea tree oil. So far she's had quite a bit of regrowth but still has a few patches that are taking a little longer. I hope this was a help. If you want me to give you specific brand names feel free to ask. Good luck . Renee
Hi Renee. My son is 9 and we have tried several ointments. Nothing has worked. He is at about 70% loss and it just began for the first time about 2 months ago. The loss is extremely rapid. I am really concerned about side-effects and stuff with the medications. My son also hates the ointments and we don't want to do the shots (the doctor said that with the amount of loss he has that the success rate isn't the great and the pain can be great). I have heard too many warnings from some who have already "been there, and done that". I would love to try what you have been doing. Any specifics in brand would be great! Thanks, Margie
I can't say what is right for anyone else and I certainly don't pass judgement either way but for us, I have chosen that the benefits outweigh the risks. If/ when she decides she wants treatments I will be supportive of her though. Aside from the pain and side effects of the treatments I just think that by putting her through that to treat a cosmetic condition I am sending the message to her that she is not acceptable the way she is. My sister on the other hand swears that if she was in my daughter's shoes she would hate me forever for not doing everything in my power to bring her hair back. SO I am afraid there is no right or wrong answer just personal values and choice.
My son is also 2, he was diagnosed almost 3 months ago. It started with two tiny patches in the back and now almost half of his hair is gone,but I have decided to let things happen and not put him through all of that. It took me awhile to accept him havingAA. I am just thankfull he is healthy and not stuck in a hospital bed sick.Maybe when it starts to get to him I might think about it,but for now he is at a age where it doesn't faze him he is just a crazy 2 year old boy.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service