Ive been thinking about asking my dermatologist for a prescription for lumigan...has anyone else been prescribed this for the sole purpose of growing eyelashes or eyebrows??? did you have any success? having alopecia can be hard, but i think the hardest part for me is not having lashes or brows

Views: 3277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well it has been 2 weeks and I am happy to report that it is definitely working! A gap I had on the right upper eyelash is completely filled in with tiny hairs and the bottom right side, which had nothing, has tiny hairs all across the bottom. I had gotten some injections about two weeks before I began the lumigan, so that could have contributed to the quick results, but in the two years that I've been receiving them they have never yielded such instant and dramatic results so I'm sure the combination has something to do with it.

I'm so used to wearing false lashes but I ended up pulling out some lashes when I was taking them off the other night! I will probably have to phase them out because I don't want to lose any lashes.

It truly seems to be working and it has only been 2 weeks, so I am thrilled and can't wait to see how things progress. Only drawback is that the drops come in a teeny tiny container and I bet I will go through it fairly quickly. Even with my insurance its 35 bucks a pop.
I hear ya about the prices.. Its crazy expenses..

I had 100% loss for over 3 years.. It has almost all grown back for me :o)
The specifics of the study by Price and Stamper is that it didn't work for people with AA in the UCSF pilot studies where the subjects had greater than 50% lash loss. That research effort did not attempt to study people with AA with less than 50% lash loss.

Since that is the only study undertaken at all so far, that is the only thing that can be reported specifically concerning people with AA.
Hi Zoey. Since you have been using this product for about a year now can you tell us if you have seen any of the pigmentation side affects? I have just started using it for my brows and one lower lash. When I was originally put on cyclosporine it turned my remaining hair from sandy blonde to jet black. If my hazel eyes turn brown, well I'm not sure if I'd really be me anymore! But at the same time I really want to keep my brows and lashes...

The one description of this I have found online is: "may gradually increase the pigmentation of the iris. The eye color change is due to increased melanin content in the stromal melanocytes of the iris rather than to an increase in the number of melanocytes. This change may not be noticeable for several months to years (see WARNINGS). Typically, the brown pigmentation around the pupil spreads concentrically towards the periphery of the iris and the entire iris or parts of the iris become more brownish. Neither nevi nor freckles of the iris appear to be affected by treatment. While treatment with LUMIGAN® can be continued in patients who develop noticeably increased iris pigmentation, these patients should be examined regularly."

Thanks
The darkening of the iris is a side effect of using Lumigan DROPS. The drops are used to treat glaucoma. The treatment for lashes involves brusing a drop of the liquid on the eyelid at the lash line. The Lumigan doesn't enter the eye. I've been using it for about two weeks and haven't had any problem with getting any in the eye.
How do you apply it? I use a Q-tip and rub it on after I put a drop on it...
Is it working for you?
I saved the brushes from the Latisse (which cost $130) and switched to the Latisse (a third of the price). Dr. Klein, the dermatologist who discovered the treatment, suggests using a clean eyeliner brush, rinsing it after each use, and keeping it in a clean baggie.
I've never heard of it, but would think twice before trying something like that. Let them study it a bit first. Safety first. Eyes are kinda important :)
I've been using latisse for about 4 weeks now, purely for cosmetic reasons ( i didn't lose my lashes). and my lashes are definitely longer and starting to get thicker, and no side effects. my derm said all of her patients really like it. the drawback is the price, but i think once i achieve the results i want then i can go from using it every day to a few times a week. one tip is do not use the applicators that come with it - they don't work well and are scratchy. i use an eyeliner brush - it allows for much more precise application of the drops.
Thanks Paula,

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not going to get a Rx yet as I am having some eyelash re-growth and would rather wait this out awhile longer.

May your lashes live long!!!

Jeffrey

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service