Hi all, I am 31 and have had au since I was 16. I just this weekend shaved my head and purchased a vacuum piece...most traumatic experience of me life. I'm holding on to this site as a great support for me right now. I have a 4 year old son who is trying to figure out why my hair is long during the day and short at night. I'm happy some days and others I'm just really sad that I had to do this...I just got married this past August and my husband has been my rock. It's so nice to know that there are all of you out there! People who haven't had these experiences just don't know how this feels...I'm really emotional after my "shaving"...I don't feel like myself. Any words of advice???
Kelley

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kelly

I'm so sorry that taking your hair away for your vacuum piece was traumatic. My daughter wears a freedom prosthesis and we had to do the same thing when she was 12 years old. Even though I found it sad, Libby my daughter found it quite a relieve. Some of the positives were that she now controlled what her hair did. She shaved it and she decided what was happening with it. We both found the shedding part of this condition very difficult to deal with as it felt like living in no-mans land with someone taking pot shots at us. No safety in trusting alopecia I'm afraid. :(

I really hope that your decision to take away the last of your hair becomes a real positive, but totally relate to how difficult it is to do. Hang in there this will improve. You are still you with or without your hair and just remember you are obviously loved by your son and husband and I believe that your hair contributes very little to the love they feel. It does take a wee while to adjust to the new look but it is a very attractive look ( I understand you don't feel that at the moment but have a look around this great site - there are so many gorgeous ladies without their hair).

Rosy
Hi Kelley,

I shaved my head in March this year and while it was a bit of an emotional experience, it was also a relief. I had more bald patches than hair at that point and I looked better bald than patchy. It took a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind my bald head that much anymore (my hair has now stopped growing which I took as a positive - now I don't have to shave). I know it can feel like the end of the world, but I honestly feel that taking the step to shave was the best thing I could have done at the time. Hopefully it will be for you too. I know how much I agonized over the decision to shave or not to shave and it took a lot of courage to actually do it. So good on you for going for it!

When do you get your vacuum piece? I wear a Freedom wig and I think it's fantastic so I hope yours works out well too, there are some positives to come out of this!

Karina.
Thanks for your story...As weird as it sounds it really helps to know that others have felt the same sadness as I do at one point in this journey. I got a freedom piece from New Zealand through Debbie Fuller. I just went into work with it on Tuesday for the first time (I'm a teacher), and everyone said how great my "new haircut" looked. It's styled differently and now I have all of it...LOL Each day that goes by, I'm getting better...this site is really helping me.
:) Kelley
Thanks everone who replied...you are a great aupport system...I'm feeling pretty good about things today...:)
Hello Kelley!!

I just shaved my head Tuesday night :)!!!! I posted a blog entry about it. WOW! I was blown away by how FREE I felt after doing it. Do I LIKE the fact that I had NO options ... HELL NO!! But by shaving it, I WAS BACK IN CONTROL!! Not my hair or lack there of!!

I do understand how you are feeling about your son, I have a 4 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son. I have not let them see me without my wig or scarf yet. They both know I shaved my hair off, because we had a family discussion before I did it. My son could care less! But I don't want my daughter to worry that it might happen to her. She already asks if it makes me sad when my hair falls out!! UGGG!! So much to try and explain to a 4 year old!!!

I don't know that I'll ever be brave enough to go out without SOMETHING on my head ... Only time will tell :)
Just know that YOU are NOT alone!! We are here for you and vice versa!! If I had not found this sight a few weeks ago, WHO KNOWS!! I am SO blessed by my support group here, my AMAZING husband, and my friends!! I have been ABSOLUTELY blown away by the LOVE lately!!

Hang in there Babe!! You are NOT your HAIR!!
{{Hugs}}
Celeste
How crazy....I shaved mine Saturday and you a few days later...It feels so good to know I'm not alone...I'm actually feeling great...with everyday that passes...I'm getting better! I just put my vacuum wig in a pong tail...I feel like me again! :)
Does anyone's head get itchy? My night wig drives me nuts.How often are you all needing to shave? Just trying to learn to navigate through this site ...just curious...Are you all able to view my pics? I can't tell if I put a lock on my pictures... I can't seem to get on to add more????
My head is ALWAYS itchy when I have my wig on. Fortunatly, I use a BeautiControl product called Protective Services that controls this!! Unfortunatly, the company has discontinued this product!! So either I am going to have to beg, borrow & steal from other BC consultants I know or buy it on Ebay or DEMAND from our R&D VP that he MUST bring it back!!

Can you believe this ... I have stubble already!! My Goodness .. I wish it would ALL just go away!! No more tricks!! Just be gone!!

Your pics are on your page ... You are beautiful Girl!! Can't wait to see the "new" hair!! Please tell me more about your vacuum wig ... You can do a ponytail!!?? I'm SO jealous!! Can't you swim in these too? I'm afraid you're going to tell me it cost a small fortune!!

Guess I can say...GREAT minds think a like!! TOO FUNNY that we "DID THE DEED" within days of each other!! Keep in touch!

Celeste
LOl...yes great minds do think alike...I had enough! I was ready for it to come off. The pics are from before the shave. I have au and I did a good job at hiding how thin I was...I wore extentions and then covered my scalp with couvre. That wasn't even working lately. For my wedding I had a bun piece on top of everything elso...talk about a pain! The vacuum wig I bought from Debbie Fuller...she is on this site...She is so wonderful and has helped me tremendously! The vacuum piece I got Saturday after the shave. i love it. It was 3,600...and I ordered a second so that I could switch on and off while the other gets fixed (every year it will need repairs). I've been saving for these 2 pieces. I'm going to try to fight the insurance company to see if they will reimburse me for a least a portion of it. It is something that you have to budget for but can last up to 5 years. Well worth it, NO ONE knows! They think I just got a great conditioning treatment and cut (I've been wearing my heair back alot to work prior to all of this so they don't remember it down really). I Can put it half up in a ponytail...whatever I want...It's so great!
:)
you are allowed to be emotional - don't feel bad because of it. it has been since aug when i shaved mine and im dizzy from the mood swings. plus what is growing back is white and looks like feathers. this site is the best and the people here are so amazing and strong. they really do give me inspiration and i want to be like them. some days im fine and some days i scream and some i cry and some i get really angry and some all of the above. hang in there!
Hi! I have Alopecia Areata and still have hair left so far but it is going and someday soon I will be facing the same decision to shave the head. It scares the crap out of me too! LOL.... I am wanting a vacuum wig too so I will be able to feel like me. Right now all of these other wigs I have got are anything but me.... It is tough going through all of this isn't it but you know you have come to the right place because support, understanding and friendship is what you will find here. I am sooooo envious of your new found pony tail too! That is exciting and a silver lining in everything isn't it!
When the time comes to shave...you'll know! You'll feel it in your heart that you are ready for the next step.. Yes, the ponytail is a great thing that people take for granted...LOL This site is a god sent!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service