How has AU affected your fingernails? I have one that's pretty riddled with pin-like indentions. Several of the others are oddly shaped and get the pin-sized indentions from time to time. My dermatologist told me (a long long time ago) that your fingernails are flattened, elongated hairs.

Views: 1753

Replies to This Discussion

I started taking Biotin about 6 months ago and it has made a huge difference in my nails. I was getting corticosteroid injections in my nails, as they were so bad they were splitting off the nail bed. It's been 2 months without injections and the nails look so much better with taking Biotin. I hope I don't have to go back to the injections(talk about pain) and I increased the Biotin from 1 mg to 2.5 mg. I may increase it again if I have a setback, my derm said I could go up to 5 if necessary. I'll keep you all posted.
Good deal with the nails! I take the 5mg tablet daily
Mine went really funky when I first lost my hair; started to flake and split into layers; dr seemed at a loss so I dripped superglue into the gaps and that helped them stop being so tender and catching on things. They still 'spoon' and have ridges and indetations but there pretty strong now. I don't have any half moons at the bases of some but they come and go! I also get these 'splinter bleeds' that look like little splinters under my nails. Apparently they can be a sign of bacterial infection of the heart but are a normal side effect of alopecia.
~ I have had that too (pin-size) or stipling (orange peel effect) on toenails and fingernails. I now do fake nails to cover them.. and also mine are super weak. but I can't tell you how or why it happens...
Are you using silk wraps, tips or gel for your nails? Have you had any increased peeling or weakness when fake nails are changed?

Thea
www.baldgirlsdolunch.org
Join our List
my fingernails are deformed since being diagnosed with alopecia areata which progresed to universalis last year- 4 of 10 are permanently weird - nails don't grow in wrong direction, crack constantly, can't get them to grow in properly so have to keep them short all the time otherwise they catch on anything and it's painful...
well my nails are short because i have a HUGE nail bitting problem but... my nails appear to be flattened and have dents in my nails but it looks as if my nails have lines on them too....
I understand. I had ridges on all nails initially after I was diagnosed - then the ridges disappeared - after the ridges disappeared, nails on the left hand developed tiny splits and grew in the wrong direction - causes endless frustration, painful - it's why I have to keep them short...there seems to be no similiarity in what happens to nails with this disease other than something happens...:)
yes mine are ridged too
I have (more) horrid nails now ;-) I have always bitten them, but now they are ridged and ugly! Whats pretty strange is since my AU, the skin under the nail doesn't get so sore. Before, if I bit them too much I would be pain for a few days, but now I can bite them way down and they don't hurt much at all, weird!!
I have AU and also have very brittle nails that split away from the nail bed and that they also have ridges in them. I am so happy that I have found out about this website. It just lets me know that I am not alone in the world.
I agree...sometimes it just would be nice to sit and talk with someone who really understands...

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service