HI! I'm new to the site! You all sound so wonderful! I've lost all my head hair and wear wigs. However, not everyone in this small city is aware of my condition, even those i work with. I have told some people at work and was wonderfully surprised how mature they were about it. Still several others at work don't know. If they ask i will tell them and i won't lie about it. But for most people it doesn't even cross their mind.

My 16 year old is interested in joining the YMCA. I get frustrated because I want to join also but working out only make my wig lose and sweaty. I would have to wear something else or nothing at all. Has anyone had this dillema? How about swimming? I'm concerned about not having my wig on these times as everyone will know. Do i sound self conscious?

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

not at all . When i was younger i would try to hide my head while swimming. So i would wear an old wig that i didnt wear ay more with a swim cap over it to keep it on to swim, For working out i love my BUFF. Like the ones they wear on surivor. they are great nice and light and absorbs the sweat. you acn get them on the NAAF website in the market place or from cbs.cpm to get the ones from the show.
Thanks Jennifer....i order two online and can't wait to get them.
Hi Jennifer,

When exercising I use an exercise BeauBeau. And it works really well, stays on and looks good. Can't help you with swimming, but do try looking up BeauBeaus on line.
Thanks Jean, I'll check into this.
Yes, you sound self-conscious, but who wouldn't??? We ALL feel this way -- don't worry!!! I belong to a gym and a community pool and I have found that baseball caps and/or bandannas work best for me. Wigs are too hot and uncomfortable when you're sweaty. If you wear a cap or bandanna, you can still tell that you don't have hair, but its not as glaringly obvious. I think most people just assume I'm going through chemo. No one seems to really pay any attention to me, to be perfectly honest.

As far as hats go, you can get some really nice ones from Nike and Adidas that are really light and airy. They're made of a nylon or mesh and cut just for women. I wear mine all the time at the pool for sun protection. I even get in the water with my trusty old black Adidas hat -- (my favorite hat, I'm wearing it in my bio pic). I will also swim with bandannas on my head. They feel a little funky when they're wet -- like if you walked around with a wet washcloth on your head -- but they dry out fast. Or you could just take a spare with you and change into a dry one. Oh, and one last thing---if your bandanna slips to the back of your head, there's a product called IT STAYS which is a liquid adhesive. It comes in a container that looks just like a roll-on deodorant and you just roll it on your forehead. The bandanna will stay in place until you take it off.

Hope this helps! Good luck...and don't be embarassed! You deserve to have fun too!!!!!!
Thanks Daria, you have several good ideas. I'm going to look for the "IT STAYS" product and see how that works. Ya know sometimes i get so tired of not being my true self that i want to take off my wig and just wear whatever. I wouldn't mind doing that but my real worry would be what other people (that i work with or friends of my kids) would be shocked to see me that way. Maybe i'll hold a press meeting at work and just blare it out. HA, HA! So does everyone you work with or know understand or are aware of your disease? Just curious.
Thanks Jennifer for bringing up a subject i have a hard time dealing with myself. I actually wore my wig in the Y pool last weekend with my kids... It was AWFUL! AND it's my only wig. Not the smartest choice - but the only one i could handle at the time.. I'm getting stronger every day.

Daria - i'm going to try that 'IT STAYS' (probably with a bandana) next time. Thank you for the tip!!
Amy, hi! I haven't been brave enough yet to go into the pool without the wig. This year, though, we are joining the community pool and i'm seriously committing to going in with my "survivor" buff. One of my fears is that people who know me now, at work for instance, are not aware of my condition. I don't want them to be "SHOCKED" when they see me.
I'll be thinking about you as you consider making this bold step. You will feel so much better once you step out like that. You'll be surprise how people are so accepting of it. And if they are not....it really doesn't matter. You are beautiful just as you are. I'm sure your son and other children if you have more, love you unconditionally. That's really all that matters.
I really enjoy my survivors buff. It allows me to go outside in the yard without feeling "funny". Do you wear your wig at home? (by the way i only have one wig too) Good luck. Jennifer Strom
I just started to go to the local athletic club pool with my AA (broke my kneecap and I walk in the water for therapy). I wear a bandana or a cap because my head is not under water. I did learn that I need to bring a backup scarf because it has gotten wet. I also noticed that a lot of the women in the pool wear swim caps. I'm in a 60K town and am open about the alopecia to coworkers and neighbors. It's a small community and I'd prefer they know I have alopecia and that I'm not dealing with cancer.
Hi Jennifer,

I'm rather self-conscious too. I wear a swimming cap when I swim at the pool, I just wear my wig into the building and leave it in my bag when I put my bathers on.
I would like to join the gym but I haven't plucked up the courage to that, since I wouldn't wear my wig as it gets hot and heavy sort of feeling on my head. I recently bought a headwrap which covers all the head but I still don't have the courage to walk down to the shops with it on. I only wear it around the house. They are really comfy. Web address - www.headwraps.com.au
All the best, Angela
Do look at Beaubeaus. They are very good looking and stay on-even in downward dog position-That's a yoga pose. I have a couple and have given them to others-one to a friend with alopecia and one to a friend getting chemo. They both loved them.

I do wear mine to the gym regularly. Once I have explained to people that I'm not on chemo, and then explain what AA is, and answer questions, I don't have to go thru that again.

Also I might be intersted in the Turkish OYA scarf. There is a video of how to use this on this site somewhere. I just haven't found the OYA scarves yet.
They look really nice, I've just had a look on your website. The fabric dangling down looks nice just like hair. I think these would be better than a swimming cap especially for the beach. The difficult choice is which colour do I go for? I find now I look really washed out sometimes, I suppose I just need to choose the correct colour - any suggestions to make the choice easier?
Angela

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service