I'm new to this site and to alopecia and I have what may be a stupid question. My hair began to fall out three months ago in a large patch on the back of my head and a smaller patch on one side of my head. It has slowly progressed to those original spots being totally bare while smaller spots appeared on the back, top, and other side. Is there any way to know how it will progress or when it is getting better? Originally if I ran my hand through my hair there would be hair everywhere that fell out. Now there's less but more diffuse patches. Anyone with insight, I appreciate it.

Ever

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alopecia is truly an unpredictable condition. It knows no rhyme or reason, follows no known logical pattern, and is by turns frustrating and devastating to the people who live with it, to say the least. I wish I could tell you why your hair falls out the way that it does, but if I knew the answer to that question I would probably have a cure for it too!

I wish I had a better answer than that, but please believe that I do know how you feel and understand what you are going through right now.
I have had alopecia areata for about three years. I first responded v well to steroid treatment and it grew back in bits but the growth was always slower than the loss. I have never had full regrowth and at the moment I have a very large area of hair loss. It starts on my left temple and extends all the way to the back of my head. I also have a large spot on the top of my head.
I find that I go through periods of losing alot and then it calms down. I thought it had stopped falling out altogher until this January-it had been a year since I noticed it get worse. So like the others said it is just so unpredictable. There are a few people I have spoken to that have had full regrowth at times.
I had the same progression 6 years ago- my beard and mustache lost patches also. I got monthly cortizone shots, then squaric acid treatments on my head for a year. Everything grew back in a year. I didn't have any more problems for 6 years till it started falling out again on top of my head in July. It seems to moving slower this time and no progresson to my beard.

You have to ride the roller coaster. I shaved my head last time after it started looking so bad. This time I am trying to do the comb over for as long as possible.

It was kind of funny last time, I used to get jealous of the bald guys with a symetrical looking loss. Needless to say, I never make fun of anybody's hairstyles anymore.
Hi

I really wish I could give you a definitive answer here. But I can't and either can anybody else. This is a totally unpredictable condition and nobody knows what is going to happen.

My only advise is to do as much research as to how you want to handle your hairloss. I'm not sure if you want to try treatments etc. But be careful with these as at the moment there is no cure and even though some treatments work for some people there is never an absolute answer. The reason I say to be careful is because some treatments can have long reaching side effects. So make sure you are well educated about whatever you try.

Good luck with everything.

Rosy
It is different for everyone. Some peoples hair grows back pretty quick, and others takes a long time Or never does grow back.
Myself, it took about a year to completell all fall out. I have not had and hair on my head since 1999. Years after that it has developed into AU and I have no hair anywhere on my body.
I think it just depends on the person, everyone is different.
Sorry, I couldnt answer your question.. I totally understand how frustrating it can be.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service