hello, ive just been told today that i have alopecia areata im abit gobsmacked but i think i knew it was coming, can sumone please tell me what all the blood tests are for as i have to go for them on fri (16-05-08)

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only had one blood test...for my thyroid....they link Alopecia with thyroid disorders. Thats all I know of though.
theyv given me a list of things theyr gna check ie fbc and u & es ect
I am with Lee they never gave me one just diagnosed me. Years later I took one to see if my thyroid was ok.
I went through this when I was first diagnosed, it's really not too bad if you can stand a couple needle pricks. Not sure about all the tests you've listed but the ones I got were to check the thyroid (like mentioned before), to check the immune system, and a few others I cant remember off the top of my head.

I had the FBC done too, which is just a Full Blood Count.

Some people may argue against it, but it's probably not a bad idea. When I got the results back it was a relief because it meant I didn't have anything life-treatening or anything more besides AA. So I would do it and just try to rule out something more major. Hope this helps
Hi, I had a thyroid test when I was first diagnosed which came back fine. Recently, I went for my annual physical and my doctor decided to check my thyroid again and also some markers for the immunue system. Everything came back fine and I am sure yours will as well. Good luck!
Hello! Im new to this website as well so I wanted to say hi.

Sorry to hear that you recently learned about having Alopecia, its hard and it sucks in my opinion!

That I recall I had one bloodtest and they didnt find anything wrong either, so like others have said, you should be fine!

Welcome aboard! My best advise is to be open to as many people as you can. I tried to hide my alopecia and it only made me get depressed which i think I am now pretty much anti-social... bleh
Hi Michelle,
Every time I go back to the docs to talk about my alopecia we end up doing blood tests (although last time I went in it was only to talk about wigs). It's normally for iron levels and thyroid and for me, everything always comes back normal.
I was at the dermatologists this week and he checked my nail beds, as well as looking at my scalp for signs of scarring or scaliness. Apparently it's good I've got neither! I was definitely relieved on the scales front anyway :-).
I'm assuming you've had your results back by now and no doubt they were all okay too.
Hi Michelle,
I am going through the same thing as you at the moment, just got my blood tests back. They have now
referred me to a dermatologist, but that was a month ago and still have another month to go before i can see them.

Its driving me crazy i just want to know whats going on.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service