I am thirteen and kids at my age are not exactly the nicest. Who have you told? Have you told people at school? What did they say? Do they make fun of you? answering any of these questions could help me. I dont know wheather to wear my hair the way I like and expose my spots but I'm just scared of what people might say. Has anyone had any experience or suggestions about this? Thank you very very much.

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey caroline, i understand your dilemma. i began losing my hair when i was seven and the kids at my school were very judgmental. mainly i think it is because they didn't understand. i didn't really talk to people about my alopecia until i was in high school because i was scared, but i discovered that it doesn't matter what age you are, as long as you have close and supportive friends, they will help you through the times when the other kids are being quite harsh. wear your hair as it is comfortable for you and don't give a second thought to the kids who aren't nice to you about it, don't mind them at all. what matters is that you are a beautiful person on the inside and strive for that. best of luck to you, and have a beautiful day! =)
I remember when I told my friends mom, and she started to call me "wigHannah". Wasn't the niciest thing, but I think she didn't really know how to react. Now I'm more carefull.. Other people though, have been very understanding.
I am feeling the same exact way
Well you have to tell yourself that at least you don't have one kidney or half a heart. That's what my mom keeps telling me to think to myself.
Hi Alexandra

I sort of agree with your mum but I also think that it's ok to feel bad about this. It isn't easy when you have something and it is taken away. Your hair and how you would naturally present yourself has been taken away.

I sort of think of it like this.

" If I hit my thumb with a hammer and someone came up to me and said stop that yelling you know there are people in more pain in this world" - well I probably wouldn't stop yelling because even though I know other people have bigger pain it hurt then when the hammer belted my thumb. That's how I think of alopecia when it hurts you have to yell even though you know there are bigger things out there. If it's hurting you have a right to be sad and to express that - just so long as you keep trying to find solutions for yourself on how you want to deal with the hurt.

Hope that helps a little.

Rosy
hi im nycolette i was 11 when i lost my hair and i found it much easier to tell them because then they understand be yourself wear your hair the way you want to wear it and if people mess with you dont take it to heart they are just stupid and dont understand your very pretty you have nothing so worry about you will be fine.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service