I have always had low self esteem. In 2003, I decided to lose weight and get healthy so I started exercising and eating right. I lost 100 pounds in 8 months and felt great. Soon after though, I started experiencing low blood pressure and low blood sugar and alot of food intolerances. I also experienced depression and felt likesomething was chemically off somewhere in my body. I went to the doctor and he started me on Wellbutrin. After 2 weeks of taking it, I had severe hair loss, so I stopped it immediately. My hair texture changed and since then, I have periods of intense diffuse shedding that never seems to recover. I am left with hair that feels like cotton candy and have to use concealer and style certainways to hide my loss.
I use to be so active, I love to run and play basketball. Now, Im scared to move for fear that my "secret" will be out. I feel so ugly and ashamed. I feel like a part of me has died. My life is being altered in so many ways.Some days I feel like I just want my life to be over. Someone please help me to get past this.........

Views: 3303

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i know the place u are at cause i have been there too; but since discoverying these people on this web site , i am begining to come out of it; just being able to talk to people that know exactly what i feel and what u are going through; listen to them they have some good ideas on coping.
Well Susan, we all have our half-crazy ways of getting through, but we all seem so muddle through and come out ok. It takes time. Some days it feels like you have a knife in your chest and can't find a place for your anger. Others, you want to hide. My suggestion is that you take it one day at a time. If you feel like a floating turd one day, do something special - if you don't want to go out, order something online - I think its the best waiting for something to come in the mail. A treat to say "good job" another day towards being ok.

My long red hair has been gone for over a year now, and I am still bitter about it and feel horribly ugly some days. I know I am not ugly, and neither are you. Its just that our image of ourselves is changing on the outside, so our brain is lagging behind in the adjusting in my opinion. But you know what, everyone has bad days, and as you go along the bad days get farther apart.

But like many people say, we've been in a similar place to where you are, so please don't hesitate to just say hello or ask for a movie suggestion or anything! Hey, I tried trapeze and love it. I HATE the mirrors and hate wearing my hair in the studio, so they were kind enough to mount them so they can cover them when I am there. So stay active, even if its little steps.

Hugs!

Rach
Susan,
You have many things to celebrate, the weight loss is a big thing and I want to commend you on that! After reading your discussion and all of the others words of inspiration and camaraderie, all I can add is...we are all kindred spirits here to help and love each other with healings for the spirit. Don't ever think you are alone in this, we all have our up and down days and we all are here for you.

Yes, you are grieving...a lot of parts of you did change and drastic changes can be hard to face all at once, but you can re-birth your spirit with self love and acceptance, you are a totally different person now. And you are much much stronger than you know!

Please never stop loving yourself...write it on a piece of paper and place it on the side of your mirror if you have to: ”I am still me!" & "I Love Me!"

We have so many accessory options as women, you don't have to look at it as hiding a secret...just accessories your look and own it as yours.
~Yvonne
Hi, Susan. I too am on Wellbutrin. Oddly, my hair loss started before I got on it (right before). I looked up some medical information (for me as well as you because your story sparked some curiosity). It turns out that the those sites Ive visited have said that hair loss is tied to most anti-depressants and it is a reaction to a change in body chemistry while the meds are being adjusted. They also say that once the medicines are stabilized, it should slow or stop altogether, if not, it could be a thyroid problem (which could contribute to the depression) and that may have to be adjusted as well. If you have depression, I wouldnt stop the meds. That secret you speak of, I know how it feels. BUt believe me, it will indeed pass. Depression is a terrible illness, and is BY FAR more important than hair loss in my opinion, but I can also understand how losing your hair can add to it. Since dealing with both issues, my hair loss has stabilized and so has my depression. SO can yours. Dont give up. Were here for you.
Im coming back to this a little late, but thanks alot for checking this for me (and you).
Im not taking any medicine right now for fear of causing more shedding. My depression is directly linked I think to my hair loss. It sheds and sheds and drives me insane. Im slowly coming to realize that no matter what, my life will go on. Maybe not as I planned, but it will be as great as I make it. :) At least thats what I keep telling myself. Say a little prayer for me.
Hi Susan,

I hope this finds you well.
Did you go back to the Dr or to another one to help you with your depression?

Jeff
No, Im too scared to try any medicine. I just take one day at a time.......

I remember back in my day when the depression hit me quite harshly the prudent solution was to get a dog. And If your landlord doesn't allow animals just get a support animal letter and you'll be able to take your dog even on an airplane, here's a good guide thedogtor.net/flying-with-your-emotional-support-animal-the-complet...

Anyone have this or know of someone who does? Any suggested treatment for children?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service