Transitioning from childhood to adulthood with alopecia

If you were diagnosed as a small child with alopecia, how did you cope with alopecia growing up in school, and how did you transition from childhood to adulthood with it? Was it easier living with alopecia as a child or is it easier living with alopecia as an adult? Please share your experiences and suggestions here!!!

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hi i got alpoecia wen i was 5. it was very hard growing up with it and i relize i was not the same as every 1 else. i got bullied alot i left school young! but as an adult now i feel much better but still have confident problems but im thankful in life as other people r worser,,,im grateful i can see my sons and like i always say 2 my self there hair is my hair lol,,,take care angela
HI I have had alopecia since 2 years old. Growing up with alopecia was very difficult for me. I was teased by other kids, some might even say tortured. I was called baldy and the kids told everyone I had leukemia and that I was going to die soon. I was threatened by other kids, they would try to jerk my hair off. I wore synetheic wigs so it was readily noticeable that I wore a wig. My transition into adulthood was rough for me. It wasn't until I met my wonderful soul mate, now my husband of seven years that my life changed. I now wear a human hair custom made system. I love it! I do not get stared at now, or humilated in public like it use to be. Coming out at the conference a couple of years ago was the best thing I could of ever done. I remenber being so nervous, but my husband was there to support me 100 percent as well were my alopecia friends. It was the best day!
I would have to say that growing up as a kid and a teenager with au was much harder than an adult. High school was ummmm.... the worst. It kept me from a lot of activites that I really wanted to participate. There was no way I was going in to a locker room after a sporting event. And I certainly had more than my fair share of being the butt of others jokes and torment. College was totally the opposite though. I became friends with a large group of friends that just accepted me without question and I revelled in it.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service