For those of you that don't know there is new legislation being brought before Congress. It is the bill HR 5936. This bill would require Medicaid to annually cover the cost of one hair prostheses. In most states there is little or no coverage for a hair prostheses, some states not even covering the cost for someone with breast cancer!! In my state (Illinois) insurance companies don't cover the cost for alopecia or breast cancer. I sent a letter to my Congressman asking him to support the bill. The letter I have attached is what I sent to my family in friends asking them to send letters to the Congressman of my area asking him to support this bill. The next couple months are crucial for the passing of this bill. Everyone may not want to wear a wig, but I think everyone should be able to have that choice, regardless of income. It would be great if you could send letters to your Congressman asking him to support this bill, because this bill has potential of becoming a law! Many people could be helped with this bill. If you have any questions let me know.

Views: 13

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's great Ashley! Way to go. I already got my congresswoman, Anna Eshoo, to co-sponsor the bill. We neede more people to do what you did!
thats awesome that you did that! good for her!
Would Medicare have to pay too?
yes it would. and the fact that medicaid and medicare would be paying, would possibly influence private insurance complanies to include some sort of coverage.
Hey that's great you did that!
It's funny because my mom's a state representative for Delaware and she started and passed a bill mandating insurance companies to pay 500 dollars for full-scalp protheses! I hope your bill passes!
wow thats awesome that your mom did that! Good for her!
Thanks for this Ashley!! I have sent this to all my coworkers here in Memphis as well as all my friends and family in Nashville, as well as my mom's church members. Keep pushing and we will MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
Thanks so much helping out the effort YoKasta!! We can make it happen!
Thanks for doing this, I'm busy often and sadly don't pay to much attention to things like that so it's nice to have it brought to my attention.
XOXO
CAR
I'm glad you know about it now...i hope you can get your Congressman to support it. =)
Regardless of the dollars in coverage, it is great for awareness and possibly the finding of a cure, if the name alopecia areata appears in legislation of the US governement. This condition doesn't get the recognition that it should. A cure will only come about with recgonition and funding and this is a good place to start.
I just got the email from naaf... Woo Hoo!!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service