One of the best alopecia support groups online can be found right here in Alopecia World. Of course, I'm referring to the many fascinating people who have become members of Alopecia World since the site's launch just over a week ago.

The thing that makes our group great isn't just how so many of you reach out with compassion, wisdom, and encouragement, but ours is also a strong community because it's richly diverse. For example, many different ethnic groups are represented among us as well as several different countries.

To help create greater awareness of the cultural diversity in Alopecia World, please tell us what country you live in and how alopecia (hair loss) is generally viewed in your society. You may also include other information that might clarify matters and help us grasp what life might be like for male and female alopecians living in your country. Feel free to discuss any country that you've lived in for a significant amount of time.

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi!!

I was born near Johannesburg in South Africa.... where there is a whole clinic for alopecia!!
I am currently and for the past 14 years.... living in Athens Greece. Alopecia... isn't that well known... even though I have seen quite a few people on the street that are sufferers.... I haven't had the courage to approach them... I wasn't sure at to how they would take it.

My greek family here, in the beginning.... were weary...... they wouldn't let me near the newborn babies.... they probably thought I had something contagious.... even though I had explained that it is a self-immune problem.

The doctors here.... weren't very supportive..... and kinda dealt with me in a quick manner... as if I had gone to them for a headache!! I was very disappointed.... In south africa.... I had had cortizone injections as treatment.... (while having AU).... and they worked!!! The docs here however, refused to give me this treatment..... telling me the area was too large and would be too painful...(as if it would be THEM feeling the pain LOL)
So basically.... I kinda gave up on treatment... stop paying the docs.... and tried to accept the fact... that i will never again have a normal head of hair.
I always believed that Greece was a fairly developed, sophisticated country.
It seems they need to learn more about alopecia there.
In America we seem to know more about it. At least many people do.

I myself am an American, from the United States.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service