I've been bald for 5 months now, and as the weather has warmed, I've grown increasingly reluctant to wear anything on my head unless I'm in air conditioning or the weather is cool. In the past few days, I've had many firsts: first time bald at the public library, a big shopping mall, supermarket, health club, etc..... I wear a hat for sun protection until I get inside or into shade, then off it comes. I carry a knit cap or scarf in my purse in case the store is super cold. I teach a weekly dance class bald - even a scarf was too hot for me while exercising.

It's so much more comfortable, and the reactions from people have been no problem. I hold my head up and smile at them. Sometimes I'm asked if I have cancer, but I'm getting used to that. More often people just smile, or don't seem to notice (except the children). It was hard at first, but it seems that every time I do it, it feels more natural, more "me".

As I'm getting used to life with AU, I'm wearing a wig or scarf only when it's cool enough and I want to dress up or go to an indoor event. I'm wondering whether I'm weird to feel this way. I have yet to see another bald women "out there", (except for the wonderful Bald Girls Do Lunch I went to in January, just before I shaved my head) and wish I did see some. Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this topic? What do you do?

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

It's all about how you feel comfortable presenting yourself. That's one of the pluses with AA/AT/AU you have a choice on how you want the world to see you. That as you have said depends on many variables. How hot you are? How you see yourself? Your personality and the ability to cope with people's curiosity etc. etc.

I think it's wonderful that you feel comfortable with going AU naturel.

Rosy
I love the term "AU naturale"! Thanks!
I haven't worn wigs much since 2001 and people's reactions don't phase me at all anymore. It does feel more "AU naturale" LOL that's cute! Even though I've had alopecia my whole life I have never seen another bald woman out in public, only at planned gatherings and I've only seen one man in public with it whom I spoke to. There is another woman in town who is a bit older than me but people mix us up, I'm sure I'll come across her path one day.

As for what I do, I just wear whatever feels comfy when I'm out whether it's nothing, a wig or scarf. I'm careful not to get sunburnt though, that hurts! I even roll on some sparkles from time to time if I go dancing or somewhere fancy and am currently making a chain mail coiff to cover my head during the cooler days. :)
The chain mail isn't that uncomfortable, you have to wear something under it though because it can scratch a bit, unless I solder all the seems which would take forever! You can still do the tattoo Bogie, just shave! A larger variety of colours is becoming available in henna however it wouldn't create the clarity you get with real tats. Also you may want to read the package to make sure you can use it safely on your head. Most drug stores and head shops sell these dyes.
You are not weird to feel that way. You're awesome! Kudos to you. If I was completely bald, I'd rock out the bald head in public, too. But while stuck inbetween with AA, I do cover up with a bandana just because my buzzed hair looks rather crazy otherwise. LOL. But at home and around the condo building I just walk around with nothing on my head.
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I think it is easier going bald when there aren't patches of hair or dark spots. I went through that stage.

By the way, check out my post on the Events, special announcements forum about next week.
Wow....
GOOD subject. Ive been AU for over 20 years with no regrowth what so ever. I am also a bit pudgy, and I have some tatoos on my arms...
When I am out AU natural....bandanna on the head, cut off shorts, tank tops, and flip flops...I see more people looking at my head than anything else.
When I am in "professional Mode" wig, tats covered, wearing decent clothes, I get noticed because my hair is blonde and really pretty (it better be, I paid thru the teeth for it!!!)

I have never gone out without a something on my head. I feel as tho, I would have no clothes on. Even when I am in the house....
I live alone, and walk from the bathroom to the bedroom nakked...and THAT is the feeling I get when I go without a something on my head...
But it has nothing at all to do with my acceptance. I am beyond ok with being bald. Its is all about my comfort level...like what has been said here, am I hot? In the summer with my wig on?? I am dripping in sweat!
When I work out, go to the pool, go over to friends, anything outside of work actually....I wear a bandanna. There has been times when I have just taken off my bandanna...whne I have been so awful hot, and a nice breeze comes about...But then putting a sweaty wet bandanna back on isnt all that fun either.
GOOD TOPIC!!!
My wife every once in awhile goes out in public bald. She really dresses nice and feminine when she does. She never goes out bald in jeans, always in a really pretty dress. She wears her earrimgs, usually long ones. She has makeup on. She also has her left nostril pierced, she usually wears a diamond stud in her nose when she is out in public bald.

She has told me no one asks her if she has cancer, but she believes that is because she goes out of her way to dress so feminine and make a fashion statement when she is out in public bald. That way people know she is healthy. She looks healthy anyway. She looks beautiful bald.
She's a lucky woman to have such a supportive husband. Fortunately, I have one, too.
Tamgirl,
When did you get married? You must have been incredibly beautiful in your beautiful wedding dress with that pretty face and lovely bald head of yours!

You wrote Tamgirl that you go out in public bald wearing jeans, not a dress or skirt, and wearing no earrings. You can probably do that and still look feminine because you are unusually pretty and feminine.
But you would look sensational in a beautiful dress and nice long earrings with your pretty bald head and feminine pretty face. You should try that!
Thanks Mary. You are lovely!
Thank you for your reply! It's so good to hear from another woman who goes out of the house without coverning her head.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service