I have noticed a lot of people here started w aa and ended up w au. Is this more commen then not? Does any one know the statistics. Or had aa for an extensive period of time? I'm trying to get myself prepared I guess.

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks so much for the virtual hugs and hand-holding. I'm feeling much better this morning, as usual. My down times about my hair loss always seem to be worst at night, then better the next morning. We will be alright. Looking at that video of me from 4 years ago, I also had to remember that at that time two women friends were alive who are now dead as a result of cancer. We HAVE had a loss, but we are healthy and active and lucky. Hugs back, Mary
I went from AA from age 4 to 19, now I'm 20 and seem to have AT, I swear if I get AU I'll just kill myself and I have never been more serious about anything I've in my life until that.
I have just been diagnosed this week with AA and although it is now consuming my thoughts I can not imagine that hair loss would be worth taking your life. I see all of these pictures of beautiful bald people and I am so impressed at their courage. I am just starting to gather information and I can't believe how little information is out there. I guess I am not getting too upset about the hair loss yet because I don't know if I will end up with just the two spots that I currently have or if it will get worse. Does anyone have any idea if most people that start out this late in life (44) just get a mild case or should I expect to see more hair loss?

Breeze...before you think about killing yourself over hair loss remember the beautiful bald people on this site!
Hi Trish. Just like you, I had my first ever bald spots in my 40's - at age 47. Before that, I had no signs of AA at all. For 7 years, the isolated spots would fill back in (after cortisone injections, but they might have come back anyway without them). I was obsessed with losing it all, or losing my eyebrows, and checked my scalp all the time for new spots.

Then, for no apparent reason, it started to progress in late 2007, with the bald areas becoming larger and joining up. Finally, when I couldn't "comb over" any longer, I shaved it all off in January 2008, and within 4 months the stubble was gone, and I lost all body and facial hair and went to AU at age 55. Recently, I've had some eyebrow, eyelash, facial and nose hair grow back, but I don't expect anything more.

Check out my page for photos, blogs and videos. It took me a year, but I've accepted that this is me now, and I've moved on with life. Life is wonderful, and I'm able to do everything I want (subject to the usual limitations of being 56!) I have WAY less stress about losing my hair now that it's all gone, if that makes any sense.

You'll find lots of support here - stay in touch.
Mary
Hi Mary...thanks for the information. I am trying the cortisone creme on my two spots but wonder if I should even bother. It sounds like you either grow it back or you don't. There is no rhyme or reason. I am not one that likes to take any medications unless absolutely necessary as there are too many side effects that the doctors don't bother telling you about.

I asked my doctor if she should perform a biopsy and she said it wasn't necessary. She also didn't do any blood work. Should I insist that she at least do the blood work? I read on one of the discussions that you should be checked for the autoimmune thyroiditis.
I felt the way you do about meds...I did the cortisone shots and used the cortisone cream because they didn't have any systemic side effects. I let my dermatologist talk me into taking oral Prednisone for 3 weeks in Nov. 07 to see if it would snap my immune system out of the rapidly progressing attack on my hair follicles. When it had no effect, other than a slight weight gain, I stopped it. I never considered anything else. My health is the most important thing.
Breeze E.,
Hi there. Hope you are having a good day today. Or at least better then before. I've been struggling w what to write to you...I don't want to make you feel worse but couldn't let your post go unresponded to. So please understand I mean no ill intent w what I say to you. Sometimes when I have felt in similar ways in the past, good intentioned people say things that would make me feel worse...please know that is not my intent and more then likely any one elses here. That said...nothing is worth your life my friend. Not your hair not anything. You are the determinator (is that a word?) of your future. (It is now.) You can not obviously determine your hair growth...we all know how badly that sucks. But you can decide to work through your **** to help yourself feel better about where you are. Don't give up. Pick out something small, something good...and dwell on it when ever you feel bad about yourself (just a suggestion anyways)...anything. Some one you love, something beautiful, something that makes you smile. Eventually start looking for other things and maybe even something about yourself that's good to dwell on. It's there, sometimes we are just really just to blind to see it. Sometimes things just seem so dark. You gotta work man...make it work for you...some how. But if it does turn au and you do off yourself you are letting this disease win...and you...like everyone else who's got it deserves better then that.
Doen time doen't determine who you are either. We all make mistakes. Some rather large more blatent then others, but ulitmatly you still got the future, and more importantly today. And you're out. I hate the saying w a passion but it is kinda true, One day at a time. And that is all you can ask of yourself.
I truely hope I didn't say anything to make you feel worse, I just hope you find a place of hope for you.
Take care,
Magan
Some of the treatments that I have read about sound absolutly horrific. Losing my hair hurts my pride. I'm already in enough pain from other physical problems. I don't have any desire to cause more problems and pain by adding more crud to my already reeling body. Like the one that has poison ivy like side effects. My goal is to reach acceptance. Then what happens happens. I have other more significant health problems that I feel need to be addresed by a doc...when I get one. Just some thoughts...hope everyone is doing well.
Magan
There is no way to predict if it is going to progress, but I will say this.

AU has actually been great compared to AA. I still have to deal with not having hair on my head, which sometimes is hard, but there are plenty benefits. I don't have to shave my legs (def do not miss this!)! I don't have to shave my arm pits! Every boyfriend I have had has always said how much they love how smooth and soft my skin is. There is definitely a silver lining.
Yes, I agree, Eva. I love having really smooth legs all the time and never having to worry about underarm shadow. I used to have to bleach or wax my upper lip. Swimming and diving with a bald head is much more comfortable than with hair. It's definitely not all bad.
The thing I miss the most is the eyebrows and eyelashes. Never realized those suckers were actually useful until they were gone.

A lot of times I actually wish I had less hair on my head. Enough still grows that it just looks really splotchy and ugly with no wig on and keeping it shaved down would just be too much trouble. Still- once you just accept it for what it is, it's just not that bad. I often think to myself that I wouldn't get rid of it even if I could because for the past 10-12 years, I have not even thought about shaving my legs. I just do not want to deal with it. And I would really miss my smooth smooth skin. (and so would my boyfriend!)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service