How did you first get your diagnosis for alopecia areata? Did anyone have to have a skin biopsy or your doctor just knew from looking at the area? I have been reading about scarring alopecia and non-scarring alopecia. How does the scalp look? My daughter has two large bald spots. Some areas have grown and the other areas have not. After using cortisone creams, her scalp turned dark. The derm says she has no scarring.

Views: 984

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be very careful of any supplements that purport to accelerate hair growth. There is always a chance that they contain Testosterone or one of it's metabolites. Unless you want facial hair a deep voice and a heart attack, I would pass. Hair loss pales in comparison!

The name of the prescription is finasteride 5mg  1/2 a day

Carol

Right,

The brand name is Propecia. It is an anti-androgenic kind of hormone blocker. It is used in prostate disease, also can be  used for male pattern baldness; it does not work very well for that. It is a kind of pro-estrogen drug, in that it blocks the androgenic effects of testosterone in men.  In women, the testosterone level is low anyway, I'm not really sure if excess hair growth would be a big problem,  The main indication is to decrease the size of the prostate in benign prostatic hyperplasia, aka, BPH. Since we, women do not have a prostate, it seems kind of inappropriate to take a medication that targets an organ that we do not even have. It probably won't kill you, but neither does alopecia!!! That does not negate the pain we all share.....

Dr Sarah

Olympia Wa

Small smooth bald spots are indicative of AA.  Unless the hair is being pulled out...  I don't think AA is too difficult to diagnose (other than just looking at it.) 

You are pretty close to correct, except that the lesions are not always small. The bald spots start exactly as you describe. If there is no further progression the bald areas fill in. If there is progression, the scalp involvement can move from spot to spot to make one big round area, but as more hair is lost the 'round' shape can become really irregular. I only have my experience to share plus what I learned in med school and beyond. The facts I knew to be true failed me because I did not anticipate the awkward, painful transition from two bald patches which eventually ended up as universals. If you think your eyelashes and eyebrows are falling out too it's enough to make you nuts!! I have had NO hair except for some hair on my right leg (NOT FUNNY), for over two years. This disease spares nobody. This forum is so great because it allows questions that you do not know who else to ask. For example,  I find wigs uncomfortable- they itch and stuff is always in  my eyes. It took me about six months before I went to the store with a 'cancer' hat on. I have since used a wide variety. Doo rags are good, so are knitted hats. I got my first knitted hat last winter. the best thing is it's not obvious that you have NO hair underneath. Summer is kind of a pain. I still wear light weight scarves-but have not had the  guts to shed them. I am waiting for the day when I look at myself in the mirror and don't flinch. My other issue is my head feels cold all the time, unless I have a hat or scarf. Sometimes even a scarf is too light. My feet are cold too so..whatever!!       Happy New Year to everybody!

Hers are large bald spots.The derm said its aa.I hope so some hair has regrown.With scarring alopecia I heard its not possible. So I still have hope. I just hope the derm knows what she is talking about.
Have anyone had regrowth from scarring alopecia?

I was told I had AA a couple years ago but now I have itching, redness, and small pimple like bumps on my head so I am waiting on referral to derm to get scalp biopsy to see if it is Cicatricial Alopecia (Scarring Alopecia). I have alot of thinning and a round bald spot on left side. You can do a search of photos of Scaring Alopecia and you will see. There are severe and mild cases shown on photos. On me my scalp is splotchy red and itches alot. It also has pimple like bumps filled with clear liquid or pus. The scaring you usually can't see because it is under the skin unless it is severe. I have been reading all I can about hair loss but sometimes it can be to much. I am still not sure I have scarring alopecia until after biopsy results. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service