I had a thought recently that has given me a little lift of my spirits when I'm feeling down or strange about not having any hair on my body. I've been a student of evolution for many years, and have enjoyed reading books (by, for your reference, authors including Stephen J. Gould, Richard Dawkins, David Quammen, Niles Eldridge, and others....) I've been particularly interested in human, or "hominid" evolution. Here's what I think:

Alopecians are not "defective" or deficient in any sense. On the contrary, we're actually in the vanguard of human evolution...the next step! Our species has been called "The Naked Ape" (a book by Desmond Morris). If you look at other primates on our particular evolutionary tree branch, the trend in hominid evolution is clearly toward LESS hair - humans have a lot less hair than our nearest relatives, the chimpanzees (who share something like 98% of our DNA).

I think that in the future, Homo sapiens will be totally hairless. Evolution is about adaptation to environment. As traits become more useful in terms of survival and reproduction, those traits are passed on. As traits become less useful, they are modified or discarded entirely. For example, the land-dwelling distant ancestors of whales used to have legs and hoofs and hair.

Humans no longer need hair covering their bodies. It serves no evolutionary advantage in a world where we no longer need fur for warmth. (And, since so many women and men wax and shave in order to be MORE attractive to sexual partners, being hairy probably doesn't convey a reproductive advantage anymore.)

So, this is my theory and I'm sticking with it. I am a highly evolved being...an example of the future of humankind!

( ;-)

Views: 649

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hope you're feeling better soon, Demm!
Interesting theory, Mary. And since all land life pretty much decended from the first lizards to crawl from the primordial soup -- and presumably they were as bald as a tadpole -- I'd say we're just completing the cycle! I'm going for a swim. Cheers.
Did anyone else see this news item about "Useless Body Parts", such as male nipples and the appendix? One of the useless parts is BODY HAIR!

http://wcco.com/slideshows/useless.body.parts.20.314014.html

Looking through this slide show illustrates the fact that certain traits are disappearing as evolution continues...some people have these extra ribs and muscles, etc., but many people no longer have them. Proves my point!

( ;-)
Only just came across this thread.... interesting idea!

However, in that link to "useless body parts", I noticed there was no mention of "Husbands" or "Wives"..... maybe that's another future trait: everyone ends up single! (only joking, honest!!) :)
Jokes may not be the truth but they represent a true feeling. Are you fishing your wish?

Thea
Join our list at the award-winning website baldgirlsdolunch.org
Hi Thea, how're you?

"Fishing my wish".... that's not an expression I've heard before!
Well, as I'm already single, it can't be something I'm wishing for (if anything, it's the opposite!)... but as I had a nice piece of salmon for dinner, maybe I was wishing for fish.... :)

Just goes to show, sometimes wishes do come true! :-)

Take Care - Norm x
You never heard your parents or older cousins play the simple card game " Go Fish"? Is that just an east coast tradition?

When you don't get the card you "wish" (ask) for the other player says " Go Fish! " meaning go fish for it from the pile of cards spilled out all over the table. And when you then turn over a card you can use to make a pair in your hand, you successfully "fished your wish" and you get another turn.

In my family whenever something goes our way that we didn't anticipate or ever expect would happen we always say, " Well, I guess I fished my wish!" Like when I got my father retested by the DMV last year. I didn't have to be the bad guy and yank his license myself ( though I was a nanosecond away from doing it). So DMV did it for me and I "fished my wish" on having someone else be the one to actually take his license away so my dad wouldn't blame me. ( not that it matters, I was going to take it away and make the roads safe again for humanity anyway.)

Capeesh?

Thea
Ahhhh, all becomes clear, Grasshopper.... :)

Being from Even Further East (Liverpool, UK), that's not a game we played.... as a poor family, we couldn't afford playing cards. In the Winter, we'd all huddle around a candle... and when it got REALLY cold, sometimes my Dad would light it. :-)

Glad to see you're waging your own, personal War on Fear by making the streets safe over there. Do you have your own spesh Super-Heroine outfit? ("AlopeciaGirl" sounds about right...)

"Capeesh"... isn't that the new posh coffee from Starbuck's??

Norm
I like this very much Mary .... thank you
Having hair is useful in attracting mates.

Just saying.
I've been saying this for many years.
Hi Mary wow I love this theory, it makes so much sense, I recently been reading a lot on evolution and I saw the picture of a friends daughter that haves alopecia and it got me thinking about how as humans at one point we need to keep evolving like we alway had. And who knows maybe humans with different traits like alopecia and other may have the answers for the future

Thank you

Rafael

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service