I am 22 years old and I just found out that I have alopecia areata. I found my first patch in early October and it stayed the same up until about a week ago. It grew an inch in diameter and I also found a second spot about the size of a quarter. Luckily I have long, thick hair so I can hide my spots. But I don't know for how long. I am really down about the whole thing and couldn't really use some hope. Are there any of you with success stories or advice? Please and thank you

Views: 20848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, and I hope you are doing well.

Thanks for sharing your story!  I am encouraged

I'm happy my story helped.

Stay encouraged, stay hopeful, stay positive....

Yay! How long now have you had this new hair back in??? I'm so hopeful after reading your story Helen of Troy!

New hair has been growing since about February of this year. And it just keeps growing.

Stay hopeful, hang in there!

Hi Kim.. have you ever had bald spots prior to losing all your hair?

I started losing my hair  on Feb. 14.  It came back with  treatment. Then  on July 10th all my hair   came out.  On Sept 10th  all my eyebrows and eyelashes came out.  It changed my whole life.  I was engaged to be married but now it will not happen.  No hair is now left on my body.  

If I we're you, I would try squaric acid which is a topical treatment. It is the most effective treatment to date for alopecia areata and has very little side effects. Do some research and then consult a dermatologist who specializes with this kind of treatment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Solomon

It's worth trying due to few side effects. For me things like rogaine etc wouldn't work since for many I would also look into you own BODY. Unfortunately docs are hard or impossible to convince for most tests. I know poor circulation is a culprit, which means topical won't work on people like me. But that's just ONE example. At 22 I'd say look into a lot of possible solutions and I bet at 22 the chance of recovering is far, far better than most, esp. those whose hair has gone dead and not just dormant temporarily. So you may very well end up among the lucky and in my case the bald spot just means not to wear my hair pulled back ever.

Hi, i have alopecia areata for about 6 years, it's start like you a little over there, them a little on the other side, them i start to stress out more and more that my hair fell almost all, i'm still bald right now, but my hair start to grow a few months ago. I do my medication a long time, do everything you can imagine. But you know what really helps me, it's my atitude to the disease, i now accepted that i have it, i don't stress with the life, people or problems, when they came i solve it and move on. If your alopecia is about stress, try to calm down unfortunaly we can control everything that's happen in our lifes, so accepts that and specially accepts the disease, there are people with diseases more dangerous that ours. I know it's hard really hard, but try and of course do the medication. I hope you get better
Stay away from western medicine for alopecia. The only success I've had is with finding a highly reputable acupuncturist that specializes in traditional Chinese medicine. It's not an overnight fix, and requires consistently going every week for months, but it is the only approach that treats the cause and not the symptoms. I had alopecia for 10 years without any regrowth until I started getting acupuncture from an old school Chinese lady. Now my hair has been slowly and consistently growing back ever since.

Eric, please talk about this some more. Is it traditional acupuncture that you are getting? Are the needles applied directly to the spots or your entire head? Or somewhere else? How much hair have you grown back using this treatment?

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service