I am 22 years old and I just found out that I have alopecia areata. I found my first patch in early October and it stayed the same up until about a week ago. It grew an inch in diameter and I also found a second spot about the size of a quarter. Luckily I have long, thick hair so I can hide my spots. But I don't know for how long. I am really down about the whole thing and couldn't really use some hope. Are there any of you with success stories or advice? Please and thank you

Views: 20861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Amanda and I'm 22 and have alopecia universalis. I have no hair anywhere on my body. It's hard. Especially being as young as I am I have tough days where I don't even want to get out of bed. If you have any questions feel free to ask me anything. I'm very open to talking about it. Thanks

It's amazing how our hair is so important to us. We don't realize just how much until it's gone. Figuring out how we're going to deal with it is as stressful as the loss itself. We have to learn how we're going to accept it, because for most of us, it may never come back. But, keeping the hope is important. Staying positive is so important. You're beauty is not defined by your external characteristics. Amanda, I guarantee there is beauty both inside and outside that you don't see when you are worried only about the outside. Yes, it's hard, but don't ever let it keep you from living your life. If you're not comfortable going out in public bald (I'm not... yet!), wear a wig, or hats... whatever, just live! You have a full life ahead of you. I would say "Good luck" to you, but it's not luck that you want or need, it's fortitude, confidence, and acceptance. We all have those things in us, but it takes some of us longer to realize them. Stand tall and proud. You are you, with or without hair.

Hi!
I was diagnosed with alopecia areata mid July 2016. I am 25 years old. I had three spots on my head and it progressively gotten worse in 3 week after being diagnosed. It ended up connecting on the crown of head and It was noticeable if my hair was down so I always had it up. I saw dermatologist and had 1 round of injections in September. I was also given rogaine for women, clobestasol foam, 5000 units of vitamin d for 6 weeks (one pill a week) and I took vitamin C and Biotin religiously. I was suppose to go get my second round of injections November 8th and my derm told me there was so much hair growth that it was unnecessary. She released me and I don't have any follow up appointments with her. I can finally say my hair has grown a whole lot, still thin but not noticeable. My derm thinks it was because of my low vitamin d. Get that checked out! I hope this gives you a little hope. I know it's hard but what helped me cope was friends and family. I even bought a wig for "just in case." Don't be so hard on yourself, it will come back!

sheesh you are lucky because I went to my doc and kept begging her to test my thyroid,   vit.  D.,   etc....I mean hair is indicative of overall health.  She was an idiot  (I went to nursing  school so I do know a bit about this subject)   and  it still pisses me off.   I even considered ordering a certain birth control,  Diane 35,  the stronger rogaine,   and metformin and one other (spironolactone)   from India online,   but was a bit scared of that.   Now it is RIDICULOUS that I had to even consider that.   Ugh.  Meanwhile the b.c.  she prescribed (she seemed to have some monetary investment in it too)   could have given a person with migraines like me a STROKE.   I no longer trust most docs.   I am looking for a new one but really hate going now.

Hi Kailyn

I have recently posted my story with alopecia. In my case I think the most important was to find out what was triggering it: stress!       in my first case with alopecia I had one spot, than 2, 5, 8... and then I lost all hair, I had shaved long before since we have to face the facts and nowadays shaved head its looks pretty good :D  so I didnt sweat about it. 

The second time alopecia broke in, again ultra stessed (going through a really bad divorce) but now I know some techniques to relax, to not go to a dark place and try to deal with things, I have one spot that grew quite large but still not large enough to be visible through all my hair.

Treatment: Since episode 1 I was very lucky with the doctor I had and, at least with me, medication really really helps.     I use protopic, its a cream that I put on every evening in the bald spots, duration of treatment is about 4 to 6 months and it really works just have to be patience and not stress with whatever crap is taking place in life!

I wish you all the best, dont stress too much, think that "its only hair" and could be a good time for a new look :)      

great tips and so true,   hair is reflective of what is going on in the body.   I honestly don't get why a doctor WOULDN'T  pay attention to sudden changes like hair loss,   esp.  in women.   Interesting as I had not heard of or don't remember ever hearing of protopic.   Going to go check out what it is.   And hell yeah to the patience suggestion,   in fact I keep reminding myself of that.   But my spot never did grow back and it is sad.   The rest I think recovered although it's scary to think I was so ill that someone who has no baldness in her family had this happen.   Even my 70 year old dad still has a full head of hair.

Yes! I was first diagnosed with areata at age 42. Same as you a few spots, also have thick wavy hair. But they were growing larger and more showing up.

I was very lucky to have success with steroid shots (they were not as painful as it sounds). I went in for a series of shots and had a second occurrence. I have not had another occurrence in over three years. Lucky to have health insurance that covered the procedure and a wonderful dermatologist who fit me in.quickly when the second round happened.  

I hope you have looked into this option. 

Hang in there, I'm hoping for the best. 

Aimee

I first noticed AA two years ago, I didn't think anything of it at the time. Then more and more hair fell out and it became a problem. I eventually started to shave my head bald. After going to the dermatologist and the only options being steroids, i decided to do some searching. I ended up going on a Paleo diet. I have 100% regrowth now. Just waiting for the pigment to return to the hair that is still peach fuzz. I changed my diet 100%, I ended up following the diet about 90% of the time. I had to live and go out with friends also. It was a blessing in disguise, because now i feel way better and have alot more energy. It gave me a whole new outlook on life. Don't get down you need to stay positive and and upbeat. Things will change if you put in the effort :) 

I used to be able to get my hair to grow back by having shots in my scalp.  

They only hurt for a minute and then leave you with nice tingling sensations on your head.    

After the first time of getting these shots, I went on a vacation and within days, I found that my hair had grown back as if it was never gone.  On future occasions, I was forced to return to places where I was being abused and so the shots were a waste of money.  

After several years, they shots did not work anymore but I don't think this would be the case with every single patient that gets them. 

Same for me. I did the shots for, I think it was 7 years. They worked great at first for the initial small bald spots. The hair grew back full and more normal (dark) hair color. After a while (couple of years), the hair growing back was white and not the same texture as my normal hair. This is very "normal" I understand. Once you get to this point, you may not get the pigment back in your hair. Also, after a while the skin begins to atrophy. You may experience thinness and indentations where the shots have been applied for a long period of time. This can be reversed by stopping the treatments. I eventually (several years) stopped the shots as they just were not effective anymore. Once I stopped them, the hair began falling out fast. Within the year, 3/4 of my hair was gone.

Personally, I do not recommend the shots. They are just a temporary fix, and eventually they won't be effective and when you stop them, your hair will probably go faster. 

wow I did wonder about this as everyone in the medical industry knows how bad long term steroids are for the body!    People do say the shots work,   but they all seem to have bad long term consequences.   Even rogaine and latisse have been shown to have aging side effects.   It has to do with lysine and a few other chemicals that are targeted   (I would have to go back and re-study my notes to explain it better.)   Like everything else,   it is best to find the SOURCE of the balding.   I really do believe it lies far beneath the surface of the skin for most.    Thank you for your description.

Hi sorry to ear of your hair loss
I remained patient and what helped me is to think that 'it's only hair'
Things could be worse. I haven't lost a limb!
Anyway from patches to completely shiny baldness and no eyebrows eyelash and bodily hair! I remained positive as far as I could.
This is what I tried, it's all natural and no side effects, as far as I'm aware
1) 7 black seeds (onion seeds/ kalonji: khaki zeera) three a day mixed with
2) 1 teaspoon of Manuka honey in warm water (previously boiled)
And this was an extra
3)Hijama (cupping) gets ready of toxins in body
Exactly a year ago after trying treatments I started to get a few strands here and there. Maybe no more than 50!
I persevered
Now, by the Blessings of God, I have a full head of hair bar two tiny spots and all my eyebrows and eyelashes! All praise be to God.
I haven't had a haircut yet even though the hair is of different lengths. And doesn't look neat! Luckily, I wear a scarf outdoors so I don't worry too much!
Best of luck
Pm me if you want more info
X

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service