I've read of a few ladies (who actually already have hair, no alopecia) who have enjoyed wearing wigs more than their natural hair.

One person said she liked wigs more because her real hair was thin - she actually managed to pass hers off and received a lot of compliments on her wig!

Another who had a synthetic wig said it was easier to maintain because as someone who traveled a lot, she had no need to carry around so many styling products and heating tools. She also could show up everyday with "perfect" hair (no bad hair days at all).

The last one wore wigs to protect her real hair.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has come to like wearing them, even preferring it? I know wigs can sometimes feel itchy, hot, and so on but as someone very new to all of this, I'm trying to look on the brighter side. I've been looking at a lot of wigs online and they look absolutely gorgeous, though I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here :p

Fake eyelashes of course look way better than my natural lashes (yes, including the ones I had before alopecia). I think Ardell 109 or 110 look the most natural. Eyebrow wigs seem interesting but I haven't played around with those yet.

Overall I'm just curious how everyone's experience has been.

Thank you for your time :)

Views: 1725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand wanting to feel beautiful again. May I ask how much you pay around for your HH wig? And whether you're open to others about your baldness?

I went to a support group where a doctor that spoke there suggested that we openly tell people that we have alopecia and to just stick with synthetic hair since HH is expensive and more high maintenance. However, circumstances in my life make that really difficult. I, too, really need to look presentable to others and seem "passable." In your photos, I think your wig looks amazingly realistic. Can anyone tell in real life? As for wind, I have heard of methods such as bonding but I don't really know too much about it.

Thank you for letting me know how much it costs. I've seen HH wigs range anywhere from hundreds to even $8000. Oh gosh, that's a really close one at the PTA conference! Bonding does seem to irritate some people's skin. What method are you using to keep it on? I'm surprised to hear that wind can get under the hairline.. hm, didn't know that could happen.

I have decided to talk about my problem openly.  It is an "illness" we did not ask for, who would want to suffer from alopecia?

I also find it easy to mention that I am wearing a wig, although it has only been 10 days now. I do not feel a fake and should my wig "move", I may not feel to silly.

Thank you so much for this forum!

I'm still so new to alopecia that I don't know if I can be super open about it with everyone.. I admire those that can rock it since it seems so freeing to just switch around wigs whenever you're bored instead of the same one to appear normal.

Yes, thank goodness for this forum! <3

Love wigs because I get a choice of coordinating the style of my hair with the style of my outfit. I have much more freedom of expression with my hair than I ever did when I had hair which is a really cool benefit. It took me a few years to enjoy wearing wigs because I was wearing itchy, hot, heavy ones and the idea of fake hair was way too weird but I found some stores who sell really light and soft wigs on the scalp and I also learned it's good to sew silk into the cap of the wig. so soft and wonderful! Also so many people, hairy or not, wear wigs.

I like going bald too but only when I feel comfortable with it (like 15% of the time). I also like wearing hats or scarves like 25% of the time. All in all I love that I enjoy wigs now because I have a choice (well, many).

Yes, the choices is another great bonus :) I think you look lovely as well with a bald head though.

I think it's like anything when you have a choice in life; it's more enjoyable when you have a choice. When it's something you HAVE to do, nope - not so much. I'm not someone who looks good bald, so I have to wear a wig. I try not to change styles too much because I don't want to invite questions or have somebody reach for my hair, etc. Although as an African American, I think most people nowadays know that you ***never*** ask a Black person, male or female, if you can touch their hair. However, within the community, I find that we tend to be way too nosey, with people asking you, "is that your hair?". I mean, I don't up to you and ask you if your boobs are real, so leave my hair alone, thank you! Plus there are people in the African American community who are vilifying women who wear weaves and wigs as a way of "selling out" or not being proud of our history. I want to say, "listen; did you ever think that maybe the reason WHY she's wearing a weave or a wig is because she has Alopecia? And who the hell are you to judge her commitment or lack thereof of her heritage because her hair comes in wefts? Nobody made you Grand PooBah of ethnic pride."

SO, for me it's not an issue of enjoying wearing wigs or not. It's something I have to do, like brushing my teeth and taking a shower. :)

That's a good point. There are definitely struggles in wearing wigs but if it comes to that for me, then I wanted to do my best to look on the bright side. I've had people touch my hair without permission before but they were kids (I was a teacher).

It is incredibly rude to ask someone whether something is fake.. I've experienced that before with many silly things. Unbelievable the invasive questions I've had throughout my life be it the way I look, my family history, my relationships - ick. Some people in general are just really nosey and love to gossip. Do your best to avoid these people. I'm sorry that the AA community is vilifying women who wear weaves/wigs as "selling out." I think people should do what makes themselves happy (as long as it doesn't hurt others). It's not always about wanting to look white but rather just feeling feminine and/or beautiful. 

I started imagining whether I could stand having a wig on 24/7 (meaning I'd be sleeping in it).

I've only been wearing a wig for about a month as my hair feel out pretty quickly in the month before that, and its really weird to get used to... I very rarely wear it at home because its still a sensation I'm not used to - I don't find my wig uncomfortable as such but it still feels weird. I'd say I have a love/hate relationship with my wigs. I hate that I have to wear them, but I love that they are very realistic and a good match to how my own hair looked.

The only trouble for me is that my own hair was so well behaved and took very little effort to style I never learned how to blow dry my hair because I didn't have to! My wig is a little harder to style as its HH and dries pretty wavy. I send it off to my hairdresser every few weeks though to style which is a huge help - he's great! Also tend to get one styled straight and one curled too so I always have options.

I suppose, like with any big change, it takes some time to get used to. I'm glad to hear that they look very realistic on you though. Looking natural is one of my top concerns. Youtube should have some nice hair tutorials if you're ever interested! Hmm, maybe I should look for a wig hair stylist at one point..

I started wearing a wig almost a week ago, find it a bit strange and am aware of it all the time.

Do hope that I will get  used to it and be able to say that I prefer the wig to my own hair.

I can only imagine with time in experimenting with different brands, techniques, etc. that wigs will become easier to handle. I wish you the best.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service