I've read of a few ladies (who actually already have hair, no alopecia) who have enjoyed wearing wigs more than their natural hair.

One person said she liked wigs more because her real hair was thin - she actually managed to pass hers off and received a lot of compliments on her wig!

Another who had a synthetic wig said it was easier to maintain because as someone who traveled a lot, she had no need to carry around so many styling products and heating tools. She also could show up everyday with "perfect" hair (no bad hair days at all).

The last one wore wigs to protect her real hair.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has come to like wearing them, even preferring it? I know wigs can sometimes feel itchy, hot, and so on but as someone very new to all of this, I'm trying to look on the brighter side. I've been looking at a lot of wigs online and they look absolutely gorgeous, though I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here :p

Fake eyelashes of course look way better than my natural lashes (yes, including the ones I had before alopecia). I think Ardell 109 or 110 look the most natural. Eyebrow wigs seem interesting but I haven't played around with those yet.

Overall I'm just curious how everyone's experience has been.

Thank you for your time :)

Views: 1725

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes and no. Im young... 19 and feel like my life depends on it. I just cant imagine myself without it but then again, i wish i can ya know? It does keep me from a lot of things tho

Yeah, I wish none of us have to go through this. I wish alopecia didn't even exist in the first place :p What does wearing a wig keep you from doing though?

This thread has turned into way more than who likes wearing wigs! So interesting. I wore synthetic wigs for 40 years, until I finally went to a FREEDOM HH piece. While the synthetics made travel easy, and made me look perfect everyday---I still looked like I wore a wig. I got to the point I did not care as my close friends and family knew and it just wasn't an issue. Never did I get where I LIKED it though. When I look back on all the photos of me with the fake hair, it LOOKS FAKE. Only when I spent the big bucks and went to the best human hair and piece out there did I feel like I looked normal; that nobody was guessing; that photos of me showed me blending in.  I would never prefer a wig. I would always prefer my growth hair, given the option. I am now 57 and get compliments on my hair all the time. I even had it thinned three times to make it look less perfect; more like other 57 year olds hair looked. I really like to fit in!  Having said that, I have just purchased a NEW TO ME human hair wig, with a breathable base, for an awesome price. Custom made. I don't have it yet, but when I do, you shall all hear what I think. I really should be a professional wig tester! I have so much experience and a very high radar and a critical eye. 

I like my barely there natural eyelashes; would never go to false eyelashes. too much work and everyone knows they are fake. I hate looking FAKE anything.

Cheers to all of you who like wearing your wigs. 

I can't say I wear wigs - but I like to think it could be fun. Kind of like Samantha in Sex in the City when she gets cancer and just wears a variety of crazy wigs and embraces the hair loss. I'm thinking of shaving (I have androgenetic alopecia and am very thin on top and front) and wearing wigs or at least a top piece. 

It's such a pain in the mornings now since I have to shower or else my cowlicks and residual Rogaine will make my hair completely unmanageable and I have to wash it to submission. With a wig, it would save me time and look decent without much work :) My only fear is that it would be uncomfortable and hot (I live in Texas). 

Also - I found this post which may be promising to hear: http://www.alopeciaworld.com/forum/topics/my-first-shave ;

I love the look of wigs but I can't stand them after a while. It feels like tiny ants crawling up and down your head. Maybe it's the humidity in Durban that makes them cling and itch.I prefer a scarf or sun hat for everyday use.

Have you tried wearing a wig cap? You can also use a knee-high stocking as a substitute. That may help. Do you wear full lace wigs, or lace front wigs?

I think its about finding what's right for you cause some people aren't wearing wigs or weaves and their hair looks horrible. I've worn lace front and people thought it was my hair. I wear wigs and they think i went and got a weave done like http://hairstylezz.com/best-strawberry-blond-hair-color/7/. Go on YouTube look up some hair reviewers who know what their doing. Muffinsmylover is one of my favorite. I wear them now due to alopecia not caused by weaves.

Personally I despise wigs and hate not having hair even more. I've spent ton of money and never met a wig I liked. It's different experience when your choosing to wear one and your hair is fine. Another when it's a must. In my world hair is. I'm seeking alternative.  I'm not cut out to suffer in a hot, itchy, wig. Hate them... 

Dianna, I so agree. I would give anything to have my own growth hair and while good quality human hair  wigs make having alopecia bearable, they don't make wig wearing a good experience.

Having said that, after YEARS of trying hundreds of wigs, I believe I have finally found the best solution.  First, let me say I own two FREEDOM pieces which are the best in so many ways EXCEPT the price and the hot factor. So I just received and have been wearing my first human hair cuticle intact (**TANGLE FREE**) custom made wig for $840. I got 16 inches but had much of it cut off as it was too long. I was so so sure this wig was going to be too good to be true. I refused to get excited about it as I've been through SO MANY. But this one is wonderful! No itch, no hot, no tangles... I ordered it from a new company who makes the wigs in China. The manufacturer is in China; The lady you order from is in California. Her daughter has alopecia and she knows what we need and what makes a wig GOOD.

Call her! Lisa Dutra in California  Phone:   310 291 0729. 

Wow a wig with no itch, comfortable and not hot. Why what makes this wig different from any other? Especially since anything I've ever come across from China has been of very low quality.

It sounds wonderful!

Yes almost too good to be true

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service