When you meet someone, should you tell them  right away you have alopecia or wait?

Views: 1326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not that brave

I am mostly out that I wear wigs. I wear a different one all the time, sometimes changing several times a day. When I meet new people, I always tell them that I wear wigs because the next time they see me I will likely have a different one on. Total strangers compliment my hair and I tell them that it is a wig. I do this because I want to raise awareness that wig wearing is a beautiful option that anyone should consider. Most people cannot believe that I am wearing a wig and marvel how natural, yada yada. I remind how they are all over Hollywood, etc. All that said, I haven't dated in forever and am about to. I am going to be up front and say that I wear wigs and include a couple of my favorites as profile pics. Am I nervous about that? You bet LOL. Alopecia sucks. You know what, though? I had cancer and lost my hair. And then I had another life threatening disease during which I lost the rest of it and I just have to say that I LIVED. I lived and I just can't kill myself over hair. I mean, I really did almost die, so I'd love to have it back, but it's not all that I am and I truly am having a fun time having beautiful and/or elaborate hairstyles that my real hair never would have done. Or maybe it would have done it but it would have taken me a lot of effort. The wigs are almost effortless. And hair is not the end of my world.

Thank you:-)
100% agreed

I've only had 2 relationships since my husband passed away 3 years ago and I told both guys that I had alopecia, but I waited until I felt like the timing was right. Both of them had absolutely no objection to my not having any hair and I am now engaged. I guess I was just lucky to have met two guys who loved me for me and not for my hair. I still say if a guy rejects you for this reason, he's a complete jerk and you don't need him in your life anyway.

Yes, Ktownnana is our Miracle Girl! Listen to her...she is the hope all you daters need.

:-)
U give me confidence. Thank you<3

One of the lines on my dating profile is "I wear wigs, get over it". Hasn't stopped me going on dates, etc.

If people are shitty enough to judge you by a medical condition, they're not even worth having in your life.

Good one...

You should tell them right away. Because if they can't handle it they will leave, yes it may be hard being rejected because of it. But isnt it better to find out sooner rather than later. Because it will only hurt more later on.

Ok. I created my profile this morning and in the first line of my profile was: How many girlfriends will your neighbors think you have? Yes I know it's corny, but we're dealing with a touchy situation here aren't we? Then I said that I love wearing wigs and wear different ones every day. Then I posted pics with about 6 of my favorite wigs. In less than 24 hours I already have 5 emails, 2 flirt kind of things, 3 favorites. Who knows where any of it will go, but I just wanted to share my approach and how it's gone over so far. I think some guys are just so visual that if you look good enough, wig or not, you look good. I mean how many people with hair wear hair extensions and have silicone breasts, etc. Ok, so I didn't say HI I HAVE ALOPECIA, but I am out about the wig thing, I won't be nervous that someone can tell and I have paved the way for "the talk." I just assume men have to at least have it enter their mind that if you wear wigs every day that you might have to. Feedback to this approach is always appreciated guys. Wish me luck, I haven't dated in a long time!

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service