It's my understanding that there's no "cure" for alopecia, but I'm still interested in learning about the varying degrees of success alopecians have had with the various treatments that are offered. Therefore, if you have alopecia and have had any luck whatsoever with a treatment, please share your story here. Be sure to say whether your regrowth was temporary, permanent, partial, or full, and whether you experienced any pain or other negative side effects as result of the treatment.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm only interested in hearing from people who have actually struggled with alopecia and NOT the companies, organizations, and individuals offering treatments and cures.

Views: 11774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have AU..lost all of my hair over the last 2 years (I'm 51). Started with cortisone cream....then shots....then Rogain....the just stopped 4 months of DPCP treatment. Nothing has worked. This is what you need to know.. Alopecia in what ever its form (Alopecia Universalis is the most severe of the disease) is unpredictable. It is an autoimmune disease meaning our immune system is attacking the hair follicles thinking its a foreign object. The reality is some of these treatment work for some and some don't work at all. Regrowth and flares can happen at any point. There is no cure and it is UNCLEAR what actually triggers or causes the flares. It is NOT as simple as 'stress causes these flares'.

I do think that having a family doctor and a dermatologist that you trust is a key for treatment. Be careful of treatments that lack and evidence based research.

Good luck!!

hi father of an 11 yr old girl lost all hair at 7 been in a DCP program, took about two yrs for full regrowth,has had no hair loss since and like alot of people in this situation always weary about future.The way it works "as explained to me" is a slight reaction to scalp and immune system retreats from scalp and allows hair to grow.Just a side note Im told this is offered here in Canada but not in U.S.A, As you know hair roots are always present but attacked constantly so what this does is gives the scalp an alergic reaction thus immune system retreats and hair grows this is also covered under medical plan and the best is I apply it myself where i was going to clinic evry week for a year. whats great istheirs alot of research lately as any findings with alopecia is a gateway maybe to other immune disorders.

just proofed read this im talking about my daughter any questions just ask

Hi Tony,

I have been going to Sunnybrook in Toronto for DPCP treatments....I would consider continuing if I had an option to apply at home ( I have an hour drive). How are you able to access to apply at home?

Hello Tony
Our stories sound similar. I am in the US and daughter is using DPCP with success. 70% regrowth in 7 months on the scalp. apply at home twice a week. Dr used a progressive concentrations, increasing over last 7 months, starting at .001%, then .002%, now up to .004%. No real negative side effects to date. Dr apts covered under insurance, but not the prescription's costs. (see my post under Carolyn)

Couple of questions of interest if you don't mind. Was low vitamin D a factor, or stress/anxiety? Leading up to and during initial hair loss... my daughters scalp felt "squishy" as if swollen or fluid under the skin like she was having an allergic reaction. I noticed as that decreased (Allegra 180mg)...hair is regrowing. I am always searching for underlying symptoms or causes in order to ensure my daughter's chances of a sustained recovery.

So glad to hear your successes!
Carolyn

I was diagnosed with AA at three, about 41 years ago, after a severe burn. I am wondering, does anyone else have a triggering moment?
Anyway, at the time, they didn't inject kids, and used a horrible itchy (probably anthrallin) cream, which was painful, and nasty, I slept with an ugly purple shower cap every night, and couldn't wash my scalp for a week at a time. My hair eventually came and went. And came and went. When I was 16, I was allowed to get kenalog injections, which, when used aggressively, worked great. Hair, real, thick, full hair, for years at a time. Great doctors. Since the doctor who treated me retired, I have not found anyone to treat it so aggressively (every 4 weeks, not 6, with atrophy, and 2 to 3 follow ups, with injections, are what works for me, but good luck telling a doctor what to do; this is the tenth? eleventh? doctor I've tried in that many years) and have not had full regrowth since. They've tried any cream, from anthrallin to herpes cream (DON'T leave that in your cabinet when you're dating, by the way; you can try to explain, but ... it doesn't work, anyway), and they haven't worked. I have now been started on oral prednisone, for life, so far, and have most of my eyelashes back, 22 eyebrow hairs (but who's counting?), and less hair in the drain. I have also gained 8 pounds and right now want another cookie. My feeling is that serious, aggressive treatment is the best solution for me. I would like to get the injections while on the oral prednisone, as I think that would stimulate full growth, but what do I know? I also think that antianxiety medication would help with the stress, but that seems to be another area the doctors don't want to look at, prevention of the stress that may or may not trigger a cycle. And while I'm blathering on, did I overlook the reason for your interest, Jera? Are you an alopeciac, or just curious? I'm still learning how to use the site and may have missed that part.

Loved your post, you're funny :)

Thank you, Dean. Good luck with your daughter. Being a little girl with hair loss is really hard. I think it's great that you're here for her.
muje almost 3 saal se ye AU prob. hai....
injections , tube lgana , 20,000 de k richfeel clinic ka treatment , oral medicine , 6 mahina aayurvedic medicine.. sab kuch kr chuki hun.....3 saal me bich me ek baar hair aaye n vapas chale bhi gaye. pichle ek saal se hair nahi hai. sab kuch try kiya ab kuch nahi krna......

Hi Jera, since 30 years I am struggling with alopecia areata, universalis, totalis etc. Always comes and goes. I do live without any hair again now since 5 years. Might come back again. Never know what nature does. But I remember having had areata for a period of 10 years. First of these years I was using some creme that "damages" the skin where there is no hair. So the immune system concentrats on this and not the hair. But it didnt help much. Later on I tried some pill called "Dapson" The worked, I got hair even on the body. But the medication was heavy and I finally decided to let nature do work or not at all. And I feel confident with it.

Hi Jera,
I lost all my hair last year starting in March I think it was caused by stress although I do have allergies and exzema I started with a spry clobetasol which derm recommended that do not work so then I had the shots andd they worked all my hair grew back and so far none has fallen out again . Before this happened I was taking an antidepressant I went off the drug because I felt I did not need it , I had a lot of things happening I moved , family issues I think it was the anxiety I was dealing with that caused it . I know what you are going thru think positive and stay strong !!!
Lacey

My daughter has alopecia areata. During one episode of hair loss, she lost most of her eyelashes. After a 10 months they had not grown back, so we asked for help. The dermatologist at Boston Children's had her use a topical ointment called Mometasone Furoate. She applied it directly to the lash line once a day. After three months, there was a significant grow back.

I have tried it all, rogane, steroid injections, topical creams and smelly shampoos. The last bit of advice that was given to me by a doctor was vitamins H it can be found a brewers yeast pill. I found them by some miracle took them and my hair grew back for about a year and them fell out again. The only other time I've seen any big amounts of regrowth is when I'm pregnant. Oh and I tried DPCP a few years ago and I choose to stop due to headaches.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service