Hi Everyone, I had something happen yesterday at work that shook me up. I was standing at the desk, getting report from the person going off shift, there were a lot of coworkers and just people all around, one of the other workers from a differentt department (I had seen her but didn't know her) who was standing behind me reached up and scrunched the back of my hair a few times. I have Ophiasis pattern, so have no hair underneath, and because I've been losing in spots above, I'm pretty self-concious right now, my reaction was horror! Because quite a few people I work with know of my condition, I was able to ask one of them to step into a room and check my hair. I'm happy that my hair is not noticable I work really hard to style it and lots of hair spray to keep it covered. I actually teared up, and was thankful for the coworkers who gave me hugs and got me through, so glad I work in a hospital, a bit more compassion there I think. anyways, I spoke with the person who did it and appologized for my reaction, and explained to her that I have Alopecia Areata, I asked her if she knew what that was and she said "I think so" I told her its medical hair loss. I guess that I'm thankful that I was able to pull myself together, I know it may have sounded like a overreaction, but so far I've had struggles with the wind, and covering, glad I'm going a good job of it. I guess that I have lost so much this time and feeling like it's a losing battle right now. Has anyone else had a similar experience? How did you handle it?

Views: 909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

awe, well, doing the whole buzzcut is way better than dealing with the disease. its just a bummer they can't find a cure or nice treatment now,,, which i think they are getting somewhere by finding its linked to other autoimmune diseases... they are doing tests now until 2016 on this one,, maybe there will be a successful treatment , and i think ur hair is always able to grow back as good as ever if the signal is a go :) thanks for the reply christine...

Wow you reacted so well I would've freaked out if someone would just come up to me and scrunch my wig. Besides for the fact that it's rude and stepping on peoples privacy I also take time every morning before I go to work to make sure it looks just right. I was never in such a situation before but if I ever am /I hope I will have the strength to act as good as you did:)

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service