Hair loss on arms and legs an indicator of greater hair loss everywhere else?

Hi, my 10 year old son was diagnosed with AA six months ago. He has lost about half of the hair on his head but there seems no end in sight. I noticed that he has almost no hair on his arms and legs. I didn't really notice the hair before since his hair is blonde it wasn't noticeable but it is smooth as baby's skin now. I wonder if anyone has any insight into whether this means he will lose all his hair on his head, whether it is an indicator that he will lose his eyebrows and lashes? Just trying to prepare myself. Thanks. 

Views: 792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

only way to know for sure is with a biopsy.  Some people just don't have hair, or much hair on their arms or legs for different reasons.  With my daughter I know it is AA on her arms and legs because while at times she has no arm or leg hair, at other times she does have patchy arm and leg hair. 

It's good you are preparing yourself but don't be worry I am doing a project on it and soon I will post the useful reference that could help you and your son.

Hi. My 8 year old daughter lost all the hair on her arms and legs and about ~75+% on her scalp.  It has regrown about 80% on her legs, and is starting to regrow on her scalp (less so along the scalp edges).  I don't think anyone knows if your son will lose all the hair on his head, or his eyebrows and eyelashes based on him losing his arm and leg hair.  That wasn't the case with my daughter...yet.  On a positive note, there is some exciting news with Tofacitinib (Xeljanz), an oral medicine used to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis (and psoriasis), and it causing hair to grow back fully in a young man with psoriasis and AU (I think he was ~ 25 years old). Of course, this is only 1 person, but it will open the door to others using it in clinical trials, and give us a better idea on how effective it may be; in this one patient, there were no side effects.  It has been on the news (including CNN) and you can google it.  Down the road, they will probably come out with a topical form of this that with good luck will help also for children that may not be candidates for the oral form.  It is still early, but it does give hope.  I am optimistic that there will be a 'cure' as there are brilliant people working on tx/'cure'.  Let's just pray together.  Anyway, good luck to you.

I was researching online yesterday and suddenly I found a useful reference at a website I hope that it may be useful to you just have a look here.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service