I am strongly considering quitting my job because I'm finding it very difficult making the transition from having hair to not having any. I work in NY City, and unfortunately with a bunch of catty women. I have diffuse alopecia areata, and up until now, have been able to get away with my alopecia. I've tried wigs...not for me, and I have not quite figured out what avenue to take...shaving, scarf, hat etc. Well, anyway I don't want to be the talk of the office, or have to explain myself over and over. I think I would just break down and cry. I just want to come to terms with my alopecia on my own time. Just wondering if anyone has quit their job because of their alopecia?

Views: 5105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Jean88, no I'm not being bullied. I just know how these girls operate...passive aggressively. I've gone to wig places...they just aren't for me. I just want to take time off without the pressure of finding a new one for a little while. Thank you for your reply.

Heather, I did get a new job. The one i was in was partly causing the a a I still have it but I'm so much happier at my new job. People like me and are nice to me even though I'm still "ugly" as I see myself. They're nice because I'm always happy, do good work, and help people out a lot. It matters for you to be happy, so if you aren't at your job, find a new one! I felt so embarrassed interviewing, but amazingly it didn't matter one bit and I got hired! I've had a a for a little over a year and it's really changed me, but I feel a whole lot better than I did at first! Good luck.

Heather...I like to add that everyone on here understand your feelings! It is just some of us have learned to deal and accept our Alopecia situation. I feel everyone knows how it feels. Take some time to look for another job..! Respectfully, please know that you must come to terms with acceptance in your time or else you will feel the same way in your new job. We all support and wish the best for you. God bless:-)

Thank you South PAW.

P.S. I am currently wearing a wig on my pic.I had lots of practice and pretty good at picking them. If you would like tips personally. Please feel free to send me an email message and I can give you my phone number. Good night!

Sounds like you work with some people who you don't need in your life. May I ask how old you are?

44 why?

I'm 58, and the first round with Alopecia, I was 45. This time around, it just doesn't seem as big a deal, perhaps because I've been this road before. Of course I would love to be a young woman with zero wrinkles, but I have learned to separate the ego (I also gained weight and didn't want to go to anything, school reunions, et al) and enjoy life. Alopecia is a life altering thing, but don't let the mean girls get to you. They will all have their challenges, some life threatening. I "came out" on Facebook today, and there's been nothing but support. Now, I have to get past my ego and allow myself to live...really live. And that's what I intend to do. I wish that for you, too.

I get where your coming from, but have a feeling this is more to do with relationships than your actual alopecia. I can understand how very difficult this is...I've watched my daughter navigate these type of situations through her teens and now into her early twenties. Alopecia very much brings everything into sharp focus.

I would hate you to leave a position that you love...but if this isn't really where you want to be then maybe a rethink and move could be a real boost for you.

Good luck with everything...some great advise here.

Rosy

Hi Heather,

Iam new here to Alopecia World and I saw your post today and it really spoke to me. I also live in NYC and I have what appears to be what doctors have said is Alopecian Areata Diffusee and I have one distinct missing patch.( I also suffer scalp discomfort) I have been suffering with this the last few years. I am also at the point where it has become harder and harder to disguise the hairloss, and need to figure out what to do.
I can really relate to wanting to quit your job over it.....I work in the fashion industry and many of the girls (and guys) appear to be very superficial. The industry gives off a vibe that you have to be perfect, whether that's a reality or not.

I have fantasized leaving my job and sometimes that fantasy goes a little further and I think of moving away and starting a new life where no one knows me. Well, I know that's not practical at all. This is where I live, and this is my job.

I've been doing as much research on what my solution will be in the next few weeks and no later than a couple of months. Of course I'm not thrilled with any of the solutions, but I will have to choose one.

I don't think you should quit your job yet. You should definitely try the NAAF support group which meets in Manhattan once a month.

I would love to chat privately if you are interested. We sound like we are in similar situations. It might be nice to have the support!

Hi Sabrinaann, thanks for your input. Yeah, I have the pain and burning too. I've been to a NAAF meeting. It was just a group of people talking about their alopecia...well, I can do that here. I would love to chat with you.

Heather, in reading through all of these posts, it is hard to keep in mind who said what. But, I think you do not wish to wear a wig. Being in NYC it would seem that you would have an easier time of it all, being NYC so large and diverse culturally. And sooooo many wonderful wig shops to choose from. May I ask why you do not wish to wear a wig? I don't get it. But then, I don't get any woman wanting to go around bald either, but to each their own. Life is sometimes hard enough without making an extra effort to stand out in the crowd. I can thoroughly understand about your job. If you hate the job, Alopecia just gives you the final reason to be done with it, and move on, and while you are still young enough to make a change. At my age, not young enough to make a change. Who would hire me? No one. So I stay put and try to not make waves or stand out and have them talk about me. I guess you need to find your place in this world, and present yourself to the world however you feel most comfortable. It is not about other people, it is about YOU. Did you ever think this topic would just explode and take on a life of it's own the way it has? So many of us can relate. But also, so many of us have our own way of coping with Alopecia, work, and life in general. Be strong.

Just checked out your page. I see you live In Queens. I am orig. from CT.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service