Hello all, first time poster. I am curious if anyone else has had issues with progressive hearing loss and AA. I have read a lot of posts and some doctors state that the type of cells in the hair follicles and the hair in your inner ear (cilia or stereocilia) are completely different so it is not possible. BUT I have also read from some people on here that they experience ringing in the ears (tinnitus). I am just curious if any of those people have also got a hearing check and if they have been diagnosed with a loss of hearing; mainly on the high frequency.  I have come across a few scientific studies published that have showed a correlation but it seems this theory is not widely accepted in the medical fields.

A little background: I have AAP. Been dealing with my condition for over 30yrs. I had a full head of hair until I was 4yo then I lost it all at once, in a period of a couple months. I had AT for the next 3-4yrs then my hair started to come back but I have always had AAP since. I have been shaving my head since I was 20yo to cope. Now at 35yo seems like it is getting worse...lost one of my eyebrows recently. When I was around 17yo I started to notice ringing in my ears. By 22yo I went to an audiologist and found that I had some significant hearing loss for my age, in the high frequencies. They wanted me to see an ENT, I went to one and they did an MRI and couldn't find anything wrong with the auditory nerve. Over the next 12-13yrs my hearing has gotten worse (based on multiple hearing tests throughout that timeframe.)

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Robert

Views: 3211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! I know this is a little late for a comment but I cannot believe I never even thought of hair loss contributing to my ears! I was told I have Eustacian Tube Disorder. THERE ARE TINY HAIRS IN THERE!!! Of course this makes sense now!!!
I do find Lipoflavonoid helps. It increases circulation to the tubes. I buy a big container from Walmart.
Thanks for the discussion I really am glad to know why i have such problems with my ears now!

I had 2 episodes of AA.....first when I was 11, second in my late 30's......The second one lasted for about 5 years old and a dermatologist ordered some type of manipulated medicine that contained rosemary oil  on it and some other chemicals....It solved the problem within a month.....good....

I am on my 50's now and 3 years ago I lost almost all of my hearing on my right ear suddenly...It only toke 2 seconds after I had this weird buzzing on both of my ears....It toke me  5 days to look over for help and the doctor said that probably was already too late and she would prescribe me Prednisone anyway (highest dosage).....It didn't work !!!

Last month, traveling somewhere overseas I met a Doctor that told me that all of these health misfortunes happened because of my shingles  that are knocking the door because I was infected when I had chicken pox when I was 6 years old. Only 20 percent of the people infected with the Varicella virus will develop some type of disease after they reach adulthood......Alopecia Areata and hearing loss included.

So......here I am posting some words that might help some of you.

I was diagnosed with hearing loss in the upper registers a couple of years ago. The ENT says this loss was more than it should be for my age. The test was repeated a year later and the hearing loss hadn't progressed. All this was a year before I experienced any hair loss but I have been having other health issues (was diagnosed with polyneuropathy two years ago also) for several years now so I can't help but suspect there's a relationship between them all. Several doctors have also told me they believe I'm dealing with some autoimmune condition that they can't pinpoint with current medical technology.

I was diagnosed with hearing loss in the upper registers a couple of years ago. The ENT says this loss was more than it should be for my age. The test was repeated a year later and the hearing loss hadn't progressed. All this was a year before I experienced any hair loss but I have been having other health issues (was diagnosed with polyneuropathy two years ago also) for several years now so I can't help but suspect there's a relationship between them all. Several doctors have also told me they believe I'm dealing with some autoimmune condition that they can't pinpoint with current medical technology.

Several ways to help you re-listen to the world

1. Pay attention to kidney health care
Chinese medicine studies have shown that the kidneys are open to the ear. This also proves that hearing loss and injury have a direct relationship with the kidney, so to restore hearing, we must first pay attention to kidney health care. Suggest that you can eat more walnut porridge, sesame paste, etc. These foods are very beneficial to kidney recovery to help restore hearing.

2. Acupressure massage
There are many acupuncture points in the human body that are of great benefit in enhancing or treating hearing. Such as: the massage of the wind point, has a very strong effect on the treatment of hearing impairment. Daily massage for 10-15 minutes of feng feng points, 2-3 times is appropriate, continuous 15 days to restore normal hearing.

3. Medical treatment recovery
If you are unable to treat hearing-impaired patients correctly, you can seek medical advice. The internal structure of the human ear is more complex, so there are many causes of injury, and patients alone may not be able to completely cure. The doctor is more professional in the hearing impairment of the ear and is a wise choice for patient treatment.

We adopted our daughter at 6 months. She had a shingles outbreak at 18 months, then sudden and complete hearing loss to her right ear at 4 years old. Had a cochlear implant but didn't work. Now she is 11 and her left ear is showing signs of loss, though still in normal range for an adult. This past week she was diagnosed with alopecia. I noticed a few comments linking hearing and AA, and one person mentioned shingles. I feel she entered the world with a viral load and it's showing in different ways, but can't seem to find a doctor to look at the whole person--it seems we're told to wait until something happens and treat the symptoms. Obviously we're scared for her because she's so young and life is challenging as it is! Any advice or references appreciated. Thanks for posting!
Karen
Because this is an issue that increasingly affects women as they get older, there are also a variety of products and tips that can help combat hair loss in women. If you’ve noticed your hair seems to be on the thinner side lately, try using some of the tips below to remedy the problem. If you don’t start seeing results within a few months, a simple blood test by your doctor can determine if the hair loss is caused by an underlying health condition.
Life style

The most common cause of hair fall is the life style. Improper diet and excessive smoking can easily lead to hair loss. If you do not change these bad habits no hair treatment therapy will help your hair grow stronger. Try eating food rich in iron, vitamin C and vitamin B12 to give yourself shiny and strong hair and nails.

Stress and depression are also one of the main culprits for hair loss. Try different relaxing techniques such as meditation, yoga or even seeing a therapist, who can help you calm down. Your inner beauty and tranquility will immediately shine out.

Now, once you have identified the cause of your hair loss, here are a few ways how to cope with it.

Food supplements

Proper nutrition is your best ally in fighting hair loss. Protein strengthens hair and promotes growth. Food rich in Omega 3 fatty acids such as nuts, eggs, seeds and fish should be part of your daily serving. Iron, zinc and biotin are also important for the health of your human hair weave. If you cannot source them via food, you can opt for taking food supplements. Be aware, however, since they are not completely harmless. Even though you can buy them without prescription, it is better to seek advice from a doctor which supplements to take and how to combine them.

I hope all these tips will help you to manage healthy human hair.

My friend has this problem. However, he decided to buy some hearing headphones that can improve his status. Not so long I've found an article about hearing loss. It was pretty informative since it has 5 tips about five headphones that you may want to use. I'm very glad that something like this can be useful... P.S, By the way, this article has pros and cons for each product and you can also make an order from Amazon (these guys probably work with Amazon). So fi you want you can see hearing impaired headphones for yourselves...

Thanks

I had had trouble hearing for several years. At first, I didn't ask for help, but as time went on, it got worse until I lost the ability to hear everything but low-intensity sounds. My doctor couldn't determine the cause, but he said it was caused by a head injury. Also, I was told to wear a hearing aid, and my hearing might start to improve. I got the right hearing aid from an audiologist, and I'm hoping for some improvement. Has anyone had a similar situation? Did wearing hearing aids help you regain at least some of your hearing?

I have mild to moderate hearing loss, it was diagnosed in 2018 when I was 47. The doctor put it down to repeated inner year infections in my childhood, but I've long suspected AA (mine is quite severe, over 50% of scalp hair and eyebrows gone) might have affected it too. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service