I've been getting scalp and eyebrow injections since last January, about every 3 weeks. Recently, I've been having really irregular periods - about every 2 weeks for the last month and a half, plus one irregular one in the summer. My dermatologist had told me before that these shots could interfere with menstruation, especially if someone gets shots for a long amount of time like myself. 

Obviously, I will have to speak with my doctors about this, but given that the holiday season just ended, no one is in their office so I am worried! It could be that I have been very anxious and nervous these last two months, due to exams and school stress but never ever before have I had MULTIPLE periods in a month - whenever I am in extreme stress, I tend to miss periods all together.

In Spring 2013, I had done various thyroid, hormone, gyn and even neuro tests, which all came back negative (for example, at least in the spring, I was not PCOS at all, which is apparently something that causes irregular periods too, and my thyroid levels were fine). Things could have changed between Spring 2013 and now, but I won't know until I go get checked out again.

Thanks in advance if you have any insights! I don't know if I am experiencing something relatively "normal" or if this might be caused by a whole multitude of other reasons.

Epsita

Views: 2787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Goodness, Sara, I hate to ask but I will.....what were the major side effects?  I am only asking because I was thinking of doing something to help my hair growth. 

My daughter discontinued injections for that very reason. Things returned to normal within a few weeks.

Steroids are hormones, irregular periods are a side effect. Especially with injections so close together. I would just get them every 6-8 weeks. But growth started immediately, but only stubble. I developed an allergy to the injections, hives within 10 minutes of the shot. The stubble remains but it did not grow past that. If the side effects outweigh the benefits, is it worth it? With the frequency of the injections is there any growth? Research the path of treatment your doctor is using, it sounds like tweaking the frequency may definitely be in order

I did have problems with injections for hair loss.  My period did go crazy because of them.   It lasted for up to 26 days one time.  I had to quit the injections and get on a treatment to stop the irregular periods.   Now I am back to normal.  Good luck.

Oh my Anna!  26 days at one time?  Now that is not good at all.  Glad you quit the injections.  Good luck to you and Epsita.

I've been getting shots for my alopecia areata for at least 10 years. They've proven to be successful at bringing my hair back, but I haven't noticed any serious side effects from them. I only get them a few times a year, however. 

Good for you Natasha.

When you say that the injections have been successful in bringing your hair back, I have a question....do you have any bald places at all or has the injections stopped all that?  Sorry for the so personal question but I did want to know in case I go that route.

I'm 44 and started the injections 2 years ago when I was first diagnosed with AA. I only had one patch at first, got injections every 6 weeks for about 7 months. Hair grew back and life went on. Exactly a year after my first patch and 5 months after my last injection I got more patches, this time 10 patches total over about 5 months. More injections but every 4 weeks this time for about 8 months. Hair grew back and almost a year to the date another patch and then 3 more. Now I'm getting shots every 3 weeks and hair is growing back.

No major side effects, excepts for some headaches which I was told could be related to menopause. I've been perimenopausal since 39 and have had irregular periods long before the injections. I asked my dr about the long term injections and she seems unconcerned saying the doses are so minimal. I keep praying AA will go away so I can just stop injections. I had tons of blood work and no issues with thyroid etc.

For me AA goes into "remission" in spring and summer. I've never once had a new patch until late fall and winter. I've upped my vitamin D and just praying AA stops.

Shari,

My hair did grow back after the first episod of alopecia (huge bald places) where eventually I had no hair at all.  I have noticed bald spots again and I think they will eventually spread like before but I am afraid of the injections.  Was there anything else your doctor said that you could do besides the injections?

Susan

Hi Shari,

My AA is exactly like yours!  Plus I'm 44 :)

For just over the last year I have been taking VitD and this winter for the first time in 3 years I've had no bald spots.  The injections work for me and if I catch the patch early they don't get too big.  I have only had irregular periods this last year and think it is more to do with perimenopause but I will keep a close eye on things as my last injections where December and I don't think I need to go back to my January appointment. 

My son was dx 1 yr ago with patchy alopecia areata. I am in the dermatology profession in New Jersey and have been investigating other medications other then steroid injections. (My son is a non responder to steroids). I spoke with Dr. Megan Furness at Columbia in New York City who is presently doing a clinical trial with a medication that you take 2 times per day x 3 months. This research team is looking for people between the ages of 18-75 years old with patchy type AA, not AT or AU. The duration of the trial is only 3 months of treatment with 3 months of follow up. A few biopsies and blood draws need to be done periodically for research study. If you fit the above criteria please contact Dr. Furness at 212 305 6953. I am very excited about this study. The few patients that are enrolled currently see promising results.

Every 3 weeks seems very agressive. My daughter is 13 and she goes every 6 weeks. She too has experienced irregular periods. I would ask your dermatologist to increase the time between shots. Happy New Year! 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service