The other day my husband's stupid friend that I already hated asked me in front of a bunch of people if I was wearing a wig because "my scalp looked tight". I wanted to crawl in a hole for all eternity. I lost it for the rest of the day. I have already been hating my wig that I spent almost two grand on and this really sent me over the edge because for that kind of money people shouldn't be able to tell, especially some typical slub like his friend. I am still learning how to see wigs in a positive light and this was a big set back considering I attempted suicide over my hair loss only four years ago. Now I am so paranoid that everyone can tell.

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Serene,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience I think some people don't think before they speak or are just in-sensitive to what they say to others and don't think about how much it can hurt a person by what they say.
I started a new job so I decided I would buy a new wig for the new job... it was longer and more blonde than the one I had been wearing so my first day out the door for my new job a neighbor yells out " why are you wearing a wig?" I was shocked and did not know what to say except..." maybe because I have no hair" ( I had not been living at my place that long either) so of course now all the neighbors in the apartment complex knew I wore a wig and had no hair:( At first it was hard knowing that everyone knew.. but then after a while it became liberating, because now when I take my dogs out I go out with a bandanna on my head and the neighbors are use to that now.
No one can take away our inner beauty and I figure if someone knows I wear a wig does it really matter in the scheme of things a wig does not change who I'am. A wig covers our head but not our true self and inner light which is what really matters. So Serene... Hold your head up high and say I'm beautiful world and here I'am!!

Thank you for your reply, I am too starting a new job in a new state which I thought would be great because no one there would know I wear hair but I do think that I will be buying a new wig soon that will be way longer without bangs and I know people will talk....its funny if you tell them you just got extensions its no big whoop but a WIG oh lord, they all think something is wrong with me.

I know what you mean people are funny in how they think about things...if we had cancer and wore wigs we would get sympathy... but because we don't have cancer we get people thinking something is wrong with us as a person instead of trying to be compassionate about how we feel... I know some women like to wear wigs but personally I don't...and I think people need to think about how it would feel if they were in our shoes!!!
But unfortunately we are bald:( so we need to make the best of it so buy that new wig and don't worry... your co-workers may not even notice the change and may think you got a new hairstyle. Keep your chin up and know your not alone that you have all of us out here to give you support :)

OMG im so sorry to hear.. I have had that happen to me and I just turned back and said, soooo if it was would that be a problem???? leaves them dumb founded... Im sorry you went through that, but not much of a friend if you ask me xoxo

Also im guessing they said that to embarrass you cause they are jealous of your beauty xoxoxo

It was such a bizzare thing to point out. I think I should have said :why do you need a brochure? considering his own hair is looking quite sparse.

Serene, your husband was VERY WRONG for not "putting his 'friend' in check"! You're his wife! I am not feeling that at all!

I hate rude people? Sometimes when people do stuff to me I look at them point blank in the face and retort them, Why do you ask?? In general, I try to embarrass him for being rude, "wow, are you usually that rude or are you just having a bad day?", "didn't your mom teach you manners?",....
I think sometimes these questions are an attempt to make us squirm, sometimes people are just curious. However the curious people wouldn't ask in such a public way. Therefore, I try to make sure in situations like the one you described, that I don't let them see me squirm and that I face their rude behavior with strength and assertiveness.
Good luck..

I really think its just down right his own stupidity. Sort of like asking a women if she's pregnant when she isn't.

An apology is definitely warranted here. I hope you've also talked to your husband about your expectations from him.

Be strong.

I could imagine how u feel, in high school i was called the most disgusting names..the only way people won't judge me is when they think i have cancer.

I am thinning and balding in large patches constantly, they don't seem to be regrowing and I feel a wig is in the near future...I feel for all of you but also your posts scare me! Does everyone go through this with other people, comments and day to day battle?...I thought a wig was supposed to make/help things better!

I also thought it was better. But people not accept a woman without hair in our society.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service