The title says a lot, but let me elaborate.

First, wigs are an extra bill.  I spend so much getting custom wigs that I'm not even happy in, and have to buy a new one about every month because they start looking more unnatural than a wig should after that time.

Every single person on this site wants their hair back if they lost it, myself included.  I get emotional when I'm putting my wigs on or taking them off, and some days I have to fight back tears seeing my bald scalp and my "hair" on a plastic head.  I'm so paranoid as well about the wig falling off, and would never want anyone to see me without it and my eyebrows/fake lashes.  Even on a site like this, one with many people in the same boat as me, I won't post pictures of myself without my wig on.  I never take them, because I'm afraid someone might stumble into them and, in a few years, I want to remember me with my wigs on that look somewhat like my old hair than the bald woman I hate being in reality.

I've had to limit myself a lot in what I do.  I don't go in the water at the beach anymore, and if I go at all I put a hat on and just read while I sweat under my thick brown wig and resist the temptation to itch at sand that gets under the front.  Wind is a nightmare-- I've actually had nightmares about a strong gust of wind taking my wig with it, and my hand is always on the front of my wig whenever it starts.  My wig doesn't have lace on the back, and I don't want someone to see something that suggests that the wig on top of my head isn't my actual hair.  I rarely play with my son anymore, because I'm afraid he'll tug at the wig and he's never seen me bald.

The self-consciousness is killing me.  After every period at the school I teach I go to the woman's room with my makeup in my purse to redo my eyebrows and the makeup around the wig.

I just want my hair back.

Views: 5051

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, a lot of people do give a darn.  That's just miserable for friends  to speak to you like that.

I can provide information for you to read and it just makes sense.  We loose our hair possible from heredity, chemicals, stress and DHT. 

I went though balding In many spots and lost half of my hair.  I'm using Monat all naturally based products.  These are two of the main ingredients they use in every product. It helps nourish the hair follicles to stabilize and hold the bulb in place (so we don't loose that hair).

Read and see what you think. 

PROCATALINE™

Features Pea Extract, a rich source of secondary metabolites, which deliver healthy nutrients to promote hair growth, reduces the production of the (DHT) hormone that contributes to hair loss, plus powerful antioxidants to combat premature thinning, as well as protect color and shine.

Benefits:

-Maintains a healthy environment for hair growth.
-Preserves the hair follicle.
-Aids in prevention of hair loss.
-Helps protect against environmental damage.
-Protects the natural pigment in the follicle.

CRODASORB™

A powerful formula that packs an intense defense against oxidative stress, protects from the sun’s damaging rays and resultant UVB damage, Cordasorb™ also preserves hair’s natural pigmentation and keeps strands stronger and locks in moisture.

Benefits:

-Protects natural and synthetic coloring as well as gray hair.
-Absorbs high amounts of UVB and UVA light.
-Penetrates the hair, allowing it to protect both the cuticle and the cortex.
-Helps to smooth the cuticle for less damage and breakage.

I not only used it to regrow my hair back because I was almost to the point of a wig. Actually I  had looked at them.  A friend introduced me to MONAT and now I am helping others with cancer who are losing their hair, friends that have hair loss, or just want an anti-aging hair care line.

Take a look at the SCIENCE OF MONAT and let me know if I can help you stop wearing your wigs and get your hair the healthiest it has ever been. 

http://barbaralinzey.mymonat.com/science/index.html

I know what it feels like.  Hair loss doesn't discrimate against any age, race or age.  All we want to know is "WHEN WILL IT STOP?"

In His grace and blessings,

Barbara

Great outlook, Marie!

I particularly enjoyed this statement because it is so darn logical in how we should view our wigs: 

"No one feels shamed by purchasing a Victoria Secret padded bra or getting gel nails!"

Ha, love it too!

@ Marie "Now and then on these forums, I get the feeling that members view going bald in public as the only way to properly accept or deal with Alopecia."

Dear Lord I hope I have never ever made anyone feel that way. For me going bald in public has been a good way to realize that the world isn't going to grab it's torches and pitchforks and chase me out of town... But I don't recommend it for everyone and I don't do it all the time.

That's been a good reminder that I should be careful how I say what's been good for me, is not necessarily a recommendation for someone else

Check YouTube for wig makers , their are also tutorials that show you how to apply elastic bands to your wigs to make them more secure plus a whole lot of helpful videos dealing with wigs and human hair wigs that can be washed and styled.

Kristin,

First of all, thanks for writing this.  I can empathize with you.  I feel the same way.  I am so tired of getting wigs that don't fit, look unnatural and rub and scratch your hairline. In addition, the cost.  Having to wear wigs daily, has sent me in a deep depression and has destroyed my self-esteem.  

I have Grave's disease and just recently got diagnosed with Lupus, which has caused me to lose a great deal of my hair.  I also has a small head, which makes it even more difficult to find something to fit properly.  

In closing, I just want my hair back as well.

Everyone needs to check out full lace wigs. If is not worn daily, but removed every two weeks. It is secured with glue and very secure. It comes in human hair, lasts 2 months, and costs $150-$250 avg. They come from China. Google it. I can't imagine going back to a traditional itchy wig!

Links, please!

Yes links please Trish:)

I am new and reading the awesome comments and I hate that so many women hurt, feel sick and get depressed, but hair is hair.  It's our hair and it's a pride thing.  IT's sad how society dictates a certain look, but God knows our hearts and who we are. 

If any of you ever want to stop thinking "wigs" and the expense, I will share some educational information with you and or send you information if you wish.   I was almost bald and thinking of that W ... word.  It was really bad and I was to the point of depression and not wanting to socialize, get out of the house.  Don't do that.  There's hope. 

Let me know if you want the website.  

Blessings,

Barbara

Barbara,

Thank you.  I would love the website.  I am at that point of depression.  I need so much help.

Karen

Karen,

Just remember you are not alone.  Millions of people, both men and women loose their hair because of DHT.  Most people don't research or take the time to really dig in. 

This is the "Science of Monat" which addresses DHT.  Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) .  DHT shrinks follicles, the bulb and destabilizes the follicle, therefore the hair root falls out.  Each follicle may contain 1 to 4 hairs.  If the follicle is full of DHT, it causes release and therefore balding.  Don't be ashamed.  I was almost bald and I felt like JOB

The hormonal process of testosterone converting to DHT, which then harms hair follicles, happens in both men and women. Under normal conditions, women have a minute fraction of the level of testosterone that men have, but even a lower level can cause DHT-triggered hair loss in women.

http://barbaralinzey.mymonat.com/science/index.html

I am working with cancer patients that have lost every ounce of their hair. They are so happy knowing there is hope.  And, a friend of mine was bald and her hair grew back beautifully. She had straight silver and black hair.  After using Monat for 6 months, she had the most gorgeous shiney dark curly hair.  She is 70.

1.   About what percentage of hair have you lost so far? 

2. How long has this been going on?

3.  Is your hair fine, thick, wavy, straight (former hair)?

4.  What products did you use before hair loss?

5.  Did you color and perm or do Brazilian blowout or was your hair natural?

Blessings.

Barbara

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service