Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the whole alopecia thing, and I've notice several changes to my body beyond hair loss. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing anything similar, or if they have any advice. 

1) My cuts seem to take FOREVER to heal. Does anyone else have this problem? I also find my colds and allergies are worse than normal.

2) My nails and cuticles are flaky and a mess. The also become infected very easily. Does this happen to anyone else?

3) This one is a bit icky, but I'm having lots of ingrown hairs, especially in regions that don't see a lot of exposure (bikini zone, stomach, and feet). Can anyone recommend anything? I'm using Bikini Zone, but it's pricey and I'm going through way too much to stave off the itching. 

Thanks for all your help!

Views: 2521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting -  I haven't noticed (and I"ve had AU for 14 years) any issues with colds and allergies beyond eyes being irritated more than often.  My recommendation is taking good quality probiotics daily and watching your diet - limit the sugar, if  you haven't already.

My nails have severe lines and split easily. Often a nail will crack and bleed. My hangnails flare up esp in the fall and winter - only thing that eases pain is (for me, anyway) pure shea butter.   Anything with chemicals seems to burn my skin.

No - can't help you with #3!  I did have that issue way before I had AU though. :)

Years  ago I was diagnosed with having Raynoids Syndrome, with affect the tips of your fingers. You may want to research that. In myself, it doesn't show itself all the time, but every now and then, my fingers start to crack, almost like I spent the day playing guitar, the tips of my fingers are completely numb. The diagnostician who was visiting the hospital one day, when I was in for surgery,  came to talk to me, in regards to stuff the nurses had commented, out of the blue,he came sat, chatted with me, and noticed my fingers.I also have marks on my nails that goes vertically, and horizontally, some kind of deficient for sure. They also pit, but haven't in a few years now.  Like I said, our doctors have no clue to what affects us, and we know more than they do.

A year after I was diganosed with AU, I went to a endocrinologist. He ran some blood tests and discovered that I had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Once you have one autoimmune disorder, you are more apt to get more. Side affects to mine are extreme ecxema. My fingers peel and crack, often causing bleeding. I had been on medication for a low thyroid already, but endos will test for levels that other doctors won't. Don't hesitate to go to an endocrinologist.

did they radiate your thyroid, Hasimoto's hyperthyroid, they radiate, and then your hypothyroid, and need levothyroxin, or synthroid

Mine is not hyper, it is hypo. And no, it has not been radiated. I have been on l-thyroxine for several years. My doctor has adjusted the dose based on the T3 levels. It is called Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hashimotos-disease/ba...

Hi! I have AU and my nails have been pitted and ridged since it came about. I'm no expert but I find that what works for me is Omega 3's - fish oil and flaxseed oil. Those with a multivitamin daily straighten and strengthen them out for me. 

Good luck with everything! 

mine have never straightened out, I've tried everything

Yes, I have solar urticaria (sun allergies now),  and I have been taking a very strong & expensive allergy pill (Xyzak). I recently ran out and I'm no longer using my old insurance so I have been without them for about three months. but the good news is, I've been doing the Green Smoothie Detox since the end of July and I have not had any episodes at all. I use to break out in whelps and hives, itch and burn after being in the sun for about 2-3 minutes. 

Have you had your Ferritin tested? That is another part of your iron. I finally found a Dr. who looked for that in a blood test and found mine to be low. In a two month period I lost about 90% of the hair on my head and my nails were very week. He put he on a prescription iron supplement and it took about three months to get my levels up and once they were my hair few back and my nails were healthy. It seems like something lots of Drs do not want to look into, but it helped me. Good luck!

This is an interesting topic.  When I first developed AA which soon went to AU my eyelids thickened.  And even though my hair returned my eyelid margins never went back to normal.  My hair lasted about 5 years and then it all fell out again.  Back to AU, and my eyes are frequently irritated.  Overall I have been healthy.  My nose is frequently moist, and without hair it is sometimes hard to tell that it is dripping-ick. 

As an older woman it is usually assumed that I am on chemo-I even had a derm doc ask me if I was on chemo.  When I told her AU she seemed surprised and said, "That is very rare"?!?

There is a product you can find in some health stores, or online, called Diatomaceous Earth. It is fossilized algae. It is super high in Silica. It helps big time in rebuilding healthy nails, and hair if you have any. It also has a host of other beneficial effects for the body including detoxification by having an ionic charge. I suggest doing a google search on it. Food Grade D.E has been used in the food industry for quite a while. Of course water intake is also very important. 

My suggestion to you is find a good alternative doctor or dematologist in your area that specialize in hair loss to help you identify some of the underlying causes connected to these conditions you are currently having.   When a person is experiencing alopecia areate or like the, immune system is being compromised.    You need help in finding out why.  The problems with permanent and temporary hair loss are connected with internal causes, as well as, external causes.  Do your homework, the fact that you are experiencing colds, allergies (worse than normal), and itching are signs that require more detail testing to identify your problem.  Just my personal opinion, most of what you are discribing is coming from the digestive system and consider a diet change.    Today, it is suggested that people use salves, lotions and hair care products to atttempt to remedy hair loss problems.   Get to the root of your problem. You have a number of issues going on - health and hair goes hand and hand.   The trick is finding professionals that truly understand hair loss and the problems conntected to hair loss issues.  

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service