I was diagnosed with Alopecia in January and twice now my insurance has denied me to see a dermatologist. They keep saying the Alopecia is cosmetic. I am a mother of one and have no extra money to even buy a wig let alone pay for a dermatologist out of pocket. I need all the help I can get. In 4 months I have already lost 95% of my hair on my head as well as hair on other parts of my body. If anyone knows how or where I can get help with a wig and or doctors please let me know. 

Views: 3478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry to hear your problem, personally I would do this naturally rather than bother with doctor's, they don't actually know why this happens, so save the stress, mine just said "you don't see any bald women" oh yeah he should see me, I just thought him an idiot!! you may as well use up your energy sorting this yourself and from the inside.  Up your protein intake take loads of b vitamins, evening primrose, biotin, a high quality omega fish oil.  Eat no sugar! or wheat products, up your green leafy veg intake especially kale, massage rosemary oil into your scalp at night.  The hair loss over the entire body could be thyroid, so eat a diet rich in fish.  My hair is starting to grow back, just small signs, but it's good to see after the stress of loosing it.  I saw a naturopath and she helped me with changing my diet, google the info there is loads out there for you, good luck and persevere as it wont happen overnight, but feeling well inside will make the hair grow well.

Why are you trying to see a derm?  They can do nothing for you, but eat your money.  Someone suggested an Endocrinologist....yeah, right - has anyone priced them?  Totally out of reach for most people.  Most ins does not cover wigs, no matter what you call them...they just don't cover them.  Maybe for some, what you eat matters.  I feel for most, it does not.  Save your money ....special foods, vitamins, etc. will probably not do anything for you.  It is an autoimmune disease, and nothing to do with vitamins, special foods, etc.  Search online for where you can get a donated wig in your area, but, also, doubtful it would be anything you would really want to wear.  Try to get a cheaper wig online or visit a wig shop, but they would be very costly.  But it would give you an idea of what you are looking for, and what looks good on you.  The better name brands will be more expensive, and they don't stay looking good for very long.   Oh, and yes, your primary care could write a script for the slew of blood tests the derm. would do anyway.  If you don't have good insurance, plan for a large bill because the cost of the blood work is astronomical.  I think most people's shows nothing.  I would agree to have your thyroid checked, though.  First thing.

Courage, here in France, we have a "support" for the wig but not for the lotions, just the drugs, but it does not exist here. I hope that a chain of solidarity in your country will do gifts, good luck. I have lost my hair in the 1 week and the rest in 1 month. 4 years later, I still can not accept me and I do not like to wear of wig, just man of caps. I have of to resume work and people stay far from me, they have to think that I am contagious, my morale is thus at the lowest and I understand very well your test... kiss of France

hello

my name is Heidi bratt and I would like to let you now  that alopecia areata is not cosmetic  alopecia

areata is a auto- immune permanent hair loss diease and  if you would  like to talk to me  you can contact me

at 978- 312-1250 or email me at  heidibratt650@yahoo.com and I  am all so sending you my website which has  info on what is alopecia areata which is - www.heidibrattssenatebill.com  since I am   member of naaf and a telephone support contact person for naaf   love and support Heidi bratt

Hi Nicole,

I'm so sorry! This happened to me as well. The school I attend provides health insurance. And they changed insurance one year. And in the policy, it stated they did not cover alopecia because it is cosmetic! I felt so infuriated. I called the insurance company, and spoke with them, which was also disappointing. It may be possible to appeal it. But like others have said, it might be helpful to do some research about scholarships and assistance in order to get a wig. There's got to be something out there! I will look into it as well, and see what I can come up with!

Keep your head up!! :)

Ellen

hello ellen,

my name is Heidi bratt and the that statement on coverage for alopecia areata  is cosmetic  is wrong 

alopecia areata  is a auto - immune  permanent hair  loss diease and I think the   insurance companies say that  it is cosmetic is  because they do not want to pay for wigs  for   people that has alopecia areata   since I am a  

part time advocate on a very  vital and necessary senate bill 430 which is to get  coverage for wigs for  people that has alopecia areata   and  I am sending you my website ellen  that has  info on alopecia areata and what we

go through and  etc which is www.heidibrattsenatebill.com  and   if you have any questions ellen  or you need to talk to me  please feel free to contact me at  heidibratt650@yahoo.com or 978- 312-1250  and I am all so a member of naaf and a telephone support contact person for naaf to  love and support Heidi bratt

Thanks, Heidi.  It should be noted SB 430 is a state bill that would only effect those in Massachusetts.  The National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF) is endeavoring to have the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) correct their current policy and allow Medicare and Medicaid to cover cranial prostheses for anyone in the U.S. with alopecia areata.  Please go to www.naaf.org.

Your insurance is insane.  For one thing, they cover a lot of other diseases which are 'cosmetic', like vitiligo, but even more egregious is that they cover a prosthetic eye and a silicone breast form, both of which do not perform any medical function but DO replace a missing body part, exactly the way a wig replaces your missing hair - also a body  part.  Don't let them get away with it.  Find a lawyer who is willing to write a letter to the insurance company telling them that they will be sued for discrimination if they don't help.  Some lawyers will take a case on a contingency basis and only get paid if they win some money for you.  Sadly, there isn't much a dermatologist can do for you in terms of 'curing' your alopecia, but at least they can write you a prescription for a full scalp prosthesis and you can go from there to try and get a wig covered.  Try just having your regular doctor write you a prescription for a wig.  They will surely cover an inexpensive one, but they SHOULD cover you for a prosthesis - it should be covered under the DME, durable medical equipment part of your policy.  Don't give up.  The wheel that squeaks the loudest gets the grease.

Did you talk to your dr? Tell him they are saying it is cosmetic, many times they will write a letter explaining that alopecia is an auto immune not cosmetic. Ins Cos are just ignorant to what different Heath concerns really are.

Hi Nicole, 

So sorry to hear what you are going through.  It is frustrating dealing with insurance companies on top of the trauma of losing your hair.  I have been there and am still there.  If you would like a used wig that is still in great condition, I would be happy to send you one of mine.  The key truly is to get the right fit and style, as someone else said.  My email is Turtlduv@gmail.com.  If you send a pic or describe your hair color and style, I will see what I can do.  

Blessings,

Angela

Angela thank you. My natural color is black but I guess since my hair is 95% gone any color would do. My boyfriend said changing the color is like an adventure. 

This is awful--go on record today with someone Senior at your insurance agency (keep names, dates of calls, etc), then call NAAF registry and get a list of doctor's/insurance  who can help you. I don't know  if they will cover a wig, however, but since Alopecia is an auto-immune disease, it definitely should be covered to see a dermatologist just like any other skin disease. Good luck--I am sorry you are doing through this.    

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service