I will give you a brief history...

I am 28. I have three different auto-immune issues that did not start until after I had kids....up until then, healthy, college athlete. I have always had a thick unruly head of hair......always had it thinned out at hair appts...My Dad had a Afro so I was "blessed" with crazy thick, puffy hair. My first auto-immune issue was Thyroid...I had a 20 month old and newborn and my TSH was 189 (should be under 2). Not long after that, I developed Palmar Plantar Pustular Psoriasis and lost all of the skin on my hands and feet. I am still struggling with this but it is at least manageable at this point. After I stopped nursing our third child at 1 yr, my hair started to fall out rapidly...it was completely gone (except for a stubborn few) in about 2 months time. I have been bald for the last three months. I was somehow blessed in that my eyebrows and lashes were intact but they are falling out now too.

I will miss my eyebrows and eyelashes but overall, I don't mind being bald. It was very nice this summer...soooo much cooler! I used to overheat all the time...was actually kind of nice to enjoy the breeze. I do have a synthetic wig that I wear off and on...I think it will be fun to get a few more to try different looks. There are days that I miss my hair but I have kind of got used to and almost enjoyed my new found freedom from my hot head of hair.

Should I want it back? Is this a normal reaction? How are you guys approaching it? I have DPCP but I quit taking it after a month...didn't seem to do much but I also didn't give it much time...

Views: 1357

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks everyone for all the great input. I agree...I love my bald head! I guess I was feeling a bit quilty for doing so. I know that many people are not comfortable being bald so I am sensitive to that and honestly, I still have my days! It is great to meet you guys! I agree that if we dwell on the downsides too much - it will only bring us down. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you guys...it is nice to have other people to talk to who have "been there" and are still there though. Looking forward to talking more with all of you hairless hotties! haha
Hi Everyone, How are you all today your baldy hotties lol. I today am ok with my baldness, some days I hate it as every guy I have a date with they look at me without hair and run, being single at 44 isnt great but what the hell I feel good about myself and I like myself without hair, it is their problem not mine. I actually like being part of a community which we all are the alopecian community, it makes me feel that we have strength if we pull together and go through the journey together. I know I have come out the other side and helping people in my support group go through the process, but it is hard.

I have flu so feeling a bit low today, had to cancel my wig trying session and evening as I am so ill. bo hoo, never mind another chocolate is coming my way, wish I could taste it, but at least I remember the taste. Have good sleeps everyone, take care.

Karen

No cf course not. That is a natural desire.

I think however you feel about your own hair is just fine. Who cares what "normal" is. This is your "new normal". That is how I rationalize my baldness....it's my new normal. I have had Alopecia for 40 years and I just shaved my head for the first time 2 weeks ago. So much had fallen out that it became necessary to shave it off. What a wonderful thing! For today I love my bald head. Good luck and best wishes with this challenge.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service