Hello everyone, 

I am so glad I found this website, in France, women hair loss is a bit of a taboo and I don't have a lot of people to talk to, except my boyfriend.

Well, I still have some hair, a lot but really thin and they look ugly. I used to have curly thick hair and now and after an alopecia (we still do not know if this AGA or loss related to stress), I don't feel myself anymore, I am obsessed with this. 

After running tons of blood tests, after crying everyday I am fed-up, I cannot take it anymore. Besides, my scalp itches as hell. It burns sometimes as I have psoriasis. 

Tomorrow I have an appointment again to a wig shop (the ladies there are really nice, they did not want to sell me anything until I did the full medical checks). I have done it now and they have not found anything more. 

I still have hair but I cannot watch myself anymore, do you think it is right to shave anyway? I think I will feel free... Besides, if I shave, do you (by experience), think that the psoriasis will calm down?

To finish with, is the scalp itches with the wig? Thanks in advance. 

Views: 398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Cindie, 

I think you summarized the situation perfectly, I am going to do it, I have been thinking and I can't take it anymore ! Thanks for this advice :)

You are right, I have thin hair but we cannot really see bald spots, just the thinning overall... Thanks for the advice, I will do this, as I said, I am sleeping better since i know I will get rid of them!

Hi

To shave your hair is a very personal decision and one that needs to be thought through very carefully.  

My daughter decided at 12 years old to shave what was left of her hair.  The process while being very challenging was also very positive.  As she no longer counted hairs or was concerned about hair coming or going.  She took some control back as to how she was going to manage her alopecia.  

At that time we had decided to wear a wig was going to be a good option for her.  After a lot of investigation we decided a Freedom Wig was the choice that would be most helpful for her needs.  I am an advocate for Freedom Vacuum Wigs and can not say enough about how great these wigs have been for her and many others I meet.

The concerns my daughter had at that time were and continue to be relevant for her life.  She needed a wig that looked natural, was comfortable (she has eczema and itchiness was a problem she couldn't cope with), she wanted to wear her hair in ponytails and bunches, she wanted to be able to swim and live life, she wanted to be able to wear her wig with out glues or tapes.  A Freedom Vacuum wig ticked all these boxes and we have never looked back.   

I personally feel that a wig must fit into your needs as best as possible.  So, please investigate all the choices available before you make a decision.

My daughter was 12 when she lost her hair she is now 23 years old... She has been wearing Freedom Vacuum Wigs for the last 11 years and I am so thankful that this option was available to her.  Here she is ....this photo was taken last week (it's a selfie...not that mine ever look like hers lol).  I hope it helps for you to start investigating fully what is available and may be able to help.

Rosy

Hey Rose Marie, 

Your daughter is beautiful indeed and I cannot see this is a wig! You are right, shaving my head is a tough decision, I am a bit stressed out about doing it, but I will tell you something, I do not like them anymore, what's the point of keeping them? They are poisoning my life now... I have carefully read your post and you have made a good point. 

When you say "The process while being very challenging was also very positive.  As she no longer counted hairs or was concerned about hair coming or going." I really want to shave it off now :D I am counting the hairs, I am pulling them out and I can't look at the old pictures of myself. Besides, I feel so ugly that I don't want to go out anymore, I am ashamed sometimes... So I have been thinking about this for so long, that I think this is the best solution. As I said, I won't see myself being balder everyday and I will get use to have short hair from now. I am not sure freedom wigs are available in France, as I said, we unfortunately don't have a lot of choices when we have Alopecia but I need to check on internet for Freedom wigs! Thanks again!

Hey there, I just want to give you news about my hair; This morning I cut everything, the hairdresser did an hair cut really short, it is so beautiful that I will not put the wig on, I prefer without in fact. I feel so beautiful I cannot believe it. This is the first time in years I am feeling so great. So thanks everyone for the advices you gave me :D

I shaved it about a half hour ago. How long before I'm not freaked out about it?

Do you like it? I freaked out a little bit after and now I am ok!

I don't. I keep thinking I should have kept what I had. From the front I just had receding hair. But from the back, I didn't have much hair left and most of the left side of my head was also bare. I know it's the best thing to do to shave it but it's going to take some getting used to. I texted one of my kids a pic right after I shaved it so he won't freak when he sees me in a couple days but he hasn't replied yet. It's making me think he's freaked out now. Hopefully I'll get used to it soon.

Have you thought about buying a wig maybe? I mean, if you don't like your new look, maybe you will feel better with the wig on. I am not a big fan of the wig on my head to be honest, I feel funny but if you live in US or UK, there is some really good wig shops, so you can find anything you need. I hope you gonna get used to your new hair style.

No.  I'll go with what I have.  Better to look like Shaun T ( I do Insanity and T25) than to have my hair continue to fall out. Peace out.

Attachments:

Haha, Shaun T, it is better to laugh about it you see! MJ, you have been brave so don't beat yourself up. Focus on insanity and how good this is for your body and how your body is positively changing. I do a lot of strength training and it helps me with this "condition" of ours. I am seeing my body changing and becoming stronger so I feel more confident when it comes to my body, even if I hate my hair. This morning when I woke up I freaked out and now I am ok again. Other people's reaction was really encouraging for the moment, I am just waiting for one idiot to tell me "whyyyyyy did you do this". I think I will have a nervous breakdown....

It sounds like you've pretty much made your mind up to shave it already. I did see a girl on youtube who had scalp psoriasis and when she shaved her head it cleared up really well.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service