Hi everyone,

I was officially diagnosed with AA on Tuesday, June 19th after noticing a large bald spot on the left hand side of my scalp. My AA seems to only be affecting the left side of my body...my left eyebrow is half gone.

The dermatologist gave me some cortisone injections into my scalp, which was probably one of the worst experiences of my life. I have to have these injections done every 4 weeks, as well as apply a cortisone cream to my eyebrow (because they can't do injections in that area) and use another type of ointment all over my scalp in hopes of thickening it all over.

Of course she has told me that the injections work 80% of the time, and that my eyebrow MAY grow back in a few months or a year but that ultimately the only predictable thing about Alopecia is that it is totally UNPREDICTABLE.....great...

Anyways, I found this site and so I'm hoping that maybe by talking to others, I may not feel so helpless in all of this. I am incredibly scared of losing all my hair and very self conscious about my eyebrow...I am praying that the cortisone will work or that I go into "remission" and it never reoccurs. I try not to think about it too much, but it's very difficult.

Thanks for reading.

-Danielle

Views: 4099

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi

Stop freaking, start loving yourself......

Thanks so much for the kind words xox

This is so weird, my left side is where it all started. My left eyebrow is almost gone and all my lashes on my left eye are gone. Looking a bit lopsided here :P.

Havn't gotten a diagnosis yet just a "It's probably Alopecia" from my doctor. By the time it's "my turn" at the dermatologist I'll probably be bald. It's been going really fast which is a problem for me. I don't have time to adjust or process this. I don't feel fear just frustration. I can't grieve. Just goes to show how different people react to the "same" thing. I kinda wish I could feel something, more than this surreal numbness. I guess sooner or later it'll hit.

The injections scare me, I think I'll skip that, could be my numbness talking, but I'd rather be hairless than put through something that everyone describes as torture without result.

Since we're both new at this, anytime you want to talk I'm here.

Hi Danielle,

I understand completely what you are going through. I was diagnosed with AA roughly 3 years ago, and I too was scared about what was happening. I, too, lost the hair on the left side of my head as well as a few quarter sized spots around the scalp. I tried all of the treatments offered by my dermatologist (shots, creams, sprays, etc.) and all I ended up with was a medicine cabinet full of a myraid of drugs to treat the side effects. It was extremely frustrating.

In the end, I gave up on the medical route since it was just making me sicker and sicker. I would like to recommend that you do some research to see if there is an herbalist in your area. I went for something called a Meridian Stress Assessment, and basically what it does is identify what vitamins and minerals your system is lacking in order to get you balanced. Then an herbalist can provide you with what is needed to get you back to normal. I did that and after 4 months of treatment I had my hair back (it was short, but I had hair).

The only pitfall of that approach is that it can get quite costly since it's not covered by insurance. When I couldn't afford it any more, I gave up and started buying wigs. Today, I have a spot roughly the size of a half dollar on the right side of my head that is bald, and several thin spots at the hair line. I can't seem to grow my hair longer than about 3 inches or it starts to fall out again, so I simply gave up and wear wigs.

I've found the wigs to be a lot of fun. There are literally hundreds of styles out there, and you can experiment with color as well. I have a lot of fun with it, and now have roughly 20 different wigs (different lengths, colors, and styles). Most of the synthetic wigs are cost effective, and they don't look like fake hair at all.

I've come to terms with my condition, and instead of feeling bad about it, I try to inspire others. There are a lot worse things out there than losing your hair, and most people have no idea the hair I "wear" is not my own. I get to reinvent myself every day, and I now feel more confident and have more self esteem than I ever have before. Don't ask me why, I don't really know. I guess I was just lucky that those who know me have been very supportive and stand with me when I try a new look. It has become a lot of fun for everyone I know.

The best advice I can give you right now is to learn to embrace your inner beauty, that's where your true beauty lies anyway. If I can offer any help, please feel free to reach out to me.

Hi Danielle, I know it can be tough. I was diagnosed when I was 10 yrs. old and I have had it for over 2 decades. I had to go through middle school, high school and college with at first alopecia areata. I had to do "comb overs" (lol) and all. I was an athletic girl and played handball with the girls and guys and wore a baseball cap. The comb overs worked till I got in college with breakout round bald spots and some bigger here and there over my scalp. I only used topical white anthralin creams but unfortunately when I stopped using it the alopecia would return. Docs suggested shots in scalp, I said no way and started with vitamins which made the alopecia stop for a while but came back in others. Little by little I learned to realize that I had to adjust my life to it and live. I have totalis now, but wear a scarf and tennis/baseball cap. Got involved in tennis, work the US Open, have 3 grown sons, own a home based cleaning biz and moved on You gotta. My mom had one alopecia spot. I remember she bought "white iodine". It came in a little bottle and you apply it right on the spot. It burns like crazy but in wks the fuzz and the hair grew back and never came back. I was so busy raising a family, keeping a job, doing the open, playing tennis I didn't have money or liked the idea of a wig, so here I am. I think I will buy the "white iodine" today if they still distribute it in conveninece stores or pharmacies. I can't lose now, lol. Take care. It's a process but if the shots are hurting badly I recommend stop. Get the white iodine. If you've got money for a wig, research that, talk to people that do have wigs and if you need relief get a bandanna. Been wearing them for decades. Get back to me if you need to.

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service