Hi All! My six year old granddaughter is rapidly heading to AT  :-(  I have been searching for child size scarves, turbans and/or knit caps - with little luck. Right now, I'm specifically looking for a comfortable, light-weight cap or "beanie" that will stay on during her gymnastics class - and something that could also be used under her (horse-back) riding helmet.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Views: 843

Replies to This Discussion

Hi.  My daughter began with AA when she was 4 yrs old.  It resolved.  It returned when she was 8 years old to about > 75+% of hair loss.  After ~ a year, it began to regrow but she still has patches of alopecia remaining (~ 20%).  She just got a GI virus, and colds/illness tends to trigger 'episodes' so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does not return with a vengence again and will instead continue to regrow. 

What she has been wearing when she was at her 'worst' and continues today at school is a wide headband.  After much trial and error, I found www.headsuphairwear.com. ; Get the 'soft wide headband' that is 11" at the widest part for the most coverage.  They come in different colors and are comfortable.  It costs about $7-8.  She even wears it under her horseback riding helmet.  It is easy to put on and adjust without a mirror so if she plays and it moves, she can quickly slide it back into place.  She did not like wearing wigs. 

Her hair loss was mostly on the top, sides, and back of scalp.  She had some hair in the front and high up hairs in the back of her scalp so it looked like she had bangs and hair in the back, although it was very thin.  She did not shy away from having her school picture taken in her headband and looks beautiful.  She is like a child of the 60s (hippie like). 

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Patty - I will take a look at the link you shared. My Babygirl made the choice to shave what little hair she had left on her head back in October. She said, "I am a strong kid! I like my bald head! I am ME!" She is truly amazing to me! She has since lost all of her hair, including brows & almost all of her lashes (universalis). She is not the least bit self-conscience of her baldness. She, like your daughter, didn't like wigs at all. She will wear a cap or hat - when it's cold, or when out in the the sun - and enjoys her variety of headbands. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out!

Hi, again, Patty! I just got around to looking at the link you sent for the headbands. So many choices! Love 'em! And, they look like just the thing for under her riding helmet :-) She sweats like crazy under that helmet in the Georgia heat...  (Btw, I am originally from Long Island) Thanks, again!

I must have a good 5+ of the wide headbands.....she knows the difference between wide that offers the most head coverage and not....and chooses the best color to go with her outfit of the day.  She likes wearing them they are so comfortable!  And wears them under her horsebackriding helmet without problems.  Good luck!

At the NAAF conference last summer, Follea had super soft and cute kid size knit caps. I wonder if you can contact them directly for more info. 

RSS

Disclaimer

Any mention of products and services on Alopecia World is for informational purposes only; it does not imply a recommendation or endorsement by Alopecia World. Nor should any statement or representation on this site be construed as professional, medical or expert advice, or as pre-screened or endorsed by Alopecia World. Alopecia World is not responsible or liable for any of the views, opinions or conduct, online or offline, of any user or member of Alopecia World.

© 2024   Created by Alopecia World.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service